Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hypes Archipelago

Rehype

I like it! how effective is it? say compared to two fishies phosban reactor?

I only used it for carbon but it was very effective.. just as efficient as a TLF reactor.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sad.gif

Whaaaaaaaat?

what?!

First let me just say theres nothing wrong with Daves LEDS. I think they are a great product probably the best leds on the market especially since they are custom made to order. The only drawback i saw on my particular model is the spread isnt ideal for a 24" wide tank. the PAR dropoff is considerable past 20". So i wanted to try out dimmable T5's to see if i prefer the spread and light distribution. If i dont like them in the long run ill just have Dave build me a 24" fixture.

I only used it for carbon but it was very effective.. just as efficient as a TLF reactor.

So the size maxes out at 11inches tall but what are those 2 black do hickees and do they need to be submerged?

Thinking if it will fit in area #4, it is deep enough:

130d_filtration_big.jpg

So the size maxes out at 11inches tall but what are those 2 black do hickees and do they need to be submerged?

Thinking if it will fit in area #4, it is deep enough:

Thats where the water comes out and they dont have to be submerged.

I think area 4 is deep enough but im not sure if its wide enough...

First let me just say theres nothing wrong with Daves LEDS. I think they are a great product probably the best leds on the market especially since they are custom made to order. The only drawback i saw on my particular model is the spread isnt ideal for a 24" wide tank. the PAR dropoff is considerable past 20". So i wanted to try out dimmable T5's to see if i prefer the spread and light distribution. If i dont like them in the long run ill just have Dave build me a 24" fixture.

I could see 24" inches wide being a bit of a stretch for two rows of LEDs centered over the tank. I'm sad to see the light go though. I bet two of that fixture would have been positively awesome (and complete overkill) if spaced properly. How's the rest of the tank looking?

SouthFlorida_Tron
Rehype, whats your take on the AI SOLs?

from reef central, someone did a straight up test on ai SOL blue, radion, and vertex or w/e...

PAR Numbers @ 12" height

AquaIllumination

Center: 510

6" Left: 180

12" Forward: 120

Vertex Illumina

Center: 118

6" Left: 113

12" Forward: 109

Ecotech Radion

Center: 215

6" Left: 148

12" Forward: 130

PAR Numbers @ 6" Height

AquaIllumination

Center: 640

6" Left: 240

12" Forward: 103

Vertex Illumina

Center: 232

6" Left: 195

12" Forward: 171

Ecotech Radion

Center: 395

6" Left: 226

12" Forward: 158

Link to the thread.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...8048&page=4

I thought that was impressive. I was going to go Multi spectrum from my SOL blue until I saw this! We are still top dawgs on PAR on the overall market! Spectrum, spread aside... That's the biggest talk on AI... they're tight, then raise your. Module, mine is @ 7"... Need to raise it to 10-12"

3729635[/url]']

Rehype, whats your take on the AI SOLs?

I think they're great lights but they would benefit from having some neutral or warm whites in the fixture. Aesthetically they appear too "icy" IMO.

3730029[/url]']

I could see 24" inches wide being a bit of a stretch for two rows of LEDs centered over the tank. I'm sad to see the light go though. I bet two of that fixture would have been positively awesome (and complete overkill) if spaced properly. How's the rest of the tank looking?

I agree two fixtures would have been more than enough. Although I also wanted to test T5's for other reasons. The tank is looking ok although some of my sps are stressed because they haven't adjusted to my carbon/GFO reactor. I'm trying to find a balance...

I agree two fixtures would have been more than enough. Although I also wanted to test T5's for other reasons. The tank is looking ok although some of my sps are stressed because they haven't adjusted to my carbon/GFO reactor. I'm trying to find a balance...

How many bulbs & combo?

Overly use of carbon & GFO can definitely stress out SPS. I learned this first hand. Before, I was changing them out every 2-3weeks and I looked at my tank clueless as to what was causing the "STN" event. I finally figured out I was actually stripping too much nutrients out of the water column leaving nothing for the corals. Now my tank sits with a phosphate level of .08ppm. I have some hair algae, yet my sps are looking better than before.

How many bulbs & combo?

