Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lani's Clownfish Breeding Thread

Lalani

They are offspring of onyx percs, but at this age there is no guarantee that the babies themselves will be onyx. I have some that are already showing the trait though. And I'm going to test out shipping to a local reefer and see how that goes, then I'll think about shipping them farther. :)

Finally got around to moving the broodstock to their new tanks. I waited until the onyx pair had a clutch of eggs that were a few days old, in hopes that they would go right back to taking care of them and not mess up their cycle and it seems to have worked.

Also made the eggcrate/screen tops to keep the juvies from jumping (because they seem to enjoying doing just that...) They are split down the middle so that I can work on either side of the tank without having to take the entire screen off.

Few more pics of the set up now!

Pardon the diatoms...

IMG_6689.jpg

IMG_6691.jpg

IMG_6694.jpg

IMG_6696.jpg

IMG_6698.jpg

IMG_6699.jpg

IMG_6701.jpg

IMG_6704.jpg

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. That's a standard 10gal actually. It's sharing a Current Orbit 2x40w fixture running only 40w of daylight with the onyx's tank behind it.

FLNanoReefer

Sweet set up! Are the broodstock tanks currently plumbed into the growout tanks too? How much does a 40 gallon tub cost?

Sweet set up! Are the broodstock tanks currently plumbed into the growout tanks too? How much does a 40 gallon tub cost?

Thanks and no, they are running separately until I can plumb the broodstock tanks into a sump of their own. It's not a good idea to put broodstock and growout connected because of disease and whatnot. The 40gal tub at TSC was $30.

FLNanoReefer
Thanks and no, they are running separately until I can plumb the broodstock tanks into a sump of their own. It's not a good idea to put broodstock and growout connected because of disease and whatnot. The 40gal tub at TSC was $30.

Thanks. What do you feed your breeding pairs?

FLNanoReefer

Lalani,

Are you currently running a skimmer on your broodstock or hatching systems? If so, what are you using?

Thanks. What do you feed your breeding pairs?

The breeding pairs are fed flake foods, cyclopeeze, pellets, frozen food that I mixed very similar to Rod's, and live mosquito larvae from time to time.

Lalani,

Are you currently running a skimmer on your broodstock or hatching systems? If so, what are you using?

There is a skimmer in the growout's sump, but I haven't gotten around to getting it going yet.

FLNanoReefer
The breeding pairs are fed flake foods, cyclopeeze, pellets, frozen food that I mixed very similar to Rod's, and live mosquito larvae from time to time.

There is a skimmer in the growout's sump, but I haven't gotten around to getting it going yet.

Ok. Thanks. Are you know running a skimmer on the broodstock system? What size tanks are you using?

Very nice fish! I would love to know how you did the plubing but I understand if you dont feel like explaining.....I am very intrested in plubing and how it all works so yeah. Um are Onyx very slow growers? Cause yeah they are very small and still only 3.5 months old yet so cute :wub:

props!

Ok. Thanks. Are you know running a skimmer on the broodstock system? What size tanks are you using?

The broodstock 10gal tanks are each running on separate equipment, there is no sump or plumbing yet. ;)

Very nice fish! I would love to know how you did the plubing but I understand if you dont feel like explaining.....I am very intrested in plubing and how it all works so yeah. Um are Onyx very slow growers? Cause yeah they are very small and still only 3.5 months old yet so cute :wub:

props!

The plumbing is super simple, but I'll snap some pics of the entire thing. Percs are slower to develop than occ. but not super slow. They're over 1 inch now and working on their third stripes and onyx colors so they're actually doing really well as far as development!

The broodstock 10gal tanks are each running on separate equipment, there is no sump or plumbing yet. ;)

The plumbing is super simple, but I'll snap some pics of the entire thing. Percs are slower to develop than occ. but not super slow. They're over 1 inch now and working on their third stripes and onyx colors so they're actually doing really well as far as development!

Awsome! Thanks Lalani! Yeah I love clownfishes color! They are so purdy, the only reason I though the plumbing was hard is because all of the diff out puts and intakes, every thing is plumbed into the sump right? Is every pipe on a separate pump? That's what I jet puzzled on. Is the water pressure. I know it's probly so simple I'm gonna die when I hear the answer but I can seem to wrap my head around it....if I'm not asking you to much, would you mind explaining how that works too? I haven't found a lot of threads on plumbing and stuff

Thanks!

FLNanoReefer

Ok. Thanks for the help. I know I'm asking a lot of questions but bare with me. I am trying to learn as much as I can before I make the investment. What type of shelving unit did you use? If there is a link to it online could you post it please? :happy:

Awsome! Thanks Lalani! Yeah I love clownfishes color! They are so purdy, the only reason I though the plumbing was hard is because all of the diff out puts and intakes, every thing is plumbed into the sump right? Is every pipe on a separate pump? That's what I jet puzzled on. Is the water pressure. I know it's probly so simple I'm gonna die when I hear the answer but I can seem to wrap my head around it....if I'm not asking you to much, would you mind explaining how that works too? I haven't found a lot of threads on plumbing and stuff

Thanks!

