Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lani's Clownfish Breeding Thread

Lalani

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah i know what you mean on the size. mine have gotten bigger and are looking fatter now since i added the otohime.

new rule for you lailani, a few pics every week!!

LOL triple? More like 50x - I think we forget how small these guys are when they hatch.

Hehe, you're right! I think they double in size every other day. :lol:

yeah i know what you mean on the size. mine have gotten bigger and are looking fatter now since i added the otohime.

new rule for you lailani, a few pics every week!!

Nice! The otohime does make a big difference.

Ad ya, I'll take some new shots real soon. :)

Been working on the growout setup. One of the tanks has a leak in one of the corner seams so it's going to be out of commission. Have no idea how to go about fixing it, blarg. But the other three have tested fine and the system runs pretty well. If I can get a few things on my list finished today, I should be able to fully test the 3-tank system by Thursday, let it run for a couple of days, and if all goes well I'll start filtering RO/DI water to mix with salt. :)

can you remove the tank and cut the caulk out and recaulk it? i would just replace it for piece of mind.

I'm thinking about trying to reseal it, but need to do some reading first. If all else fails, I can always just stick another tank in it's place. Finally finished putting the dividers in the growout tank! Tomorrow I'll add water and test it out... will probably run with tap water for a couple of days and make sure there are no leaks before I start filtering RO/DI... that's going to take a long time.

But in the meantime......... PICS! Oh, and a couple of vids. :)

@Chris - Good timing! :D

The first batch is doing great, pics and vid below. As soon as the growout setup is going, I have some big enough to put in the holding tank and they will be ready to sell! Spot is a ham as usual, and probably the biggest one of the bunch. Quite a few of them are starting to show onyx coloration, much sooner than expected... I think it has a lot to do with environment. The tank is full of GHA now, but that's better than the green water we had to deal with.

The little guys (I'll call them B-Group) have been going through a bout of ich, but none of them look stressed in the least bit. I'm just keeping an eye on them and letting it take it's course.

th_MVI_6324.jpg

IMG_6314.jpg

IMG_6307.jpg

IMG_6313.jpg

IMG_6312.jpg

IMG_6311.jpg

IMG_6310.jpg

IMG_6309.jpg

IMG_6302.jpg

IMG_6287.jpg

A-Group

IMG_6203.jpg

IMG_6198.jpg

IMG_6192.jpg

IMG_6188.jpg

th_MVI_6322.jpg

Right now I'm probably feeding them 4 or 5 times a day with pulverized flake and freeze dried cyclopeeze. Also started feeding them a frozen mixture of seafood and algae, similar to Rod's food. They are little piggies!

Ugh, just woke up to a tank of death. Group B is dead, except for 2 that are barely hanging on. Brooklynella. I'm just going to mope around today. :( :( :(

Ugh, just woke up to a tank of death. Group B is dead, except for 2 that are barely hanging on. Brooklynella. I'm just going to mope around today. :( :( :(

ARGHHH... Sorry Lala :flower:

How old was that group?

Thanks guys. :(

This group hatched on Feb 24 and got their head stripes on March 10. Nearly 200 of them. So sad. But I'm kinda glad this happened before I put them and group A into the growout setup that is plumbed together. No telling how the older group would have fared, so this is kind of a good thing. Ah well, onyx pair should be laying a new clutch either tomorrow or Monday so I'll clean up the hatching tank real well and see if I feel like raising the next ones.

Builder Anthony

Man that sucks.I cant really say anything aobut breeding them but maybe divide them up a little so you dont lose them all.At least they lived a little some people dont try to even do anything.So at least you tried.

FishEyeAquaculture
awww man. so sorry to hear that. How did you get brook in the tank?

They don't like getting cold....and then warm.

awww man. so sorry to hear that. How did you get brook in the tank?

I dunno, really. This is the first time I've ever had to deal with sick fish. I'll have to do more research but from what I've read so far brook is pretty much non-existent in captive bred fish and you'll almost only see it from wild caught fish. These were offspring from the wild caught onyx percs, so maybe the brook was passed down from the parents, through the egg yolk? I really don't know how it works. :/

Didn't have any trouble with the first batch so maybe stress initiated it. I had planned on having them in the growout setup, with lots more room, before they started bickering too much, but that didn't happen. Starting to fill the growout setup with RO/DI today.

Man that sucks.I cant really say anything aobut breeding them but maybe divide them up a little so you dont lose them all.At least they lived a little some people dont try to even do anything.So at least you tried.

Thanks man. And ya, I had planned on transferring them to a bigger tank before they started stressing each other out, but that didn't happen in time. :(

They don't like getting cold....and then warm.

The brook or the fish?

The tank temp was rock steady at 84F.

That sucks Lala. Hopefully you can learn something from the experience, and like you said, at least it didn't get group A too.

Archived