Top Shelf Aquatics

Schreiba's ADA 60-F

teamschreiba

urkinduhdorky

Hey don't mean to sound totally noobish, but how many gallons is this ? I know it says 60-F sooo 60 gallons? or less? this thread has really inspired me to now want a shallow trimless set up it's just beautiful!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
teamschreiba
Hey don't mean to sound totally noobish, but how many gallons is this ? I know it says 60-F sooo 60 gallons? or less? this thread has really inspired me to now want a shallow trimless set up it's just beautiful!

Haha close :P ... actually it's 8.6 gallons. I wish I could have a 60 gallon shallow setup though there'd be so much space to work with. Thanks though and good luck with your setup! Make sure to setup a build thread when you get things going.

teamschreiba
Great video! You can hear that MP10 chuggin' along... sounds like a choo choo train haha

Thanks Mitch! Yeah the candy cane is pretty close to the MP10. And I recently switched over to the short pulse wave mode instead of reef crest to try and get more flow at the other end of the tank which makes the thing louder. If you listen closely you can also hear sportscenter in the background :P

teamschreiba

New ponape birdsnest...It's tough to capture the color of this one but it looks great in person and hopefully will grow as fast as my other birdsnest.

5689519208_39725920cf_z.jpg

teamschreiba

So I have a lot of updates....

I recently purchased an Orphek-PR25 with the UV LEDs because I wanted to try something new and I also may try to use 3 bulbs over this tank and somehow mount them directly above because I'm not getting the full coverage that I want. The acans and few zoas I have look even better under it and overall have seemed to respond really well. The SPS haven't shown any difference yet so I will report on that later.

Secondly, I tested yesterday and all the parameters were on point except my calcium has fallen to around 340ppm so I might need to start dosing due to all the SPS additions. Any opinions on this?

And finally, I'm moving my tank in a week because I'm graduating from Virginia Tech! I moved my old tank many times without issue but I was able to move that one without breaking it all down. I have a good handle on how to move this one but the only thing I'm debating is whether or not to keep the sand I have or put new sand in. It's about 4 months old now and I still have sand leftover from when I set this one up so it's not like I would have to buy it. Again, any opinions?

Thanks guys and since this was such a long update here's a new shot ;)

5689502728_98d8d87f18_z.jpg

reefo_suave

Beautiful tank! For the Hydor in-line heater, did you get the 1/2" or 5/8" version for the Eheim tubes? Thanks in advance!

So I have a lot of updates....

I recently purchased an Orphek-PR25 with the UV LEDs because I wanted to try something new and I also may try to use 3 bulbs over this tank and somehow mount them directly above because I'm not getting the full coverage that I want. The acans and few zoas I have look even better under it and overall have seemed to respond really well. The SPS haven't shown any difference yet so I will report on that later.

Secondly, I tested yesterday and all the parameters were on point except my calcium has fallen to around 340ppm so I might need to start dosing due to all the SPS additions. Any opinions on this?

And finally, I'm moving my tank in a week because I'm graduating from Virginia Tech! I moved my old tank many times without issue but I was able to move that one without breaking it all down. I have a good handle on how to move this one but the only thing I'm debating is whether or not to keep the sand I have or put new sand in. It's about 4 months old now and I still have sand leftover from when I set this one up so it's not like I would have to buy it. Again, any opinions?

Thanks guys and since this was such a long update here's a new shot ;)

5689502728_98d8d87f18_z.jpg

You can start doing more frequent water changes to keep your alk and calcium stable or you could start dosing. In any case the faster your sps grow the quicker they suck up the alk and calcium... Especially since you have such a small volume of water.

Congrats on graduating! I would strongly suggest not to replace your sandbed. It will cause your tank to go through another cycle(believe me i did it accidentally in the past) If you really want to replace the sandbed your going to have to cycle the new sand by itself first.

Nice Shot!

teamschreiba
Beautiful tank! For the Hydor in-line heater, did you get the 1/2" or 5/8" version for the Eheim tubes? Thanks in advance!

Thanks reefo and :welcome: to N-R! I'm using the 1/2" version for my specific canister filter.

teamschreiba
You can start doing more frequent water changes to keep your alk and calcium stable or you could start dosing. In any case the faster your sps grow the quicker they suck up the alk and calcium... Especially since you have such a small volume of water.

Congrats on graduating! I would strongly suggest not to replace your sandbed. It will cause your tank to go through another cycle(believe me i did it accidentally in the past) If you really want to replace the sandbed your going to have to cycle the new sand by itself first.

Nice Shot!

Thanks for the advice hype! But yeah I already do a 1.5-2 gallon water change a week so I'm not sure if I want to do 2 WC's per week. I'll start reading up on dosing most likely.

And that's what I was thinking regarding the sand bed. My plans were to leave the sandbed in the bottom of the tank with maybe a 1/2" of water over top for the trip. And then throw that water out when I'm setting the tank back up. Does this sound about right?

SpainKenya

Lol that video must be old....the white sox got a win???? what what. Anyways it was a cool view of the candy canes, colors look awsome, and vid quality was great even on full screen.

teamschreiba
Lol that video must be old....the white sox got a win???? what what. Anyways it was a cool view of the candy canes, colors look awsome, and vid quality was great even on full screen.

Surprisingly the video is not that old haha. But thanks!! The one of the reasons I got my new dslr is to do more videos like this so be expecting more in the future :happy:

And that's what I was thinking regarding the sand bed. My plans were to leave the sandbed in the bottom of the tank with maybe a 1/2" of water over top for the trip. And then throw that water out when I'm setting the tank back up. Does this sound about right?

Yep that's exactly what I did when I moved.

Drift Monkey

Sweet vid man, good luck on the move! I'll be moving to a new place as well in August...that should be fun. <_<

Still no ADA tanks in stock. -_-

teamschreiba
Sweet vid man, good luck on the move! I'll be moving to a new place as well in August...that should be fun. <_<

Still no ADA tanks in stock. -_-

Thanks Drift!! Good luck with your move as well. That must be painful waiting so long for that tank though I know when I got the itch for the new one I wanted it right away.

teamschreiba
greedy greedy cleaner shrimp… gotta love em

Haha yeah I know exactly what you mean. You gotta make sure he's completely full before you try and spot feed any corals.

teamschreiba
Nice video man! how do you like the T3i? I've got the T1i and it pretty badass.

It's great so far! I haven't got a chance to mess with all the features yet but so far its been awesome. I still need to learn a little more about how to shoot/edit videos but I'll get there.

Archived