Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Schreiba's ADA 60-F

teamschreiba

Drift Monkey
That's a start!

But yeah I know it really does. I'll have to clean it and the glass around it regularly so I'll try and take pictures when I do that ;)

Actually...I just found out AGD is based out of Houston! Might be able to pick one up sans shipping costs...B)

What would you say are the most important things to get a 60-F running? The tank itself of course, the lighting...and the canister?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
teamschreiba
Thanks for the reply man, I really appreciate it. Definately keep us updated with lots of pics!

Yeah anytime. And don't worry I definitely will! I love tracking the growth of all the corals even if I'm not really getting anything new.

teamschreiba
Actually...I just found out AGD is based out of Houston! Might be able to pick one up sans shipping costs...B)

What would you say are the most important things to get a 60-F running? The tank itself of course, the lighting...and the canister?

That would save you a lot of money if you could avoid the shipping costs :D

But I would say the most important things are heater, powerhead, and lighting. You don't necessarily need the canister to get the tank going but it definitely helps a lot with water clarity. You can plan on having to buy an ATO at some point too.

Drift Monkey
That would save you a lot of money if you could avoid the shipping costs :D

But I would say the most important things are heater, powerhead, and lighting. You don't necessarily need the canister to get the tank going but it definitely helps a lot with water clarity. You can plan on having to buy an ATO at some point too.

Yeah, unfortunately they won't have any in 'till April 20th...we'll see what I can scrape up before then. ;)

Really...? So the Vortech before the canister eh? I'll keep it in mind. There's basically no way to hide a heater except via an inline, so a canister/sump setup looks like the only way to keep that clean, bummer.

Yeah an ATO would be futher down the line. I'm really just trying to get a rough estimate of what it would cost me to get the essentials. :lol:

HecticDialectics
Yeah, unfortunately they won't have any in 'till April 20th...we'll see what I can scrape up before then. ;)

Really...? So the Vortech before the canister eh? I'll keep it in mind. There's basically no way to hide a heater except via an inline, so a canister/sump setup looks like the only way to keep that clean, bummer.

Yeah an ATO would be futher down the line. I'm really just trying to get a rough estimate of what it would cost me to get the essentials. :lol:

City Pets carries a few ADAs... on top of the shelf just to the right of the door when you enter. You might wanna call and ask if they have the 60-P in stock.

Schreiba - Your tank looks fantastic, btw!

Drift Monkey
City Pets carries a few ADAs... on top of the shelf just to the right of the door when you enter. You might wanna call and ask if they have the 60-P in stock.

Hmmm...yeah I forgot they carried ADAs. I'll probably visit Houston sometime soon, maybe I can give ol' Donnie a ring and see if he has a 60-F sittin' around he can hook me up with. :D

Thanks for that tip!

teamschreiba

I wasn't necessarily thinking the vortech but if you already have a powerhead I would say to go ahead and use that one. Same thing with the heater if you already have one. Are you pretty much starting from scratch as far as hardware goes or?

Thanks HD! I can't wait to see yours up and running too!

Drift Monkey
I wasn't necessarily thinking the vortech but if you already have a powerhead I would say to go ahead and use that one. Same thing with the heater if you already have one. Are you pretty much starting from scratch as far as hardware goes or?

Thanks HD! I can't wait to see yours up and running too!

Well, if I'm gonna build a 60F, I figure I may as well get unobtrusive stuff...minimalism is the key. I have some tiny powerheads, but they won't do enough damage to a 8.5. A couple Koralias might work, but I dunno...I've really been diggin' the MP10 ES...:blush:

I suppose I could salvage some stuff from my picotope...but I just have a whole different plan in my head for 60-F...an apparently expensive plan! :haha:

teamschreiba
Well, if I'm gonna build a 60F, I figure I may as well get unobtrusive stuff...minimalism is the key. I have some tiny powerheads, but they won't do enough damage to a 8.5. A couple Koralias might work, but I dunno...I've really been diggin' the MP10 ES...:blush:

