SaltCritters.com

Lani's Clownfish Breeding Thread

Lalani

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fiesta_reef_time
If you leave the eggs in with the parents, mom and dad will eat them all before the sun comes up on hatching night. Their hunting instincts override parenting ones once the larvae have hatched

What if clownfish get fed really well? Will they still eat all of the eggs? Could I collect around 10-20 eggs and breed them in this: http://www.aquariumguys.com/netbreeder.html in my tank?

What if clownfish get fed really well? Will they still eat all of the eggs? Could I collect around 10-20 eggs and breed them in this: http://www.aquariumguys.com/netbreeder.html in my tank?

Yes, they will eat the hatched larvae no matter what.

And no, I highly doubt you can raise them in a breeder net:

-The larvae are tiny and would probably escape or get stuck in the netting

-Need dim lighting in the beginning

-The water needs to be tinted with algae so they can see the rotifers

-They need a relatively high concentration of rotifers in the water to feed on which would be impossible to do in a tank with any other inhabitants

-If you attempted to add the algae and rots to your reef/fowlr tank, there could be serious consequences like algae blooms and crashing.

-Clowns are messy little poopers and will quickly polute the water

Other reasons too but those are the main concerns. Setting up a hatching tank is sooo simple. All you need in a standard 10gal tank, an airpump/stone, heater, and thermometer. With a dim light overhead.

I read a post from some guy on 3reef who raises his fry in the tank with the brood stock - it was a really wierd system - he floated plastic fishbowls that had the sides replaced with some kind of fine mesh. He said he didn't tint the water but just added rots straight in the bowls. I dunno - said he's been doing it that way over a year.

Seemed really complicated to me. He didn't mention what his survial rates or clutch sizes looked like though.

I think I'm going to stick with what I know works.

Fiesta_reef_time
Other reasons too but those are the main concerns. Setting up a hatching tank is sooo simple. All you need in a standard 10gal tank, an airpump/stone, heater, and thermometer. With a dim light overhead.

If I took half/less than half of the eggs, could I use a 5G bucket instead?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

whats going on? talk to us

we are here

if pickle can get me to stay maybe we just need to talk this out. you have had great success

Archived