SaltCritters.com

Squared's 29g reef

Squared

Google Chrome cannot find nano-reef.com

omgomgomg Idk how long I couldn't access it, but I was dying lol

Me too. I tried to access the page numerous times then when it did, the home page looked all poorly done and stuff. Then it went back to normal.

yeah i have a 24" aquaticlife fixture with those features lying around that was on my old 20 and liked it a lot. so the ones you can link dont have timer or moon lights?

Unfortuanelty, they don't.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My pistol didn't come out today :o . I pretty sure he is molting but I can't help but wonder if something in the water killed my shrimp, since they both died?

so...what could kill a shirmp? i didn't test phosphate, because i would assume if it was high my birdsnest would be browned out...

fine...i guess. I just looked at your thread and realized you had a yellow boxer shrimp. i'm thinking of getting a pair of the blue ones for my tank. any tips on the these boxers? has ever tried to attack you peppermint shrimp?

it is pretty wierd the way the died so close together...makes me wonder if something in the water killed them...

I attacked my pepermints lol. He's ok. If I have a sick fish they're dead. Luckily I don't have sick fish. He'll go for em but with weak intent. Never got one yet and my Dracula hangs rite by em. I'd go with the purple "Zanzibar" boxer. It's the smallest of that type of shrimp. My peps were robbing and harassing my corals. I'm glad they're gone. He's more reef safe than they are.

Oh the only tip I have is keep em well fed. I've had no problems for the past year.

thanks. I was reading that most people got them when they were about 1" and they never grew much...so i am worried they are too much of an easy target for the pistol. how big is your yellow boxer?

I'll consider. I think the blues are too small anyway. But maybe not a pair, too hard to get to pair and prabaly will be too expenive to buy one.

I would like to run an invert-stocking list by you guys:

1 tiger pistol shrimp

1 yellow coral banded shrimp

1 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp

1 commensal acro crab

1 crinoid squat lobster

1 linkia sea star

3 feather dusters

...what do you think? I realized with the absence of my harlequins, I could keep a sea star as a member of the tank, not as food. I actually find them quite amazing.

I see no problem with you list. I have pompoms and bumble bee's as well. No problems with my CB. Not to say that there can't be. I could have a calmer one. When he gos for a fish. I think it's more to get them away. I don't think he's trying to hunt be well fed and all. I do think he's killed a snail or two here and there.

My tank is a lot smaller than yours, jeffro, so a blue one may be a better choice after all. As for the acans, they are pretty hardy and grow fast if well cared for. It is very important they eat at least once a week. I am usually broke all the time so that's why my tank is a little thined out with coral stocking. Plan to start buying more during frag swaps; people bring in some pretty neat stuff for a good price. Got the frogspawn and orange crush acan at a swap.

Here are some pics, for your enjoyment:

100_4096_00.JPG

100_4097_00.JPG100_4098_00.JPG

100_4099_00.JPG

100_4100_00.JPG

100_4101_00.JPG

100_4102_00.JPG

100_4103_00.JPG

Cool basslet.

Basslet? I think what you mean is cardinalfish.

That goby is awesome! Sweet pic too :)

That pic came out really good for some reason. My camera only works well with macro if the creature is very close to the glass. That's why the pic in my sig came out so nice (compared to other pics I took).

Thanks!

1 tiger pistol shrimp

1 yellow coral banded shrimp

1 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp

1 commensal acro crab

1 crinoid squat lobster

1 linkia sea star

3 feather dusters

And what do you think of this invert list? Might swap the yellow banded for a blue, though. The blues, from what I have read, are real small.

animalmaster6

Don't do the Linkia. They need a pretty large tank for success IMO.

Also I still am a bit concerned about the coral banded shrimp. They can be really mean at times. Keep him well fed.

Other than those it looks great.

Thanks.

any recomendations for a sea star, then, anyone?

Edit: reaserched the reef-safe sea stars, seem to hard to feed. and serpents get to big. so...no seastar.

This invert list seems pretty good:

Ornamental inverts:

1 tiger pistol shrimp

1 blue banded coral shrimp

1 harlequin shrimp

1 acro crab

CUC:

1 trochus snail

1 nerite snail

2 astrea snails

3 nassaurius vibex snails

3 fuzzy chitons

3 micro hermit crabs

I think I will stick to this one.

Right now all I can afford are CUC members. I asked my LFS to get me some chitons (don't know if they will be fuzzy).

I will try to stock my tank with said species over the next couple of months.

And with no star in my fuge, I'll just keep cheato and no algea in my display.

Also I want to get a lubbock's wrasse eventually.

Archived