I suppose I could salvage some stuff from my picotope...but I just have a whole different plan in my head for 60-F...an apparently expensive plan! :haha:

Yeah I definitely agree with the minimalism. I just thought maybe you could use some old stuff and slowly make upgrades. But if you want to buy all the toys at once I say go for it! The MP10 is definitely worth it though you won't regret it. And I agree it's definitely not a cheap tank but I personally love my setup :D

teamschreiba
I wouldn't say ALL the toys at once...hence a priority list of sorts. ;)

Haha that's pretty much what I did. I basically started with the PAR38's, the canister filter, and the MP10. Then added the inline heater, ATO, and then lily pipes over time.

NaClCrocodile

Hey I've been thinking about ways to integrate my RKL into a setup like this... So far the only way I think I could do it cleanly is to somehow tee off the drain or return into a dead end where the sensor is siliconed in place. Do you think this could work? Also, is there a place other than ADA to buy lily pipes? They're :bling:

teamschreiba
Hey I've been thinking about ways to integrate my RKL into a setup like this... So far the only way I think I could do it cleanly is to somehow tee off the drain or return into a dead end where the sensor is siliconed in place. Do you think this could work? Also, is there a place other than ADA to buy lily pipes? They're :bling:

I don't see why that wouldn't work but I haven't really attempted anything like that so I can't really say. As for the lily pipes I got mine from aquatic magic on ebay and they're a lot cheaper there than the ADA ones. Here's a link: lily pipes

You can go to their ebay store for different sized ones too.

NaClCrocodile

TIIIGHT! Alright I'm definitely going this route. I'm sure I'll be able to think of some way to rig it. Oh this is going to be so awesome! Now I just have to figure out how to hide our osmolators...

teamschreiba
TIIIGHT! Alright I'm definitely going this route. I'm sure I'll be able to think of some way to rig it. Oh this is going to be so awesome! Now I just have to figure out how to hide our osmolators...

Yeah those ones are much cheaper haha. Just be careful with them when you're setting them up I was told they're pretty fragile.

And yeah I bought some acrylic material that I was going to try and make a mount for the sensor but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Let me know if you think of anything else creative though!

teamschreiba
SExy tank bro. and +1 for Bburg and VA. Im from Nova. +1 on the VW w/ traction control off lol.

Thanks! I'm actually from Nova too just going to college in Blacksburg

Drift Monkey

Another question...how do you surface skim on this setup? It might not even be an issue for you...just wondering.

teamschreiba
Another question...how do you surface skim on this setup? It might not even be an issue for you...just wondering.

I have a lot of turbulence at the surface of the water from the MP10 and the canister so I don't really have a problem with it. I could easily see how if I had less surface agitation it could become a problem though.

teamschreiba

Well unfortunately I lost my emerald crab the other day for unknown reasons. This leaves me with one hermit, 3 astreas, and one nassarius snail that lives in the sand that I never see for the clean up crew :P I was just thinking whether or not I should just pick up another emerald or go for another type of crab/snails. Any thoughts?

crabs are always fun, i had multiple types of crabs (NOT hermit crabs, i hate them...) in my last tank with an abundance of different snails as well. Just go for whatever, you should be fine. Reefcleaners is always great... :happy:

teamschreiba
crabs are always fun, i had multiple types of crabs (NOT hermit crabs, i hate them...) in my last tank with an abundance of different snails as well. Just go for whatever, you should be fine. Reefcleaners is always great... :happy:

Yeah I was thinking reef cleaners. It was that or a divers den order with some inverts and enough corals to get free shipping haha. I'm trying to start fragging back a lot of the softies to hopefully make more room for SPS :happy:

screw hermit crabs! they keep climbing on my birdsnest >:o

teamschreiba
screw hermit crabs! they keep climbing on my birdsnest >:o

Haha yeah I know the feeling. The one I have likes to crawl all over my acros. My emerald was always good and never bothered any corals. I think I may be leaning towards a pom pom crab right now though

Archived