Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lani's Clownfish Breeding Thread

Lalani

FLNanoReefer

Ok. Thanks. Do you have ball valves only on the outlets to the tanks? What did you use to seal all of the PVC attachments?

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FLNanoReefer
Yes..... and PVC cement.

Thanks. :happy:

I'm out of questions for now, but I'm sure I'll have some more soon!

Nope, there is only one pump! Here's how it works:

In each tank, you can see a pvc pipe sticking up from a bulkhead in the bottom. That's the drain! The top of the pvc drain ends just below the rim of the tank so that if the electricity shuts off and the pump stops pumping, only the surface water drains to the sump but no more than that. The sump would flood otherwise. I also have some nylon mesh wrapped around the top of the drain to prevent any fishies from falling down the drain.

Under the tank, there is a large pvc pipe with either a T or an elbow placed under each bulkhead and flexible tubing attached to the bottom part of the bulkhead to drain water into the pipe... since the pipe is at an angle, to help drain the water down to the sump.

There is a bulkhead in the side of the sump towards the bottom, attached to the panworld pump that returns water to a ball-valve nozzle for each tank. You can use faucets or spray bars instead of nozzles.

Ummmm, ya, that's pretty much the gist of it!

I'll snap some pics later and post them.

awesome! seems prety simple now that I know how it works!

It's MR-1 and it's rated for 175gal. My system totals around 130gal right now. Here's a pic of what it pulled out overnight, before I adjusted it this morning:

IMG_6739.jpg

Ya, a mag 7 would probably be good, but I'm no expert on that kind of stuff. :P

And I have no idea what pump I'll use... whichever one is the right price!

Pics for Mini-dud. :P

IMG_6740.jpg

IMG_6735.jpg

IMG_6734.jpg

IMG_6733.jpg

IMG_6732.jpg

IMG_6731.jpg

IMG_6730.jpg

I <3 zip ties.

ok it makes since now, thx! Is that a MAG 5 or MAG 7?
irondragon013

Those pumps are actually pretty reasonable on price for what they are rated for. I'm seriously considering one for the future.

Lalani,

I have been following this thread since early on as I knew nothing of clown fish breeding. I have learned enough to say I won't be trying it soon lol. Maybe one day. Your grow out set up has come along very nicely. Nice work and add me to the list of possible buyers in the future.

yeah the big yellow one, sounds expencive

Depends on what you think is expensive. :P

It provides over 1100gph.

Those pumps are actually pretty reasonable on price for what they are rated for. I'm seriously considering one for the future.

Lalani,

I have been following this thread since early on as I knew nothing of clown fish breeding. I have learned enough to say I won't be trying it soon lol. Maybe one day. Your grow out set up has come along very nicely. Nice work and add me to the list of possible buyers in the future.

Thanks so much. :)

I swear I didn't sticky my own thread! Fixed that. :wacko:

Oh and shipped fish for the first time yesterday! Got pictures of the little guys in their new home today. They took to a RBTA immediately. :happy:

IMG_20110419_144311.jpg

So if anybody wants some fishies, lemme know! :D

FLNanoReefer
Oh and shipped fish for the first time yesterday! Got pictures of the little guys in their new home today. They took to a RBTA immediately. :happy:

IMG_20110419_144311.jpg

So if anybody wants some fishies, lemme know! :D

How much is shipping? Once I have my broodstock tanks going I would love a pair!

Depends on how far away you live. Overnight could be anywhere between $30-60. Luckily UPS ground is overnight within the state so that guy only paid $10. What's your zip code?

FLNanoReefer
Depends on how far away you live. Overnight could be anywhere between $30-60. Luckily UPS ground is overnight within the state so that guy only paid $10. What's your zip code?

PM sent with zip code.

FLNanoReefer

Shipping is very exspensive. For me it would cost $70. They look like some awesome fish though!

Lalani,

What size bulkheads did you use? What size is the PVC that the bulkheads drain into? What size PVC is the return piping?

For your broodstock stystem, are you going to drill the 10 gallons? Pickels is suggesting I use a 20L because 10 gallons are to thin and weak.

Thanks.

Ya, bummer!

Ummmm, I don't remember exactly what size bulkheads they are, 3/4" I think. The drain piping is 2" PVC and the return piping is 1".

I'm going to try to drill the 10gal tanks but if I run into any trouble I'll find whatever size tank will fit in the space I have available. Haven't put much thought into it yet.

FLNanoReefer
Ya, bummer!

Ummmm, I don't remember exactly what size bulkheads they are, 3/4" I think. The drain piping is 2" PVC and the return piping is 1".

I'm going to try to drill the 10gal tanks but if I run into any trouble I'll find whatever size tank will fit in the space I have available. Haven't put much thought into it yet.

Thanks. How large of the babies now?

How did you end up sealing the holes on the sump? Do you think that I could do 1 inch PVC for both the return and the drain?

How did you end up sealing the holes on the sump? Do you think that I could do 1 inch PVC for both the return and the drain?

DRAIN YOU WANT AT LEAST A 1 1/2 INCH DRAI, OTHER WISE YOU WONT be able to run alot of return water in the tank itself, which will be a problem!!!

Over 1in.

As Rudy just said, you want to use a larger pipe for the drain. If you use the same size pipe for the drain, you'll run into one of two problems: water will be coming into the tank faster than it can drain out and that will leave you with overflowing tanks or you will have to slow down the return flow.

And what holes in the sump?

FLNanoReefer
Over 1in.

As Rudy just said, you want to use a larger pipe for the drain. If you use the same size pipe for the drain, you'll run into one of two problems: water will be coming into the tank faster than it can drain out and that will leave you with overflowing tanks or you will have to slow down the return flow.

And what holes in the sump?

Ok. Thats what I though but I just wanted to check.

I thought that the TSC rubbermade sump had pin holes in it?

I dont know if you have fixed this or not but its a good idea to put a ball valve between the sump and your pump. If your pump ever stops or needs cleaning you dont have to drain your whole sump to remove the pump. I put a valve on each side of my external pumps.

Sorry to bring that up but pumps never stop working at a good time. It looks like you have room to plumb it in and just move your pump and return line over some.

FLNanoReefer
Oh, those. Silicone.

Were there a lot of the holes? Do you know how high the rubbermade container is approximately?

Archived