Coral Vue Hydros

Schreiba's ADA 60-F

teamschreiba

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
teamschreiba
keep me updated i can get you more if something goes wrong :/

Thanks man! Were there any other SPS you were going to frag up soon?

yeah im sorry dude since school ended and rugby workouts started, along with getting a new tank and car ive been really busy :(

teamschreiba
yeah im sorry dude since school ended and rugby workouts started, along with getting a new tank and car ive been really busy :(

Yeah it's all good just let me know if you do get around to it. New car too?! Congrats!

its either keep the mini and get something i can take downtown and not have to worry about ding dents scratches pot holes #### like that and get a used forester or something, or get an srt jeep...i am seriously tiered of maryland roads beating up the cooper:/

teamschreiba
its either keep the mini and get something i can take downtown and not have to worry about ding dents scratches pot holes #### like that and get a used forester or something, or get an srt jeep...i am seriously tiered of maryland roads beating up the cooper:/

Yeah I hear you there. It's nice having the jeep now and not worrying about potholes and bad roads.

dude i hit a pot hole and blew a strut out >< im on my third front bumper not to mention an alignment every month hahah umm maybe its my fault ive got an inch and a half ground clearance. i really want to get an e30 and slam it into the ground.

teamschreiba
dude i hit a pot hole and blew a strut out >< im on my third front bumper not to mention an alignment every month hahah umm maybe its my fault ive got an inch and a half ground clearance. i really want to get an e30 and slam it into the ground.

Wow even still that's crazy you blew a strut. When I had my R32 I definitely bottomed it out a few times in some pot holes but never any major damage like that.

Wow even still that's crazy you blew a strut. When I had my R32 I definitely bottomed it out a few times in some pot holes but never any major damage like that.

my friends want me to get an r32 its be nice having awd :) i love my mini "money pit" cooper

Woah woah woah.. hold on!

NR has an app?!?

:blush: Sorry for being late on this one.

Schreiba nailed it. It is just a shortcut.

teamschreiba
my friends want me to get an r32 its be nice having awd :) i love my mini "money pit" cooper

Yeah the awd was really nice. I did love that car too but I was ready for a change and I love the jeep even more now especially with the soft top. I hear you on the money pit part too, it can be worse than reefing :P

:blush: Sorry for being late on this one.

Schreiba nailed it. It is just a shortcut.

Np! It would be pretty cool if there was a NR app though.

Np! It would be pretty cool if there was a NR app though.

I thought it was really cool that it came with the N-R logo picture, instead of just the website, like G.U. did.

An STI is money better spent on performan AWD over $30k. I love mine!

everyone and their mom has an sti over here in my crew of car guys

teamschreiba
everyone and their mom has an sti over here in my crew of car guys

Tough call...

I got my .:R used at the time so it wasn't $30k+ but everyone says they love their STI's. I also loved the .:R but I know a lot of people really want a manual.

Back to tank news, I picked up a few more paly's today that are starting to open up and look awesome. I also rented a PAR meter for a day but it's a little older apogee model that I don't think picks up the 420nm spectrum very well. With the readings it's giving, there's no way my SPS would be colorful or growing so I'm not very inclined to trust it.

teamschreiba

Well I guess I should have been dosing all along...

I tested today and found my alk to be around 6.5 and calc 420 which was after a 4 gallon water change on Monday night. I know this isn't too bad but I do find the alk to be a little low and it was right after a big water change. The problem is when I do water changes (the reef crystals tests to be alk 10-11 and calc 500) I'm basically giving my SPS a mini alk shock. I think in order to be more successful in the long term I need my parameters to be more stable especially since my SPS load is relatively high compared to the size of my tank.

I have a pH monitor on the way to hook up to the apex and I guess I need to just start dosing 2 part. Anyone else have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

teamschreiba

Well after only a few days of dosing I think I already have noticeable improvements. Some corals that had appeared to stop growing or be growing very slowly seemed to have picked up again. I'm using ESV B-ionic 2-part dosing ~4ml of each a day. I picked up a Salifert mag test yesterday as well which came out to 1425ppm which is good. I also grabbed a hanna alk checker which is awesome and even easier to use than the hanna phos checker! It came out to 6.7 dKh which is rather low and probably why some of my corals haven't been growing quickly. Hopefully with this dosing routine things will get even better :happy:

teamschreiba
I think I ran into the same thing. Any plans to get an auto doser?

