Pod Your Reef

Hypes Archipelago

Rehype

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sent you a PM.

Also, I am happy that you're a HOT5 advocate ;)

I loved my T5 set up; I WAS a MH advocate until T5 came into the picture and BLEW MY MIND lol.

Sent you a PM.

Also, I am happy that you're a HOT5 advocate ;)

I loved my T5 set up; I WAS a MH advocate until T5 came into the picture and BLEW MY MIND lol.

Responded :ninja:

I would switch between T5's and halides because i sometimes missed the shimmer of halides but at this point i couldnt be happier with coloration and growth from T5's

T5's FTW

TheKleinReef
You're right, my apologies.

You've clearly seen everything there is to see here at NR.

if by 'xp" you mean experience, it is not limited to the last 6 months.

you never specified, if you're going to troll, at least be good at it.

Beautiful tank Hype! the colors are amazing.

Thanks alot wai ho its much appreciated.

if by 'xp" you mean experience, it is not limited to the last 6 months.

you never specified, if you're going to troll, at least be good at it.

cmon guys take it to the lounge.

Booya Eugene. What is the hype (pardon the pun) with full spectrum lighting? Have you tried it, opinion either way?

Sup kat. Well basically full spectrum lighting is mans attempt to replicate natural sunlight. Basically the goal is to use all the wavelengths that are useful to plants and animals. Most reef setups use a combo of bulbs to achieve this. Ive used full spectrum lighting in pretty much all of my setups and it definitely makes a difference in coral coloration in some species as well as growth.

Sup kat. Well basically full spectrum lighting is mans attempt to replicate natural sunlight. Basically the goal is to use all the wavelengths that are useful to plant and animal light. Most reef setups use a combo of bulbs to achieve this. Ive used full spectrum lighting in pretty much all of my setups and it definitely makes a difference in coral coloration in some species as well as growth.

I completely agree with Hype on this subject.

I have always done my best to provide full spectrum lighting to my reef tanks, and always came out with great results. Even when I ran halides, I ran two 250w 20,000K along with a 10,000K sandwitched in the middle, accompanied by fluorescent actinics. That 10K lamp made a big difference with growth and coloration. When I did HOT5 I had a 6 bulb fixture with 4 different colors of bulbs to give an array of color spectrum to enhance both growth and coloration.

The hobby in general has always seemed to push towards the blue end of the spectrum, and has many bulbs geared towards blue'n the crap out of your aquarium, but along with all that blue, red, white, green light can make a big difference to the overall look and behavior of your corals.

Hype,

Can you take some wicked awesome top down shots for me? I think I see a nice montipora back there, an orange/red sp. that is a little harder to come by, one that I have had a huge appreciation for, for years now. Can you also take a photo of that if it is what I think it is ;)

Thanks!

I also agree with full spectrum. Blue in reefs bring out the fluorescence which a lot of people like, but I actually want to see all of the tanks colors. I'm not a big fan of a smurf village.

I also agree with full spectrum. Blue in reefs bring out the fluorescence which a lot of people like, but I actually want to see all of the tanks colors. I'm not a big fan of a smurf village.

I completely agree with Hype on this subject.

I have always done my best to provide full spectrum lighting to my reef tanks, and always came out with great results. Even when I ran halides, I ran two 250w 20,000K along with a 10,000K sandwitched in the middle, accompanied by fluorescent actinics. That 10K lamp made a big difference with growth and coloration. When I did HOT5 I had a 6 bulb fixture with 4 different colors of bulbs to give an array of color spectrum to enhance both growth and coloration.

The hobby in general has always seemed to push towards the blue end of the spectrum, and has many bulbs geared towards blue'n the crap out of your aquarium, but along with all that blue, red, white, green light can make a big difference to the overall look and behavior of your corals.

Hype,

Can you take some wicked awesome top down shots for me? I think I see a nice montipora back there, an orange/red sp. that is a little harder to come by, one that I have had a huge appreciation for, for years now. Can you also take a photo of that if it is what I think it is ;)

Thanks!

Totally agree TJ. Most reefers like to keep their tanks at the blue end of the spectrum because they enjoy the way many corals fluoresce under actinic lighting. While corals do need blue light they need other wavelengths as well. Since most of us have mixed reefs we have coral that are found at various depths within the ocean. Corals found in deeper water mainly use light from the blue and ultraviolet part of the spectrum while coral found in shallower water can use some blue, green, yellow, orange, and red. By maintaining a full spectrum lighting system you ensure that your corals are getting a little bit of everything, that way they can absorb the light they need and filter out the light they dont....kind of a like a buffet for coral. This tends to ensure the best overall coloration and growth of all inhabitants...at least in my experience.

Hey TJ ill try to take some this weekend. Its notoriously difficult to take top downs because of the reflection from the T5's but i believe i have a pretty good technique which enabled me to get the SPS shots.

What exactly do you think it is?send me a pm :unsure::ninja:

So nice you had to say it twice :lol:

teamschreiba

You're lucky you can still take top down shots. With my fixture it is nearly impossible now to get nice clear ones, which makes me sad because it's one of my favorite types of shots :(

You're lucky you can still take top down shots. With my fixture it is nearly impossible now to get nice clear ones, which makes me sad because it's one of my favorite types of shots :(

Im going to try to take some more this weekend and if the technique works as well as it did last time ill let you know the secret :ninja::D

teamschreiba
Im going to try to take some more this weekend and if the technique works as well as it did last time ill let you know the secret :ninja::D

Alright, thanks hype!!

Anyone else not able to access the pico aquariums site? I get a server error every time. I wanted to check them out. :(

Get the best lighting you can for healthy corals, then worry about how they look.

I know right..some people put the cart in front of the horse.

Anyone else not able to access the pico aquariums site? I get a server error every time. I wanted to check them out. :(

I was able to access it just fine.

PM'd you :ninja:

The best is when people get the most ridiculous lighting possible, and expect the corals to do awesome, and look awesome, and glow like crazy, and be masterpieces, and THEY DON'T EVEN DOSE OR HAVE TEST KITS?!

Jebus... lol

Alright, thanks hype!!

Np bud.

PM'd you :ninja:

The best is when people get the most ridiculous lighting possible, and expect the corals to do awesome, and look awesome, and glow like crazy, and be masterpieces, and THEY DON'T EVEN DOSE OR HAVE TEST KITS?!

Jebus... lol

;)

Very true....they forget there is a bit of science in this hobby.

d'Espresso

I totally agree with hype!

It's like chemistry! You got to get the mix of element to get that right formula or full spectrum.

It's like chemistry! You got to get the mix of element to get that right formula for full spectrum.

Its takes a bit of trial and error to get a mix that includes all the necessary wavelengths and still looks good to the human eye.IME

cmon guys take it to the lounge.

He made a comment on your thread, directed at everyone.

I responded.

He responded.

I apologized.

He's still butt hurt.

Enjoy your free bumps.

:)

I managed to get a shot of the chalice feeding when the lights are out. It took forever for the tentacles to come out but i was really surprised at how far they extend i actually had to move it from surrounding coral.

feedingchalice.jpg

Archived