Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hypes Archipelago

Rehype

You just don't get the color with LED's you do with MH and T5. I think MH has the best color, but the crazy heat is a big drawback. I would love to find a way to incoporate LED's with a couple of t5 bulbs to help with color. That may be a summer project

Id have to agree with that in the case of sps. I think overall T5 produce the best coloration in sps even halides typically need T5 or VHO supplementation to achieve the same colors that T5's do by themselves. Im already on it ;)

Oh just in case you guys ever find one of these in your tank id advise removing them as soon as possible. They're called armina nudibranch...beautiful species but unfortunately they feed on soft coral.I found one cruising around my tank after a water change. He must've hitched a ride on some coral. I put him in quarantine until i got a positive ID. Good news is i havent seen any others since i removed him.

nudibranch01.jpg

nudibranch00.jpg

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Par 55, and par 85. What does that mean in english? Which is better for SPS?

Oh just in case you guys ever find one of these in your tank id advise removing them as soon as possible. They're called armina nudibranch...beautiful species but unfortunately they feed on soft coral.I found one cruising around my tank after a water change. He must've hitched a ride on some coral. I put him in quarantine until i got a positive ID. Good news is i havent seen any others since i removed him.

He went in the toilet?

You just don't get the color with LED's you do with MH and T5. I think MH has the best color, but the crazy heat is a big drawback. I would love to find a way to incoporate LED's with a couple of t5 bulbs to help with color. That may be a summer project

Med, so what are LED's for? growth mostly?

Great Tank Rehype!

Beautiful pics... Congratulations!! wink.gif

Thanks alot marco im a big fan of your tank as well.

Par 55, and par 85. What does that mean in english? Which is better for SPS?

Typically Higher PAR is better especially for SPS but both readings area bit low for SPS.

He went in the toilet?

Unfortunately... i kept him in quarantine for a few days but once i got a positive ID he got a one way ticket back to the ocean.

Not to steal meds thunder but i think LEDs do a great job in most scenarios as can be seen from many of the tanks on this site. LEDS are also more efficient and cheaper(in some cases) than other forms of lighting however i do feel when all things are equal you can still get better coloration with other forms of lighting. This seems to be especially true of SPS.

Hype! What's up! Long time no post in here ;) lol I've been trying to catch up on your thread but mainly just been looking at the new additions to the tank! It looks amazing by the way! Havn't been on here in along time just had a baby! She's really cute. I'm finally also in the market to finally get my first tank and yours is a big inspiration, know a good site to get something clean and shallow like you have? Someplace that possibly makes sumps and such as well? Never done a SW tank and setting up plumbing scares me. lol Any advice would be greatly appreciated on a tank/stand purchase. O BTW, since this my first time back in months you think you could post a nice FTS with some perspective? Ur pix are always the best.

Hype! What's up! Long time no post in here ;) lol I've been trying to catch up on your thread but mainly just been looking at the new additions to the tank! It looks amazing by the way! Havn't been on here in along time just had a baby! She's really cute. I'm finally also in the market to finally get my first tank and yours is a big inspiration, know a good site to get something clean and shallow like you have? Someplace that possibly makes sumps and such as well? Never done a SW tank and setting up plumbing scares me. lol Any advice would be greatly appreciated on a tank/stand purchase. O BTW, since this my first time back in months you think you could post a nice FTS with some perspective? Ur pix are always the best.

Hey JF!!!!!Whats up bud?!Congrats on the new baby. If your looking for a new tank contact chris over at pico aquariums he does some really awesome custom work and if your looking for a new sump ive always liked johns work over at Advanced Acrylics. Ive been making some changes with the lighting but i hope to have some new pics up over the weekend. Glad to see your back

Hey JF!!!!!Whats up bud?!Congrats on the new baby. If your looking for a new tank contact chris over at pico aquariums he does some really awesome custom work and if your looking for a new sump ive always liked johns work over at Advanced Acrylics. Ive been making some changes with the lighting but i hope to have some new pics up over the weekend. Glad to see your back

Yea I was looking at pico and liking what they're doing over there, you got a link for advanced acrylics, all I get is some guy that makes business awards or somthign

Not to steal meds thunder but i think LEDs do a great job in most scenarios as can be seen from many of the tanks on this site. LEDS are also more efficient and cheaper(in some cases) than other forms of lighting however i do feel when all things are equal you can still get better coloration with other forms of lighting. This seems to be especially true of SPS.

Exactly what hype said. LED's consume less power, are proposed to have better longevity than other bulbs, greater flexibility in programmability, more natural light cycles and transitions, and create less heat (I can run my tank with a glass lid and long light cycle and not hit 80 degrees).

The drawbacks are spread (which can be dealt with) and in my opinion... aesthetics. The corals just don't look as good as under T5 of MH. IMO they don't look terrible, or bad, but it's definitely a noticeable drawback.

