Pod Your Reef

Lani's Clownfish Breeding Thread

Lalani

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lani:

What is your feeding schedule on the little guys? How long do you go with rotifiers and when do you switch them to next food? It is nice that now you have two batches going. Wish you success!

Lani:

What is your feeding schedule on the little guys? How long do you go with rotifiers and when do you switch them to next food? It is nice that now you have two batches going. Wish you success!

Hi! I'll be feeding rotifers for a long time (simply because I have to harvest them everyday, so why not feed them!), but in a couple of days I'll introduce the otohime. Otohime and rots until they accept the pulverized flake, which will be during week 2 probably. Cyclopeeze and anything else at around 1 month. I don't really have a set schedule, I'm winging it, lol. :)

Bum face.

Neener neener neener!

I think I've lost almost half of them so far today. Blarg.. maybe not enough oxygen for so many of them and so many rots? Hmmm.... But I do see a few of the healthy ones are attempting the curl/lunge method, so I'll hopefully have a few in the end.

Also, found a third juvie with a face spot today. :)

You're having the most amazing success with this clownfish breeding endeavor! Congrats, Lani! I always stop by this thread to see the progress of the babies. Looking good! The pictures are stellar too.

Lani,

On which day do you remove the pot ?

Do you add in a new pot ? or an old pot ?

Will the clown notice any difference in pot or will they resume cleaning once they notice the pot with egg is

gone?

Can you also please take a pic of your hatching tank and setup ?

Do you put the air-tube in the pot or by the pot ?

thanks

Lani,

Will the clown notice any difference in pot or will they resume cleaning once they notice the pot with egg is

gone?

thanks

and what is your favorite flavor of icecream?

Hehe, thanks guys!

Lani,

gone?

thanks

I move the pot with eggs to the hatching tank exactly one week after they were laid.

I put a spare pot of the same size in the parent tank.

Who knows if the clowns notice it's a different pot? They'll notice the eggs are gone, but it doesn't seem to phase them, but all fish are different. Maybe another pair will freak out totally, I dunno. I only have experience with this one pair. ;)

There is a top-down pic of the hatching tank a few posts back and a FTS a few pages back.

When I put the pot with eggs in the hatching tank I set an airstone next to the eggs to keep them oxygenated, but move it once they hatch.

Read the book Clownfishes by Joyce D. Wilkerson. It will answer questions you haven't even thought of yet.

and what is your favorite flavor of icecream?

:lol:

Well, things didn't go so well with this batch. I'm down to 9 babies right now... The ONLY thing I did differently this time (beside using less flow from the start) was adding a piece of LR when I transferred the parent water to the tank. Maybe some type of bacteria hitched a ride on it and that's what killed the babies? I dunno, but next time I'll do without it. Which may be soon seeing as the mom fish is huge and it looks like she may lay tonight (so soon!). Also, hopefully I'll have my second pair by the end of the week.... fingers crossed.

Anyway, we'll see how these last remaining ones fair today.

Have you considered dividing the tank so the parents would stop mating, just while you rear the fry. I think your female can get exhausted of having too much fun :naughtydance: plus you're loosing trying to grow multiples batches at a time. just my $.02.

Very impressed with your babies btw.

GOOD LUCK!

Have you considered dividing the tank so the parents would stop mating, just while you rear the fry. I think your female can get exhausted of having too much fun :naughtydance: plus you're loosing trying to grow multiples batches at a time. just my $.02.

Very impressed with your babies btw.

GOOD LUCK!

Ummm, no, the fish cannot get exhausted from spawning..... Separating them would most likely be detrimental. How exactly am I 'loosing' (losing, maybe?)?

Pardon my English if I misspelled something, I think they are wasting valuable energy spawning if the fry would not make it for whatever reason. As far as losing, well; time, effort and genes if you ask me. Nevertheless congrats on such a beautiful batch, I'm doing my research, a nice raise have giving me some extra time and $$$, I’ve been searching for a species to breed, not necessarily clowns thou.

Following...

Are you from Shreveport?

Pardon my English if I misspelled something, I think they are wasting valuable energy spawning if the fry would not make it for whatever reason. As far as losing, well; time, effort and genes if you ask me. Nevertheless congrats on such a beautiful batch, I'm doing my research, a nice raise have giving me some extra time and $$$, I’ve been searching for a species to breed, not necessarily clowns thou.

Following...

Are you from Shreveport?

You think they'll run out of genes if they keep breeding? :lol:

When you start breeding some type of fish, are you going to keep them segregated??

Thanks and no, not from Shreveport.

She's a lot more backwoods than that....

Depends on what you mean by backwoods... those people up North are much more hickish than we are. :P

I think they are wasting valuable energy spawning if the fry would not make it for whatever reason. As far as losing, well; time, effort and genes if you ask me.

Can you explain more about why you think this?

Lalani your helmet fish is sweet.

Archived