Overly use of carbon & GFO can definitely stress out SPS. I learned this first hand. Before, I was changing them out every 2-3weeks and I looked at my tank clueless as to what was causing the "STN" event. I finally figured out I was actually stripping too much nutrients out of the water column leaving nothing for the corals. Now my tank sits with a phosphate level of .08ppm. I have some hair algae, yet my sps are looking better than before.

Its the 6 Bulb version

(4)ATI Blue Plus

(1)ATI Purple Plus

(1)ATI Coral Plus

Ive experienced the same thing Asureef. My water was just too clean and started to stress alot of my SPS. So im trying to "dirty" up the water but keep the phosphates from getting too high... that seems to be the hardest part to balance.

Its the 6 Bulb version

(4)ATI Blue Plus

(1)ATI Purple Plus

(1)ATI Coral Plus

Ive experienced the same thing Asureef. My water was just too clean and started to stress alot of my SPS. So im trying to "dirty" up the water but keep the phosphates from getting too high... that seems to be the hardest part to balance.

Great combo, how are you likely the new ATI coral plus? I'm running a similar combo but with KZ new gen.

Oyster feast will definitely help dirty up that water. :)

Great combo, how are you likely the new ATI coral plus? I'm running a similar combo but with KZ new gen.

Oyster feast will definitely help dirty up that water. :)

Thanks man. I like the coral plus much better than Aquablue special its pretty much identical to the KZ new gen. Im also planning to add a reefbrite XHO strip for pop.

Thanks for the tip its funny i have some leftover in the fridge :D

Seems like I have been seeing lots of people go back to T5's from LED's. A couple guys in my club did this. One even went from having 4 AI sol blues back to MH and T5's.

Seems like I have been seeing lots of people go back to T5's from LED's. A couple guys in my club did this. One even went from having 4 AI sol blues back to MH and T5's.

I can understand why many do....its not that LEDS cant get the job done because ive seen some incredibly beautiful tanks with LEDS in person but i will say theres a certain look that can be achieved with other forms of lighting that some reefers seem to prefer..myself included.I think the largest area for debate is when it comes to growth and coloration in regards to SPS. Some reefers love LEDs while other prefer the coloration and/or growth patterns achieved with other forms of lighting but to be fair there are alot of factors other than lighting that contribute to overall SPS health.

I can understand why many do....its not that LEDS cant get the job done because ive seen some incredibly beautiful tanks with LEDS in person but i will say theres a certain look that can be achieved with other forms of lighting that some reefers seem to prefer..myself included.I think the largest area for debate is when it comes to growth and coloration in regards to SPS. Some reefers love LEDs while other prefer the coloration and/or growth patterns achieved with other forms of lighting but to be fair there are alot of factors other than lighting that contribute to overall SPS health.

I'm about to find out what that is as I am leaving MH and going with Daves' new led set-up. I actually liked the way your tank looked in the pics.

I'm about to find out what that is as I am leaving MH and going with Daves' new led set-up. I actually liked the way your tank looked in the pics.

You'll probably be one of the many that switch and never look back :) To be honest i dont think ive ever been completely happy with any of the lighting ive tried.....guess im just weird that way.

Its the 6 Bulb version

(4)ATI Blue Plus

(1)ATI Purple Plus

(1)ATI Coral Plus

Id like to see what this bulb combo looks like. Seems like it would be really blue from reading the descriptions of the bulbs.

Id like to see what this bulb combo looks like. Seems like it would be really blue from reading the descriptions of the bulbs.

Ill try to get some pics up over the weekend. Its actually not that blue at all believe or not.

To be honest i dont think ive never been completely happy with any of the lighting ive tried.....guess im just weird that way.

I've noticed! It seems like you go from MH+T5 to LED to just T5 on a yearly basis. :lol:

I've noticed! It seems like you go from MH+T5 to LED to just T5 on a yearly basis. :lol:

:lol: This is the first time ive tried all three on the same tank :wacko:

You just don't get the color with LED's you do with MH and T5. I think MH has the best color, but the crazy heat is a big drawback. I would love to find a way to incoporate LED's with a couple of t5 bulbs to help with color. That may be a summer project

Archived