Nope, there is only one pump! Here's how it works:

In each tank, you can see a pvc pipe sticking up from a bulkhead in the bottom. That's the drain! The top of the pvc drain ends just below the rim of the tank so that if the electricity shuts off and the pump stops pumping, only the surface water drains to the sump but no more than that. The sump would flood otherwise. I also have some nylon mesh wrapped around the top of the drain to prevent any fishies from falling down the drain.

Under the tank, there is a large pvc pipe with either a T or an elbow placed under each bulkhead and flexible tubing attached to the bottom part of the bulkhead to drain water into the pipe... since the pipe is at an angle, to help drain the water down to the sump.

There is a bulkhead in the side of the sump towards the bottom, attached to the panworld pump that returns water to a ball-valve nozzle for each tank. You can use faucets or spray bars instead of nozzles.

Ummmm, ya, that's pretty much the gist of it!

I'll snap some pics later and post them.

Ok. Thanks for the help. I know I'm asking a lot of questions but bare with me. I am trying to learn as much as I can before I make the investment. What type of shelving unit did you use? If there is a link to it online could you post it please? :happy:

No problemo!

It's a gorilla rack: http://www.gorillarack.com

Got ours from Sam's Club, but don't remember how much it cost at the time.

FLNanoReefer
That looks like the same dimensions as mine. Ours came with the wood shelves instead of the wire though.

Ok. Right now I am thinking about getting a stand like that and plumbing either 2 10 gallons or 2 20h tanks into a central sump as a broodstock set up. I would then expand form there as necessary. I would put my B&W pair in one of the tanks and then I would try to acquire a spawning pair of Ocellaris or Percula Clowns. Do you know how much either of those currently run for?

I also want to get Joyce Wilkerson's book to read. I'm not having any luck finding it online though. I guess I'll keep looking. Are there any other good books about clownfish breeding that you know of?

Thanks.

FLNanoReefer
How much for what, spawning pairs? For normal ocellaris, you can find a spawning pair usually under $150, percs slightly more. And I found two copies of Joyce's book at my LFS, so you might want to check the book sections of your LFSs! This is another book that people say is informative:

http://www.amazon.com/Conditioning-Spawnin...d=3FKKGIAX0V58P

Yes, for spawning pairs. I took a quick look at the book section at my LFS on Saturday and didn't see it. Next time I go I'll have to look closer. Do you think the basic idea for my system sounds good?

FLNanoReefer
Ya, it doesn't need to be anything complicated.

Do 10 gallons seem to work fine for the broodstock for you?

Ya, size-wise they are fine. The pair spends most of the time in and immediately around the pot, so they don't need a whole lot of room. I have to keep up with water changes though because they are so messy. I'll be glad when I finally can plumb them into a sump.

Got the growout skimmer going and let it break in last night. This morning it's already pulling a lot of junk out. Just need to fine-tune it. :happy:

what kind of skimmer you using? i am using an octopus skimmer rated for 250g on my broodstock system and the water volume is about 100g.

FLNanoReefer
Ya, size-wise they are fine. The pair spends most of the time in and immediately around the pot, so they don't need a whole lot of room. I have to keep up with water changes though because they are so messy. I'll be glad when I finally can plumb them into a sump.

Got the growout skimmer going and let it break in last night. This morning it's already pulling a lot of junk out. Just need to fine-tune it. :happy:

Ok. I was thinking about using 20h's but I think that 10's would work better because of the stand dimensions, etc. Do you think that a Mag 7 would be enough flow for 2 10 gallon tanks plumbed to a 40 gallon rubbermade sump? What pump are you going to use when you get the broodstock tanks plumbed into the purple sump?

what kind of skimmer you using? i am using an octopus skimmer rated for 250g on my broodstock system and the water volume is about 100g.

It's MR-1 and it's rated for 175gal. My system totals around 130gal right now. Here's a pic of what it pulled out overnight, before I adjusted it this morning:

IMG_6739.jpg

Ok. I was thinking about using 20h's but I think that 10's would work better because of the stand dimensions, etc. Do you think that a Mag 7 would be enough flow for 2 10 gallon tanks plumbed to a 40 gallon rubbermade sump? What pump are you going to use when you get the broodstock tanks plumbed into the purple sump?

Ya, a mag 7 would probably be good, but I'm no expert on that kind of stuff. :P

And I have no idea what pump I'll use... whichever one is the right price!

Pics for Mini-dud. :P

IMG_6740.jpg

IMG_6735.jpg

IMG_6734.jpg

IMG_6733.jpg

IMG_6732.jpg

IMG_6731.jpg

IMG_6730.jpg

I <3 zip ties.

Archived