Coral Vue Hydros

Schreiba's ADA 60-F

teamschreiba

teamschreiba
What did you switch to?

I got the 24" Giesemann Infiniti 150W MH + 4 T5 fixture from soymilk :happy: I'm only running the T5's right now and I have the fixture 12 inches off the water to try and acclimate my corals so I don't fry anything. I wasn't getting the coverage or growth in some of my SPS that I was expecting with the PAR bulbs so I wanted to give something else a try.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got the 24" Giesemann Infiniti 150W MH + 4 T5 fixture from soymilk :happy: I'm only running the T5's right now and I have the fixture 12 inches off the water to try and acclimate my corals so I don't fry anything. I wasn't getting the coverage or growth in some of my SPS that I was expecting with the PAR bulbs so I wanted to give something else a try.

Nice Switch ;)

WOW , huge improvement !

The tank looks much brighter now, i'm curious as to what your temp readings will be with that amount of light on such a small/shallow tank.

teamschreiba
WOW , huge improvement !

The tank looks much brighter now, i'm curious as to what your temp readings will be with that amount of light on such a small/shallow tank.

Thanks!! And yeah I like how all the corners are illuminated :happy: But right now the light is over a foot off the water and I have the halides on for like 2 hours a day so I doubt there will be much of an effect on the temperature for now.

teamschreiba
Looks great TS! Whats your bulb combo?

Thanks hype! It came with 2 Giesemann Aquablue+ and 2 Giesemann Actinic+ but they have a lot of life on them so I'll probably change them out relatively soon. Any suggestions?

teamschreiba
whats your MH bulb? Based on that i can give you a really good suggestion.

It's a brandless bulb but it'll have to be changed out soon too so I'm open for any suggestions :happy: The one thing I lost was the color and pop in the acans but is the only way to get that back a stunner strip or can I do it with a bulb combo? Thanks for all the help!!

It's a brandless bulb but it'll have to be changed out soon too so I'm open for any suggestions :happy: The one thing I lost was the color and pop in the acans but is the only way to get that back a stunner strip or can I do it with a bulb combo? Thanks for all the help!!

It depends what type of "pop" your looking for.. If you want just the fluorescence pigment in the acans to pop then a stunner strip or other blue leds supplements are probably the best for that. However if your looking for an overall bulb combo that gives great color to your coral and is aesthetically pleasing.

Try this:

Radium 20K

(4) ATI Blue plus

The radium bulb burn pretty white even though its 20K but the Blue plus bulbs even it out.

peacemaker

Wow... the new FTS looks awesome! Very very clean... I'm jealous. Why so many shallow tanks look so good but mine's like crap...? <_<

teamschreiba
It depends what type of "pop" your looking for.. If you want just the fluorescence pigment in the acans to pop then a stunner strip or other blue leds supplements are probably the best for that. However if your looking for an overall bulb combo that gives great color to your coral and is aesthetically pleasing.

Try this:

Radium 20K

(4) ATI Blue plus

The radium bulb burn pretty white even though its 20K but the Blue plus bulbs even it out.

Thanks for saving me a lot of trial and error! I'll try the bulb combo before I buy the stunner strip since I need new bulbs anyway. Is this what you run with your fixture?

teamschreiba
Wow... the new FTS looks awesome! Very very clean... I'm jealous. Why so many shallow tanks look so good but mine's like crap...? <_<

Thanks man! It's tough because the scape can be challenging and they can be difficult to photograph. Do you have a link to your tank thread?

Thanks for saving me a lot of trial and error! I'll try the bulb combo before I buy the stunner strip since I need new bulbs anyway. Is this what you run with your fixture?

No problem TS.

Not exactly..my bulb combo is a bit different because I run the tank as T5/led primary with halide as supplemental.

Lee Van Reef

I actually love the color you are getting with the current bulbs, but that radium20k combo with the blue+ sounds sick.

Any shots of the fixture over the tank?

your tank looks really good, I want basically the same thing, i guess in terms of looks for my tank. but its really difficult, i have temperature problems.

but i was just wondering what do you dose and what are you dosing schedules, i was wondering whether you dose cause i came across some that don't....

thanks in advance

teamschreiba
No problem TS.

Not exactly..my bulb combo is a bit different because I run the tank as T5/led primary with halide as supplemental.

Yeah makes sense. The tank is starting to color up some after the lighting switch and move so hopefully I'll have some good shots within the next few weeks. Thanks again!

I actually love the color you are getting with the current bulbs, but that radium20k combo with the blue+ sounds sick.

Any shots of the fixture over the tank?

Thanks! And yeah it's pretty good now but it should be even better with the new bulbs.

I don't have any now but I can take some soon ;)

your tank looks really good, I want basically the same thing, i guess in terms of looks for my tank. but its really difficult, i have temperature problems.

but i was just wondering what do you dose and what are you dosing schedules, i was wondering whether you dose cause i came across some that don't....

thanks in advance

Thanks! I'm hoping to avoid the temperature problems since I have the light so far off the tank. And I was going to start dosing but after my move I had a few larger water changes and I checked my calc yesterday and it was 400ppm so I'm probably going to hold off on the dosing until I see the levels stabilize again.

teamschreiba

And since this is a new page here's a new shot...

5747591073_46bbbb2197_z.jpg

It's a purple rimmed green monti that I got at my LFS for only $10 :D

teamschreiba

Just ordered the new bulbs and a few other goodies :happy: I also have a Hanna Phosphate checker on the way

Yeah makes sense. The tank is starting to color up some after the lighting switch and move so hopefully I'll have some good shots within the next few weeks. Thanks again!

Np bud.

teamschreiba

Well I got the Hanna phosphate checker today and followed the directions and it read 0.00. I did it a second time and I still got 0.00. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? It wasn't flashing it just read zeros at the end of the countdown. I always got a zero reading from my API test kit but I wanted something with more precision with all the SPS I have.

Well I got the Hanna phosphate checker today and followed the directions and it read 0.00. I did it a second time and I still got 0.00. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? It wasn't flashing it just read zeros at the end of the countdown. I always got a zero reading from my API test kit but I wanted something with more precision with all the SPS I have.

Yea thats normal although you should have gotten the Phosphorous checker it was designed specifically for saltwater and is more sensitive than the phospate checker.

teamschreiba
Yea thats normal although you should have gotten the Phosphorous checker it was designed specifically for saltwater and is more sensitive than the phospate checker.

Yeah I thought about it but I didn't think I needed that much sensitivity. I've had a few acros brown out on me and I thought the phosphate was the problem but it must have been the stress from the move. I'm not really sure what else it could be. Any ideas?

Yeah I thought about it but I didn't think I needed that much sensitivity. I've had a few acros brown out on me and I thought the phosphate was the problem but it must have been the stress from the move. I'm not really sure what else it could be. Any ideas?

Are you running a skimmer?Whats your nitrate levels? ?What media are you running in your canister?

teamschreiba
Are you running a skimmer?Whats your nitrate levels? ?What media are you running in your canister?

No, I'm not running a skimmer which could be the problem. My nitrates are zero and have been for awhile according to the API test kit. I have floss, chemi-pure elite, and purigen in the canister though.

Archived