Yeah I always thought water changes would be enough but I was definitely wrong about that. I was thinking about auto dosers too but I feel like it would be so little to dose it could be tricky. And I don't have any outlets left on my Apex so I would have to get another power strip for it. However, I can tell that manually dosing is going to get old very fast especially since the rest of my system is pretty automated.

Do you have any suggestions as far as auto dosers go?

teamschreiba

It's a miracle my SPS are still alive...

I tested my alk yesterday and it was around 6 dKh and I was in a rush and thought I messed up the test and didn't think much of it. So I went today and did the test with the hanna alk checker and got 5.1 :blink: Did it again 3 more times with two separate bottles of reagent and got pretty much the same thing. So I got out the API test and got ~5.5 dKh. I did not realize my corals were sucking down this much alk and I wonder how low it has gotten considering I've been dosing ~4mL of each 2-part solution everyday. So I went ahead today and dosed 7.5mL of each so hopefully I can start moving in the right direction instead of continuing to fall.

The pH probe should be here on Thursday which is good because I'm nervous about dosing much more than 7.5mL of each and its effect on pH. I also started researching some automatic dosers because I know once I get these parameters in check I'm going to want an easy solution and for the dosing to occur throughout the day and not all at once.

teamschreiba

Well my parameters are doing better. After doing a WC yesterday and upping the dosing to 10mL of each two part everyday my alk is up to 6.8 dKh and calc 460ppm. I also have a Bubble Magnus T01 automatic doser on the way!

I also know all this dosing talk isn't the most exciting so I'll try and get some new shots up soon :D

Pics are great, but I like web people post about this kind of stuff. Really the whole reason I got on NR to begin with.

Regarding the alk. Why do you think it's so low? There's gotta be a reason other than the corals are using it up, right? I have the same thing. It's lower now than it ever has been at around 6. Even if I dose it never really gets above 8. My Ph is stable now around 8 and I run the co2 scrubber three times a week overnight. At first I thought low Ph was the issue, but now I'm thinking it may be low Mg. I don't have a test for that. My calc is always around 440 and the corals are all growing well. I feel like the consumption rate of calc would be at least similar to the alk? Is that comletely off?

Anyway, please let us know if and when you fix the issue. I'd like to do the same.

teamschreiba
Pics are great, but I like web people post about this kind of stuff. Really the whole reason I got on NR to begin with.

Regarding the alk. Why do you think it's so low? There's gotta be a reason other than the corals are using it up, right? I have the same thing. It's lower now than it ever has been at around 6. Even if I dose it never really gets above 8. My Ph is stable now around 8 and I run the co2 scrubber three times a week overnight. At first I thought low Ph was the issue, but now I'm thinking it may be low Mg. I don't have a test for that. My calc is always around 440 and the corals are all growing well. I feel like the consumption rate of calc would be at least similar to the alk? Is that comletely off?

Anyway, please let us know if and when you fix the issue. I'd like to do the same.

Well I can't comment on the pH because my probe hasn't gotten in yet so I'm not quite sure where it is at. But I know my mag is high because I tested it to be 1425 a week ago and I think it's gotten a little higher because the tiny patch of bryopsis I had is dying off.

I've read a lot on this recently and although it's usually concerning tanks that are 100+ gallons I've tried to apply the knowledge to the nano the best I can. The most heavily stocked SPS tanks say that their alk can drop 1-2 dKh in the course of one day if they do not dose at all but the calc will not fall say 50ppm to go along with that. I think in heavily stocked tanks no matter what the size, the alk consumption will be really high. And when I think of all the different things consuming the alk and calc in my tank, it makes sense.

In your case, I would definitely test mag before anything else because if that is not high enough adding calc and alk will be very difficult. As long as your corals are still growing I wouldn't be overly concerned either. My birdsnest and a few other hardy corals were growing slowly but I have noticed a lot more growth since I've started dosing. Another surprising indicator is that my acans are looking healthier than ever after the dosing along with better color and PE on a lot of other corals.

Be sure to keep us updated with how your progress goes too! There's not a ton of information about dosing here on N-R simply because most people don't have to worry about it. Also as a disclaimer, I studied engineering in college not chemistry :lol:

Archived