Coral Vue Hydros

Wilioli's 20L Sanctum

Wilioli

ac110. thatta boy! its a monster but I don't object. its not the size that counts, its the flow :P

lol it really is a monster... its sitting on the counter drying -- and it just looks... awkwardly large! lol, but im excited to see how the flow is for sure...the ac30 i have just looks ridiculous now.. and that was an upgrade from an old ac mini that i used to have...the 30 looked massive.. lol.. aquaclear needs to come out with something bigger than the 110...

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This one's especially for mojorizn... my 'small step' towards diy lighting... Check out the 'retrokit'!!

fugelight.jpg

Now that just totally rules. Looks like ya could light a small village with that sucker

btw...I'm just diggin the 5 - 2 WHOOPIN The Dallas Stars put on Montreal tonight.

Canadians invented hockey right? ... im just sayin

- Go Stars - #1 in the West baby

Now that just totally rules. Looks like ya could light a small village with that sucker

btw...I'm just diggin the 5 - 2 WHOOPIN The Dallas Stars put on Montreal tonight.

Canadians invented hockey right? ... im just sayin

- Go Stars - #1 in the West baby

ive given up on hockey... brutaaal.. THE STARS? come on... lol

this light is gonna grow chaeto on the exterior... of my house!

Ok..I won't hijack your tank thread...

But, I could use a new avatar and my Son has grown quite a bit since that pic was taken.

Bring The Cup back to Texas ... !!!

ok. I'm done

Glenn find a light fer ya yet? AND..glad to see your getting your hands DIYrty.

lollollol

nah i didn't ask glenn -- im actually goin to check out a used sfiligoi fixture tomorrow... thats a badass fixture.. gonna see how it looks and works... has no brackets -- so this will be a true diy test... im already panicking...

and ive been doin research on that aquatic life t5... its not bad at all actually.. .and for a 20 long.. it would make life easier -- built in timer, moon led's, separate actinic and white light switch -- one cord... ahhhh.. the lazy way out..

Separate timer for actinic and white? Like one each? or one timer for the entire light?

I gotta hand it to ya, you've put a lot of time and effort into this thing.

Separate timer for actinic and white? Like one each? or one timer for the entire light?

I gotta hand it to ya, you've put a lot of time and effort into this thing.

the timer lets u switch on each light separately or together -- the actinics, white and lunar leds

and yes.. ive been puttin in a lot of time.. its really the forums that have 'made' me do that.. anytime i asked a question before the majority of the responses were always ' NOPE, START OVER, U HAVE NO IDEA NEWBIE, STOP CUTTIN CORNERS, GOOGLE IT, READ ABOUT IT, BLA BLA BLA" lol

so basically it started off with me needing ammo for those responses.. lol I'm still waitin on my contact here thats selling fishneedit fixtures in canada.. that'll be ideal for me.. and im doin my research (if i go halide) between 2 bulbs.. the 12k reeflux, and the 20k radium t5 bulbs is really just a whole different world.. !

Sweet....thats perfect. Now for the replacement bulbs....lol

Back----

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Blue Special ( pretty white )

ULV Aquasun

ATI Blue Plus

Front----

feel free to flip the two in the middle / leave the Blue+'s on the outside.

Expecting pics after New Years....

there'd better be pics after new years!!! so why not alternate them so 1st bulb is blue, and third is blue? just curious.

and why this combo specifically -- again curious -- i know there's a master plan here.. lol

If ya keep the blues on the outside AND set them to come on first AND have , say, and hour longer than the center ... ya got a dawn / day / dusk kinda thing going on.

Example:

Blue+'s on at 12 noon off at 9pm

Blue Special and ULV on at 12:30 off at say 8:30pm

Moonlights the rest as they are probably automatic. If ya can set a timer for the moon lights as well ...

8:30 pm till 4-5 am.

The idea being to give your tank a few hours of complete darkness if possible.

Ya can always increase the total light period by an hour as well.

oh yea ...it's a good proven combo...ask Glenn

hmmm.. thats assuming the timer can be set for individual bulbs... i have no idea if it pairs the first two together and the last two... something i should look into.. otherwise if they were all single timed -- then i could put the blues whereever really, and have them on first for ur dawn to dusk thing..

now ur sayin start at noon?!?! i have my lights comin on at 9am..!!!

If it's a four bulb fixture ....

It'll be one of two things... more than likely...lol

one switch and timer for the entire light OR two separate timers for 2 bulb sets each.

