ReefCleaners.org

Lani's Clownfish Breeding Thread

Lalani

It's not like finding nemo. In the wild once they spawn they're free. Maybe a few survive that's why they lay 1000 eggs.

lmao

love the first pic....ok i meant the 2nd

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, so from the most recent batch, I have less than 200 left I'm guessing. Lost a lot last night, but these guys are looking strong and are hunting well.... even the one with a bent spine, go figure! I'm thinking the losses might be a case of 'weak fry'. I feed the parents at least 4 times a day, and a variety of foods, but not a ton. I'm going to start turning off all pumps and just feeding them until they can't eat anymore. See how that goes.

For now, I'm going to try to keep these 200 or so going, it's day 2!

Lani,

Do I have to harvest the rotifers and put them in the fry tank every day, or I do do 1 time, and

the rotifers will pretty much start their own culture in the fry tank if I tint the water green ?

thanks

Lani,

Do I have to harvest the rotifers and put them in the fry tank every day, or I do do 1 time, and

the rotifers will pretty much start their own culture in the fry tank if I tint the water green ?

thanks

You don't want to add too many because they can deplete the oxygen quickly. According to Wilkerson, you need enough rotifers in the first few days so that the larvae don't have to travel any more than 1 1/2 times their own body length to find a rotifer. You'll need to feed them a few times a day to keep the density at the right amount because if it drops too low, your larvae will tire themselves out trying to find more food. At the rate the larvae eat the rots, I don't think the rots would be able to reproduce quickly enough to sustain their population. HTH :)

I <3 the Stig.

approve.

I think you're going to have to step up the production here and gradually seize a market share for aquacultured fish.....

How much are you going to sell them for?

My LFS had some babies in a tank today when I was there. IDK if they were for sale, but they were really cute!!

approve.

I think you're going to have to step up the production here and gradually seize a market share for aquacultured fish.....

Ha, I don't plan on that happening. I'm going to be mighty busy when I go back to school. :P

How much are you going to sell them for?

My LFS had some babies in a tank today when I was there. IDK if they were for sale, but they were really cute!!

I'm thinking $30 each, I dunno for sure yet!

Video of the parents spawning... you can see just how pale the eggs are, definitely not the best. I've been feeding mom and dad like crazy.

th_MVI_5211.jpg

Awesome vid. Dibs on 2 clowns, save me good ones.

You betcha! ;)

Man... she lays some nice nests.

A ton of eggs, that's for sure and neatly packed together. This looks like her biggest clutch yet, probably approaching 1200 or more! Just gotta make them healthier.

So very cool! Your patience and nursing skills are amazing!

I can kind of see where the "separate them" ppl are coming from. But I too think separation wouldn't be good.

What happens if you simply left a batch of eggs with the parents instead of pulling them out? Could it possibly stop them from further spawning until the young are reared? Maybe there's some sort of instinct for them to keep spawning if they lose their eggs.

I can kind of see where the "separate them" ppl are coming from. But I too think separation wouldn't be good.

What happens if you simply left a batch of eggs with the parents instead of pulling them out? Could it possibly stop them from further spawning until the young are reared? Maybe there's some sort of instinct for them to keep spawning if they lose their eggs.

if you move them from their tank there breeding they can go days to months without breeding, but they will always still breed, they will have to acclimate to their new home.. ive sold alot of mating pairs and usually they spawn within the second week, but ive had some not breed for months,depends on the fish and the water quality you supply them!!!

If you leave the eggs in with the parents, mom and dad will eat them all before the sun comes up on hatching night. Their hunting instincts override parenting ones once the larvae have hatched! ;)

Fish ball!:

IMG_5256.jpg

And closer to getting the setup going (marco rocks cycling in purple tub on the left):

IMG_5260.jpg

Just need to buy the pvc and hook it all up for a test run. Going to take the measurements today!

If you leave the eggs in with the parents, mom and dad will eat them all before the sun comes up on hatching night. Their hunting instincts override parenting ones once the larvae have hatched! ;)

Brutal lol. Good to know.

IMG_5260.jpg

Just need to buy the pvc and hook it all up for a test run. Going to take the measurements today!

Nifty shelves, where did they come from? I was thinking 2x4s, then I decided to weld up some shelves out of some steel square tubing but at the price of steel right now it may be more economical (and time saving) to buy something. Also, I need a 40 breeder.....

I believe we got it from Sam's Club. And I have a 40br I got at Petco's $1/gal sale, mint condition.... want it for $50? :P

Your shelves look similar to the ones I have in my garage I got from Sams with a few small differences. Yours look slightly sturdier than the ones I have.

And yes....

Archived