inTank Media Baskets

Squared's 29g reef

Squared

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think my other peppermint died. I don't get it, I thought they were supposed to be hardy? :angry: How long do they live? What is killing my shrimp! and my water tested fine...can somebody maybe help my figure out why they die?

I'm glad my pistol is doing well...at least.

edit: did some looking around on forums, seems like these cleaner shrimp just die for no reason. i'll just stick with my pistol...but really I want that coral banded shrimp.

Like what do you mean? My pistol seems to be a little unactive today, he goes in his cave then comes out a little to what's going on. Anything you recomend me testing my water for, something that could kill a shrimp?

The blenny is rather passive, lets the clownfish and cardinal swim very close to him, with only a slight push every now and then.

Copper!

And stay away from the CBS. Mine ate my pistol the night I put it in. I'm still trying to rid my tank of him. He's going to the sump asap. Already took his two claws off for the meantime trying to catch it.

My LFS dosn't test for iodine, and I can't afford an iodine test kit. So I can't do that...but I'll see if my LFS can test for copper. Will copper harm hermit crabs/snails?

Then I'm not sure it's copper...it seems like peppermint just drop like flies, so that's just them. I'm my pistol is fine, I'm just a little paranoid after loosing all these shrimp. What brand of iodine would you recomend?

mygsris2slo4u

Hey squared, the tank photos look great. I have a question about your AC surface skimmer. Do you like it and would you recommend using it? I can't find the attachment at any of my local stores and wanted some opinions before ordering it. Thanks.

The surface skimmer works great, just keep it low in the water.

it can get noisy, and get bubbles in the filter. you'll just have to toy with it a little.

I read around the forums-iodine dosing is not recomended and does change signifigantly or at all the health of organisms in reef aquariums. So I guess I will not dose iodine.

I got a little more money today...so anyone want to recomend me a shrimp species? I don't what a cleaner shrimp, or anything smaller than 1". Also it has to do fine singly. It won't matter if the species is "rare", I can ask my LFS to order me one, and I'll just have to be patient. Actually, it dosn't have to be a shrimp, but I would prefer it. And it can't be over $25.

or a fish, preferebly a pod eater.

Figure I'll order now, because all my LFS ever has are cleaner shrimps. It takes about a month or so to get what I ordered.

Are there any other heavy metals that can be tested for? But I honestly don't think it's that; my pistol would be gone as well as my CUC.

Hello peeps.

I think I have firmly decided on getting a Blue CBS and another Harlequin Shimp. Also, once I have more SPS, I will add a Commensal Acropora Crab.

For now I think I can only afford only 1invert from the above mentioned.

also, since i don't have a protien skimmer, what do you think of these hardy SPS i want to keep?

birdsnest

pocillipora

green slimer acro

montipora capricornis, spongodes, setoso, undata, basically any monti.

sound good?

and for a fish...i want a mandarin. that's one of the main reasons i have a fuge in the first place.

if a mushroom or soft coral becomes detached form it's rock, place it in a cup full of rock rubble. My ric re-attached itself to a rock in less than 2 days. My toadstool started growing one the rock after about a week. i tried the rubberband, but i couldn't get it loose enough. just thought i'd share...

I like your tank dude! I'm a big fan of midas blennys. Sorry to read about your harlequins. I have a 29 with one myself. They are a lot of fun to watch hunt

thanks...but I think my tank is mildly likeable -_- . But it's getting their, very slowly...want to buy a couple of montis and acans this weekend. hopefully people will bring in some neat stuff at the swap fingerscrossed .

Archived