Yea I was looking at pico and liking what they're doing over there, you got a link for advanced acrylics, all I get is some guy that makes business awards or somthing

Ill pm you his email address

The drawbacks are spread (which can be dealt with) and in my opinion... aesthetics. The corals just don't look as good as under T5 of MH. IMO they don't look terrible, or bad, but it's definitely a noticeable drawback.

I dont know about the spread issue med. The way to get the best spread with LED's is not to use optics at all but this comes at a price... PAR numbers are considerably lower without the use of optics and the other issue for me was how considerable the drop off is beyond the center of the fixture.In most case reefers have to buy more than one module to get proper coverage. I guess thats why im falling in love with T5's all over again because the PAR readings are fantastic all over the tank.

I do totally agree with you med about the aesthetics ive seen some of the best looking LED tanks in person but i still wouldnt put them above some of the equivalent MH or T5 tanks ive seen.

Well, for my RSM I'm planning on keeping the T5's (55watt each) and adding either Ecoxotic stunner strips (for color) or Panorama PRO for color and growth.

I have noticed a significant improvement in my SPS under the T5's. Actually. I lied. My SPS came back to life.

So I am not about to let go of that kind of improvement. :lol:

SPS when I first got them (these are Jason Fox):

IMG_3524.JPG

A while later, notice the evil eye leptastrea turning white under what I now know was PAR 55

IMG_3527.JPG

Few more weeks:

IMG_3544.JPG

By the time I moved them to the RSM the lepto was all white. This pic within the first 3 days of being in the RSM:

IMG_3745.JPG

I'll post what it looks like after 2 weeks next but this was a miracle. My sunset monti went brown and is now coloring back up, others too.

Thats a dramatic improvement kat. It seems the lack of light is what did it. I wish i took a pic of a frag that i have that kind of resembles a sunset milli. But it color was a rustic orange the entire time ive had this frag. Since the switch to T5's it went from the rustic orange color to a deep green in less than a week. I was shocked but happy at the same time. I cant wait to see what else changes....

Wow, and I was slightly considering switching to LEDs when my next bulb change comes up... I think I'll be sticking with my "ancient" metal halides!

Wow, and I was slightly considering switching to LEDs when my next bulb change comes up... I think I'll be sticking with my "ancient" metal halides!

I think its best to stick to whatever works for your tank....I switched to LED's to just give it one more try and while the technology has made some great improvements since the last time i used them...i just wasnt fully satisfied with them.

Yeah. And look at this picture of the Acan Echinata in the RSM compared to pic #1 above

yep it seems like those corals were suffering from lack of light.

Thanx for the email dude, i'm def going to hit up that guy for a sump if I go that rout. Bad news ona custom pico though they said they aren't doing customs now I guess :( I've been doing some browsing of other sites and I can't seem to find any shallow cubes I can just buy, you know of another site that does that kinda work? Also, where'd you get that stand? Did you order it from somewhere or already had one? Sorry for all the questions and everything, i just love ur tank and how you do lol

Thanx for the email dude, i'm def going to hit up that guy for a sump if I go that rout. Bad news ona custom pico though they said they aren't doing customs now I guess :( I've been doing some browsing of other sites and I can't seem to find any shallow cubes I can just buy, you know of another site that does that kinda work? Also, where'd you get that stand? Did you order it from somewhere or already had one? Sorry for all the questions and everything, i just love ur tank and how you do lol

No problem man.Send an email to eddie over at cadlights i think he still does custom work. The stand i got from cadlights as well.

How's T5 switch treating you? Are you going to add some Royal blues? Now that I have a tank with Royal blues, I don't know if I could go back to normal actinics.... Plus, you know, shimmer.

How's T5 switch treating you? Are you going to add some Royal blues? Now that I have a tank with Royal blues, I don't know if I could go back to normal actinics.... Plus, you know, shimmer.

So far im very happy about the switch some coral are still recovering from an accidental overdose of carbon but all of my sps frags look better since the switch.

At this point i cant live without my royal blues i dont think theres any form of light that can create that type of "pop" so I added a 24" Reefbrite XHO which looks really good So good in fact I think im going to add another. I get a little bit of shimmer from the reefbrites but honestly i dont miss the shimmer as much as i thought i would. Overall i just really love the color of my tank right now.

So every time I look at my subscribed threads,I always scroll down to Hypes, and I'm like, where the pitcha's at? LOL, I have no room to talk, but I need more Hype photos!

So every time I look at my subscribed threads,I always scroll down to Hypes, and I'm like, where the pitcha's at? LOL, I have no room to talk, but I need more Hype photos!

your right pat I got a bit side tracked I'll be back on track by the next page ;)

Archived