Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lani's Clownfish Breeding Thread

Lalani

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You think they'll run out of genes if they keep breeding? :lol:

When you start breeding some type of fish, are you going to keep them segregated??

Thanks and no, not from Shreveport.

of course they're not going to run out of genes...as for the fish been segregated, well, it would prevent them from mating continuously especially since you're removing the eggs from their tank before they hatch. It's my experience with other animals that whenever they loose their young, fry, batch or whatever the case may be their natural response it's to mate again. I've bred mostly birds, bunnies and fw fish in the past and what they all have in common its that breeding takes a lot of energy which if overdone can lead to health issues.

I only meant to expose another side that you might have not considered, never intended to critique or bash your thread. So, with that been said well....

As I said before

GOOD LUCK!

I'm following....

Can you explain more about why you think this?

Lalani your helmet fish is sweet.

I think he is mainly worried about the amount of energy used in spawn, something that a healthy diet combats. He is thinking that basically that since the majority of the eggs are not being raised that energy could be preserved by stopping the spawn. While I see his point it is wordee oddly, and any attempt to separate the fish could have a negative effect on the pair. Therefore the pair is left together and any non live spawn they have will likely be eaten to help regain what is lost in the spawn.

Little late on the reply lol.

Ah, well that makes much more sense, Ty.

Pic of what will be the broodstock/growout set up. I bought the 40gal tub (sump) last night, so now all I need are the LR and the pvc plumbing.

IMG_5110.jpg

The sump will go directly onto the floor, the bottom shelf will hold the 40br divided into three for the broodstock and a 30gal growout tank. The second shelf will hold two of the 30gal growouts pushed together on the right side (with the Tek fixture over it) and there will be room to add a 20H tank on the left if need be. The top shelf will either be used as storage and hanging the tek fixture or removed completley if room is needed. I'm still not sure how I'm going to go about plumbing the 40gal with the three dividers... Hmmm.

WOW... look at you getting all serious and stuff! Looks good!

I agree about the seperation - parting the pair would be much more detrimental than any perceived benefit. It would cause undo stress and possibly challenges when re-introducing the pair. If the female doesn't kill her mate then who knows how long after re-introduction it would be before they would spawn again.

But it looks like you already knew it was a bad idea.

not sure what you guys are talking about seperation and stuff but let me tell you,when i was breeding this pair i tried one time to seperate the male and replace him with a super snowflake and she dang nearly killed the male, i also tried putting in one of my breeder snowcasso's and she made a hole in his tummy area, so yeah she loves her man. dont say i didn't warn you kim lol.....i like your plans for your setup as well kim, i will also send you pics of my new system as soon as it's done,should be mid feb so you can get some ideas!!!

I agree, separating a pair would be a bad decision. Hell, my non-mating pair of clowns got separated last week because the female made it into the overflow. The male was so lost without her. I've never seen a fish visibly excited, but I saw 2 last Saturday when I finally had time to fish the female out and reunite them. It was adorable.

Are those 30 breeders next to and above the 40B? They look almost square. For dividing the 40 use egg crate but attach plastic crochet (sp?) mesh to it with zip ties. Should keep the different sizes from getting in and out.

Daily update?

Ummm, the juvies are just chillin' at the moment. Half of them are forming a ball in the back top corner. The rest are staying up front and everybody is growing. More are starting on their middle stripes but haven't found any other anomalies. Some are also starting to show black edges on the pelvic fins. :o

Are those 30 breeders next to and above the 40B? They look almost square. For dividing the 40 use egg crate but attach plastic crochet (sp?) mesh to it with zip ties. Should keep the different sizes from getting in and out.

Hmmmm, not a bad idea, thanks! That way I could have a spray bar across the span of the tank and an overflow in the middle. The three 30 gallons are square, forgot the exact dimension.

Ummm, the juvies are just chillin' at the moment. Half of them are forming a ball in the back top corner. The rest are staying up front and everybody is growing. More are starting on their middle stripes but haven't found any other anomalies. Some are also starting to show black edges on the pelvic fins. :o

Hmmmm, not a bad idea, thanks! That way I could have a spray bar across the span of the tank and an overflow in the middle. The three 30 gallons are square, forgot the exact dimension.

i tried this and did not have much success. i actually got tired of cleaning the algea off the dividers so i ripped them down and the tank now has my breeding bangai in there. if you can try 3 seperate tanks with there own overflows if not then make sure each section has some good flow in it

Pardon my English if I misspelled something, I think they are wasting valuable energy spawning if the fry would not make it for whatever reason. As far as losing, well; time, effort and genes if you ask me. Nevertheless congrats on such a beautiful batch, I'm doing my research, a nice raise have giving me some extra time and $$$, I’ve been searching for a species to breed, not necessarily clowns thou.

Following...

Are you from Shreveport?

It's not like finding nemo. In the wild once they spawn they're free. Maybe a few survive that's why they lay 1000 eggs.

Lalani,

Be sure to keep us updated on the build of the breeding set up. What are you using now?

Sure! Going out there in a little while to figure out how much/what size pvc I'll need and all that good stuff. Right now I'm just working out of 10gal tanks.

i tried this and did not have much success. i actually got tired of cleaning the algea off the dividers so i ripped them down and the tank now has my breeding bangai in there. if you can try 3 seperate tanks with there own overflows if not then make sure each section has some good flow in it

Ya, I'm still undecided how I want to do it. I originally bought the 40br (petco $1/gal sale) to be the sump of the system, but it's just too nice for that, lol. Looking at my options!

So, we have some black appearing on the juvies already! On the pelvic fins and around the headband:

IMG_5170.jpg

Spot and at least one other fish are developing some white in front of the dorsal fins, hmmmmmm:

IMG_5169.jpg

IMG_5165.jpg

These guys are 1 month old.

Current batch of eggs looks ready to hatch so I'll probably pull the pot this evening.

Will you come take pics of mine when I get going?

Do you have an estimate of the survivors from the first group? Congratulations on the sucess so far.

Will you come take pics of mine when I get going?

Do you have an estimate of the survivors from the first group? Congratulations on the sucess so far.

Of course! Y'know I'm in the area from time to time. :P

I haven't lost any since before meta, so there should still be a little over 100. I'll try to take some pics to count them but it's difficult since half are in a ball and half are spread out all over the place and are all zippy like.

Archived