Cultivated Reef

Jgpicos Pico

jgpico

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it looks fine imo. unfortunate about the derasa randomly dying like that :(

Yeah it was very unfortunate. I still haven't even figured out what went wrong. I think the tank looks good now but I miss the derasa.

My 0.9 gallon is cycling. I need to find a heater that is small enough for this tank that can get the heat up above 71 degrees. I will probably start a thread for this tank but I wanted to get everyone's initial thoughts on the scape.

IMAG0571.jpg

IMAG0570.jpg

That's a pretty sweet scape. Looks bigger than it is.

Aqueon makes a heater that is only 10w. I'm using it now on my 4g pico to take the edge off at night. I'm not sure if it's rated for SW. I think so, but a friend of mine had a disaster with an Aqueon heater, not the same kind, & now I'm paranoid.

Can't wait for the new thread.

L

I'll have to check out that heater because the one I'm using now isn't cutting it. I set this tank up because I need somethin.g to occupy my time since I don't do much with the 3 anymore besides sit in front of it for hours at a time and do water changes. I really hope I'm able to get some cool stuff for this tank and I hope I'm able to keep it healthy for a while.

I went through all the frag tanks at work and picked out all the tiny frags that are never going to sell and threw them in the 3 gal. Nothing too special, just some zoas, shrooms, and some daisy polyps I think. Here's a couple pics.

IMAG0582.jpg

IMAG0579.jpg

IMAG0576.jpg

IMAG0573.jpg

IMAG0581.jpg

Awwww, so wittle!

Yeah just some tiny guys. It's cool cause my boss doesn't even care if I take them. Like I said we would never sell them anyways.

You would if a fellow pico reefer like me walked in! I always scour the tanks for such pieces ... so many LFSs around here sell huge pieces only.

They look great, love the daisies.

You would if a fellow pico reefer like me walked in! I always scour the tanks for such pieces ... so many LFSs around here sell huge pieces only.

They look great, love the daisies.

These size frags are perfect for our tanks. I am always going through all the frags to find them. If they do get sold they are only 6 dollars so its not a bad deal. I need to find some good spots on the rocks for them so I can get them off the sand..

I just pulled about 60 pyramid snails off of my maxima. I have been pulling these little bastards off of the clam almost every other night. It seems like everytime I think I got them all they come back in full force. Hopefully my maxima makes it.

has it been looking worse? and are you sure they are pyramid snails and not just simple, harmless collonista snails? pyramid snails have that pyramid shaped operculum that is very identifiable. can you post up a pic of some of the snails you pulled out?

I already got rid of all the snails I pulled out. I'm sure ill catch a couple in the next day or two. I'll post a pic as soon as I get one.

Here is an updated shot of the maxima. It seems to be doing really well. Hopefully I have gotten most of the pyramid snails. I'll post pics of the snails I'm pulling out later if I see any. I'm pretty positive they are pyramid snails, they all hang out on the clams shell and never anywhere else.

IMAG0599.jpg

Random picture time. Its been a while since I have posted random pics so here ya go.

IMAG0595.jpg

IMAG0612.jpg

IMAG0613.jpg

captain america

IMAG0614.jpg

IMAG0616.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I was looking thgough all of the pictures I have on my photbucket account and came across this. This really made me miss these guys, they had to be the coolest relationship I have ever seen in a fish tank. I will definitely be having a shrimp goby pair in my 120 gallon once its set up. I might even put one in my 14 gal biocube.

2011-03-27220042-1.jpg

Great tank man...must be proud of that one year mark!

i'm thinking of adding a goby/shrimp pair like you used to have, but I don't want to deal with making/getting a lid haha

one question, do you dose anything? sorry if it was covered earlier... didnt really feel like reading 58 pages :P

Great tank man...must be proud of that one year mark!

i'm thinking of adding a goby/shrimp pair like you used to have, but I don't want to deal with making/getting a lid haha

one question, do you dose anything? sorry if it was covered earlier... didnt really feel like reading 58 pages :P

Having a lid is a bummer but I got lucky with mine. I have never had a fish jump out of this tank. The only warning I will give you about the goby/pistol pair is any frags on the sand will either be buried or used to build the lair lol. If you can deal with frags being buried and sand storms every now and then you will absolutely love the goby /shrimp pair. Nothing even comes close to being as cool to watch imo.

As far as dosing I started dosing nano code a and b about 2 months ago. I was doing a drip of each every other day but since my larger clam died I havent had to dose that often lately.

i like that blasto, would you be interested in selling it to me lol. i am looking for that species. not a huge fan of my welsi colony.

let me know what those snails look like. pyramid look very different from collonista, but maybe they are the same size and shape. then again they might be some other snails that we haven't seen before so that's why i'm curious.

i like that blasto, would you be interested in selling it to me lol. i am looking for that species. not a huge fan of my welsi colony.

let me know what those snails look like. pyramid look very different from collonista, but maybe they are the same size and shape. then again they might be some other snails that we haven't seen before so that's why i'm curious.

That blasto colony was one of my first corals in this tank. I have grown way too fond of it to sell it. If it continues to sprout heads I will gladly frag you a couple polyps. I was actually planning on starting to spot feed them again since they went from 7 heads to 20 in about 2 months when I was feeding them pieces of mysis. I love your welsi blastos I'll buy them from you lol.

I will look today when I get home from work to see if there are any of the mystery snails on the clam or anywhere else in the tank. I haven't seen any in the past couple of days which is a good thing. If I find any I will post a pic immediately.

I was looking thgough all of the pictures I have on my photbucket account and came across this. This really made me miss these guys, they had to be the coolest relationship I have ever seen in a fish tank. I will definitely be having a shrimp goby pair in my 120 gallon once its set up. I might even put one in my 14 gal biocube.

2011-03-27220042-1.jpg

I've got a yellow watchman/shrimp pair in my 8g and I love them. I never get tired watching them together.

It's a good shot... Here're mine together...

DSC06435.jpg

You should definitely get one. :)

That is a very tiny snail. I have no clue what it is.

Archived