Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lani's Clownfish Breeding Thread

Lalani

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How's this for a picture?

IMG_4663.jpg

I turned the lights off at 11:00, then checked the tank with a red flashlight at 11:50 and I saw the little buggers swimming around! Only around 1/4 to 1/2 hatched last night, and I think it's because the temp dropped slightly to 80F, but hopefully tonight the rest will hatch.

How's this for a picture?

IMG_4663.jpg

I turned the lights off at 11:00, then checked the tank with a red flashlight at 11:50 and I saw the little buggers swimming around! Only around 1/4 to 1/2 hatched last night, and I think it's because the temp dropped slightly to 80F, but hopefully tonight the rest will hatch.

How old are those at the time? When mine hatched they had tails like dolphins, big eyes, and they were transparent. They were smaller too. They looked nothing like the ones in your pictures. Did I catch the wrong thing and raise them for 10 days? (All of them had perished after day 10... :() :o

Yipeee... wonderful babies.. Congrats Lani...

Moar pix pretty pweeeeeeeeze :flower:

Euphyllia, it sounds like you caught baby mysis shrimp or something from your tank and tried to raise those.

Yipeee... wonderful babies.. Congrats Lani...

Moar pix pretty pweeeeeeeeze :flower:

Euphyllia, it sounds like you caught baby mysis shrimp or something from your tank and tried to raise those.

Oh damn.

2283585.gif

I wasted my freaking rotifers on those! :angry:

I'm really pissed off at myself. RAWR.

We demand updates! :P

Well, good and bad news.

Bad news: Most of the larvae have died. Water params are ok, and I'm about to do another water change/bottom siphoning after which I'll drip the new SW into the tank slowly.

Good news: There are still between 100 and 150 live ones and they are eating well. I've even noticed some tail curling and lunging!

I'm worried that there might be too much water movement and maybe the little guys are just exghausting themselves to death. I'm going to switch to a smaller airstone and if need be I'll go and buy a smaller air pump, though I'm using the smallest whisper pump right now.

Anyways, I'm not too bummed because I didn't expect to have any still living today, lol.

I'm excited to hear that you have that many! Great job Kim!

Easy cheap fix for the air flow is to just pick up some valves - you can dial it up or down to where you want it.

Thanks Mr. Pickles, but the smaller airstone seems to have done the trick! No deaths since the change in flow! :happydance:

If I end up setting up multiple hatching tanks I'll buy one of those brass gang valves to control them all.

It's day... 4? So we've got a few days until meta. :mellow:

Edit: Oh and, they're starting to eat the flake food!

Also, the female onyx is HUGE right now. She's bigger than she was for this first hatch... I can't imagine how many eggs she'll lay this time. :eek:

christosclowns

I recommend not doing any siphoning day 123 just dose with an ammonia remover, keep your salinity around 1.018-1.020 and just top off with fresh ro if needed to bring salinity down. Check your ph in your RO and make sure it measures up to your hatch tank if it dont buffer it.. Do your sip[honing on day 4. Your bubbles are to large get yourself smaller coarser bubbles from a stone. Turbulence is great you want it to turn water good you just dont want large bubbles. Add some live rock to the tank from the beginning next time it will help see ya

@Pickles: Yup! Changing out one gallon of water each day. There are only 5 gallons of water in the 10gal tank right now. I fed a bunch of flake today so I might do a second wc before I turn out the lights, just to be safe. Only one loss today! :unsure:

The onyx just laid a huge amount of eggs, more than last time.. probably around 1000. :eek:

The onyx just laid a huge amount of eggs, more than last time.. probably around 1000. :eek:

Wow. You're going to have to keep track of your survivors as a percentage :-)

Glad the last batch is doing better with the small airstone.

alex

Archived