T5's work in pairs just like a fluorescent shop light. Remove one bulb...the other goes out.

follow me?

As for lighting....generally an 8-10 hour photo period. Start it when ya want.

Check this out.

This tank is starting to come together I really like the dark sand and darker rocks on the right. It actually gives me some ideas on making a 'lagoon' style tank that could be pretty awesome.

Things are looking good all around.

Glad to see there's some hockey fans on NR. I just wish the US could give Canada baseball and take hockey. I hate baseball. As for the stars being #1 in the west...well that's just fine. The hurricanes will be waiting on you in the championship. That cup is coming back to NC!

one switch and timer for the entire light OR two separate timers for 2 bulb sets each.

T5's work in pairs just like a fluorescent shop light. Remove one bulb...the other goes out.

Check this out.

I'm not even sure if im gettin these lights and im stressin it... I looked up the manual.. lol.. The timer works based on this:

1. 10000k front

2. 420/460

3. 10000k

4. 420/460 back

your arrangement can work now, just blues won't be on the outside anymore... same idea and effect tho right?

and that link -- WOW.. I'm just gonna copy paste that link for any t5 questions that come up.. love those guys -- no small talk, the answer to ur question is this magical link with all the answers. thanks again!

This tank is starting to come together I really like the dark sand and darker rocks on the right. It actually gives me some ideas on making a 'lagoon' style tank that could be pretty awesome.

Things are looking good all around.

Glad to see there's some hockey fans on NR. I just wish the US could give Canada baseball and take hockey. I hate baseball. As for the stars being #1 in the west...well that's just fine. The hurricanes will be waiting on you in the championship. That cup is coming back to NC!

Thanks, appreciate it!!! I'm hoping everything will look even that much better with LIGHTS. lol, any type of lights!!

please keep baseball. I'm not really a sports fan at all, but baseball is something I might actually hate..! lol I wish soccer was more mainstream, I'd follow that sport for sure.

so we got the canadians, the stars, and the hurricanes -- bruuutal! lol

believe me, if i had the funds i would go led all the way... i 'ninja hijack' led threads and read along giddily with everyone's builds and ideas and comments... lol

maybe it was too quick.. maybe not...

sfiligoi.jpg

anyone have any ideas on how i can hang this? no brackets.. just two cables on the top of it... dont want to screw it into the ceiling if i don't have to...

oohhh -

That looks like a MH to me....what is it?

Hanging like this: or maybe not

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233798

or this: out of conduit as shown or make the same thing out of pvc.

http://www.abaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142

just some ideas to get ya thinking

------------------------------------

and The Cane's...really....you guys are barely above 500 / 4th in yall's division and scrubbing the floors in the overall....not this year my friend....lol

------------------------------------

sorry Will --

ummm... go bluejays? lol

---------------------------

I like the conduit idea a lot.. the unit comes with the hanging kit already on it.. the guy i got it from had it hanging on his ceiling. i don't think wifey wants me to make any holes in the ceiling... we'll see..

its a sfiligoi 150w metal halide unit..can't remember the name of the bulb now.. starts with a "p" and its not phoenix.. its a 12500k bulb that was used for approx 3 months i believe? anyways, its got some life in it, and id like to try it out see how it is.. BUT I WANT THIS LIGHT UP!!

--> oh and its a 24" fixture.. any ideas/suggestions on how high up above the tank it should be?

Start between 4-8 inches and watch your water temps. If you seeing a 3-4 degree temp jump after the lights have been on several hours then a fan on a timer(?) is gonna be your best bet. Also, evap will increase with the fan usage (evaporative cooling), so keep the tank topped off with fresh RO/DI or get an ATO going..

LOL...just when ya thought ya had it all covered.....

Your gonna get evap regardless. Salt doesn't evap. So, if the water evaps but not the salt....salinity goes up right? = not good. So, ya gotta top off that tank with fresh RO/DI either way. An ATO just Automates the process for ya. Auto Top Off ... hmm ... lol.

No, ya don't need a sump in the beginning or maybe ever for that matter. Ya can "rig" a top off DIY or buy one and go from there...pretty ez to set up ... or ... you can just top off daily or as needed by hand.

Lots of people will use the inner rim "line" as a guide to gauge the evap and keep the water line at the inner rim line by "topping off the tank" with fresh RO/DI ... follow me?

I love this thread, no I REALLY do. If I ever get back to Canada I'm comin over...

Archived