Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hypes Archipelago

Rehype

Thanks jf. Thats a sweet tank you could totally fit all of those things in the bank chambers. Chris took all of those things into consideration when he designed those models. Thats a great fixture although if you could dont mind spending extra cash the ATI Sunpower (non-dimmable) version would be a great alternative to the TEK. The TEK lacks the cooling fans which are essential in making the bulbs more efficient by increasing their life and output.

Just a quick two cents on this. You might regret saving a few bucks by picking the tek over the sunpower, but you will not regret picking up an ATI T5 fixture. There is a reason that the best T5 tanks all use ATI fixtures.

Well the fixtures looks good, hype. I'd love to say that about your tank, but we haven't seen it in a while. ;)

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks man ill have some new FTS pics up soon.

So I always wanted to get some shots of an amphipod but they are always really hard to photograph.Mostly because they scurry in and out of the rocks so fast and they are usually most active once the lights are out. So i decided to catch one and have a quick photo shoot. It took me about 20 minutes to catch one out of my fuge but it was worth it as i caught a pretty large one. They are pretty fascinating up close

Pic at normal 1:1 magnification

6908081893_98c5c1a3ed_z.jpg

Pic at 3X magnification(taken with special macrolens)

6910690453_ce223dfb76_z.jpg

Cool pics!!!! Kinda makes me want to put roach killer in my tank.

thanks spiro....lol thats a bit extreme

Those eyes!!!! omgomgomg

I know right...theyre probably only able to see in black and white.

You need a better afternoon companion IMO. No. Really! Scared me off my chair again.

so. I'm in conversation with ecoxotic and they sent me this email to which I don't know how to respond, any help would be great.

"How much PAR do you feel you need? After spending the weekend with

Dr. Joshi and learning more about LEDs and PAR - the numbers I gave

you were using an APOGEE PAR meter. This meter does not measure blue

light well, so in reality, the 85 PAR at the bottom is likely closer

to 120-140. Our experience has been - 100 PAR minimum for clams and

SPS corals.

Do you go by a different guideline?"

My understanding was that the 55 PAR I am getting is extremely low and certainly not meant for SPS. Now if it is 55 with this APOGEE instrument, adjusting for what it might be otherwise, would that still not be too low for SPS?

Ohoh. Something I can help with. After having a mixed tank under LEDs for a year, and having a par test done...

my lps were bleaching out at 100 par (sandbed) but did alright with 30-50 par (partially shaded under a rock) BUT my par was very strange. At the top of my tank, where I keep (kept, getting out of it slowly) my sps the par was 163, and most things were browning out. Anemones are doing good though. So I think its going to truly depend on the sps. (for example, green caps did great where red caps turned brown)

For the record-I had a 'old generation' panorama with 3 stunner strips. Changed them for MH because I hated the color and browning sps.

You need a better afternoon companion IMO. No. Really! Scared me off my chair again.

so. I'm in conversation with ecoxotic and they sent me this email to which I don't know how to respond, any help would be great.

"How much PAR do you feel you need? After spending the weekend with

Dr. Joshi and learning more about LEDs and PAR - the numbers I gave

you were using an APOGEE PAR meter. This meter does not measure blue

light well, so in reality, the 85 PAR at the bottom is likely closer

to 120-140. Our experience has been - 100 PAR minimum for clams and

SPS corals.

Do you go by a different guideline?"

My understanding was that the 55 PAR I am getting is extremely low and certainly not meant for SPS. Now if it is 55 with this APOGEE instrument, adjusting for what it might be otherwise, would that still not be too low for SPS?

Didnt mean to scare ya kat. I guess its a bit of surprise if you arent expecting it.

In regards to the PAR numbers a reading of 55 is really low. Some species of SPS can survive with lower numbers(monti cap for instance) but most need much higher. Average for most SPS is between 200-500. While some SPS species need 600-1000.

Didnt mean to scare ya kat. I guess its a bit of surprise if you arent expecting it.

In regards to the PAR numbers a reading of 55 is really low. Some species of SPS can survive with lower numbers(monti cap for instance) but most need much higher. Average for most SPS is between 200-500. While some SPS species need 600-1000.

Thanks!

That ati + led combination looks wicked. If I tried that, I would probably end up getting a lot of light spill. And, great shot on that amphipod.

Thanks alot man. Well what i really love about the reefbrites is that your able to angle them to prevent light spill and get the best coverage.

thats some sick photos man.

Thanks alot jr

Thanks!

Your welcome

sick new macro shot!

Thanks marc

The monti cap get hit by gfo?

Not entirely it actually started to lighten when i switched to LED's but it i think i accelerated it once i overused the GFO/carbon.But since i got rid of the GFO and switched back to T5's its slowly beginning to darken although now it going to keep a deep pink color.

Wow... I wish your FTS is bigger so it can fit my desktop. omgomgomg

Thanks man i could email you a larger version if you want.

Archived