ReefCleaners.org

Schreiba's ADA 60-F

teamschreiba

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear the red bugs are back but the good thing is you can easily remove the frags for treatment. I know its a hassle but its totally worth it. I know that mame must be a pain to clean(thats why in the end i decided to pass on it altogether)....i was already tired of cleaning my lily pipes when i had the 60-F.

Well If your gonna go....go all out! :D This would be an awesome upgrade to a 60-F

Oops I meant 100 gallon shallow. That would be awesome. You could have a real tidal pool in there, then have it slope down to sps, lps, then softs, then sand flats. Mini nems in the pool. 2 SOLs, one dimmer over the pool and the other brighter. Could even do a real sunrise/sunset with two modules - one gets brighter before the other etc..

Too Lazy to upload pics, but if you want I can text you pics form my cell of my custom acrylic 36" shallow tank with an external overflow. If not, I will try to sign up for photo bucket or something like that and upload the pics

teamschreiba
12 would be good

True... I might be thinking something with a little more depth but I always seem drawn to the shallow tanks :P

Sorry to hear the red bugs are back but the good thing is you can easily remove the frags for treatment. I know its a hassle but its totally worth it. I know that mame must be a pain to clean(thats why in the end i decided to pass on it altogether)....i was already tired of cleaning my lily pipes when i had the 60-F.

Well If your gonna go....go all out! :D This would be an awesome upgrade to a 60-F

Yeah I know, and I've read that using the "bayer insecticide dip" can make the SPS almost resistant to red bugs in the future which is great. You definitely made a good decision though, as great as the MAME looks in pictures, it's just not very practical.

And that tank is sooo nice looking, but also $$$. I'm definitely going rimless and low-iron glass no matter what the upgrade ;)

36x36x12 is my dream. Do it!

I'm doing lots of research! Last night I was looking into lighting and that was at least 2-3 hours by itself. Tough call because a 250W or 400W MH seems like the best option for a tank with those dimensions. T5's would cost a ton of money when it comes time to change bulbs and LED initial setup costs would be really high as well.

Oops I meant 100 gallon shallow. That would be awesome. You could have a real tidal pool in there, then have it slope down to sps, lps, then softs, then sand flats. Mini nems in the pool. 2 SOLs, one dimmer over the pool and the other brighter. Could even do a real sunrise/sunset with two modules - one gets brighter before the other etc..

Man you're killing me :P I'm going to end up spending a fortune haha

Too Lazy to upload pics, but if you want I can text you pics form my cell of my custom acrylic 36" shallow tank with an external overflow. If not, I will try to sign up for photo bucket or something like that and upload the pics

I've done some research and found a few examples and now need to decide if I really want to upgrade or not. Thanks for the help!

teamschreiba
i have to say that t5s have made an amazing impression on me, thats what id do

Yeah I could have them for actinic supplementation but I'd probably stick with MH for primary lighting. I'm considering MH + LED's for actinics too.

In other news, I dipped ALL of my acros tonight in the bayer dip which took like 2 hours. Hopefully this means the end of the red bugs.

Yeah I could have them for actinic supplementation but I'd probably stick with MH for primary lighting. I'm considering MH + LED's for actinics too.

In other news, I dipped ALL of my acros tonight in the bayer dip which took like 2 hours. Hopefully this means the end of the red bugs.

speaking of red bugs. mr. saltwatertank had a really cool way of getting rid of them

teamschreiba
speaking of red bugs. mr. saltwatertank had a really cool way of getting rid of them

Yeah I would have done interceptor but it would have killed all my pods and acro crabs and I was worried that since I have so many of them in such a small tank it could cause a spike.

Yeah I would have done interceptor but it would have killed all my pods and acro crabs and I was worried that since I have so many of them in such a small tank it could cause a spike.

didnt think of that. good call.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey TS if you get a chance can I get a shot of your sump. Please and thanks :D

Yeah I'll try and get one up soon.

Nice..is that from battle corals?

Nope this was from an LFS. Here's some other new corals (excuse the dirty glass :P) :

7903265312_a966a67f83_c.jpg

Starting on the far left - Cali tort (battlecorals), shawn bennett yellow tort (battlecorals), red dragon acro (copps), hawkins echinata (local club member). The bright green patch in front of the red dragon is a cornbred 3g mummy eye chalice from joe knows reefs too.

Looks very nice. Are you still using the 24" mh? If so how high up and does it cause heat? I seem to remember you saying you were looking into lights at one point.

Looks very nice. Are you still using the 24" mh? If so how high up and does it cause heat? I seem to remember you saying you were looking into lights at one point.

Thanks! And yeah I'm still running the 24" giesemann fixture. It's ~12-14 inches above the surface and I don't have any heat problems with it. Also not looking into any new lights, only for the possible new tank ;)

What is your light cycle? I'm seriously considering MH....again. I keep telling myself to wait for the controllable Kessil. I'm impatient.

What is your light cycle? I'm seriously considering MH....again. I keep telling myself to wait for the controllable Kessil. I'm impatient.

Haha trust me, I'm right there with you on the impatience. My light cycle is below:

T5's: 2:15pm - 11:00pm

MH: 6pm - 10pm

If I do upgrade, my lights will definitely be 250W mh with 20k radiums supplemented by VHO's. It just seems like all the big SPS tanks have that combo and the coral colors are great.

I'm considering this:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Hamilton_Metal_...HTFDEMT-vi.html

Do you think it'll make my tank too hot? 24,24,12 @ 12" above surface. Probably have the same light cycle your currently using.

At 12" above the surface you should be okay. Do you have a controller though? Because I discovered I was having wild temperature swings before the controller and since I've set it up, my temps have been rock solid.

By controller do you mean something like a Neptune or RK? No. Right now I'm using an aquarium fan and a heater to keep the temp stable at 78.

So the controller would cut off the light if it got hot. Would it cut the light back on ad complete it's 4-6 hour cycle or just shut it off at the time scheduled? Or is it adjustable?

See this is what happened te last time I was thinking of getting MH. There's so much to consider that I'm lik 'eh my LEDs are brainless and require nothing so.....'

By controller do you mean something like a Neptune or RK? No. Right now I'm using an aquarium fan and a heater to keep the temp stable at 78.

So the controller would cut off the light if it got hot. Would it cut the light back on ad complete it's 4-6 hour cycle or just shut it off at the time scheduled? Or is it adjustable?

See this is what happened te last time I was thinking of getting MH. There's so much to consider that I'm lik 'eh my LEDs are brainless and require nothing so.....'

Yeah a neptune or RK. And yes it would cut the lights out if the temps got too hot. But more importantly is your heater is hooked up to the controller so it will control when the heater comes on and off. If I look at the logs, my heater doesn't run nearly as much when the halides are on but my tank still never runs hot enough to where I would need to think about getting a chiller. I hope this makes sense!

Yeah it does. I need a real sump before anything else. This fish tank sump was a good initial setup and very necessary at the time but it's getting so dam annoying with the carrying water levels and other plumbing issues that a real sump wouldn't have.

Thanks for the info. Gave a lot to think about.

Archived