Coral Vue Hydros

Wilioli's 20L Sanctum

Wilioli

Converting it into a refugium is quite easy too.

right now I have made baffles, and added sand to the refugium (since the re-mod) Due to a super stressed coral, I added a significant bag of carbon.. the way I set my baffles up, I could easily stick a cartridge in the space provided, or those little sponge pads that are infused with carbon and whatnot. I do use another filter with carbon (not much room on a 10 gallon with the AC110)

it provides excellent flow with extra pumps to really stir it around. I do not think I have much in the way of dead spots with that tank. (2 filters and a pump it's hard to really)

Just poke me sometime and I can draw you up a quick example of modding the 110 to refugium.

Converting it into a refugium is quite easy too.

right now I have made baffles, and added sand to the refugium (since the re-mod) Due to a super stressed coral, I added a significant bag of carbon.. the way I set my baffles up, I could easily stick a cartridge in the space provided, or those little sponge pads that are infused with carbon and whatnot. I do use another filter with carbon (not much room on a 10 gallon with the AC110)

Edit: just checked it's a 100 watt Kinda powerful in all honesty should not matter when I go to my 25 gallon in future

it provides excellent flow with extra pumps to really stir it around. I do not think I have much in the way of dead spots with that tank. (2 filters and a pump it's hard to really)

Just poke me sometime and I can draw you up a quick example of modding the 110 to refugium.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

appreciate it -- I've found some threads here on how to mod the 110 -- it seems simple enough.. just a matter of what'll fit.. specifically my eheim heater that won't fit in my tank standing up! So basically its the placement of my baffles that'll be changed around...

my doubts are how the water is heated enough for the whole tank? Everyone's doin it -- so it obviously works.. but it just seems .. unlikely! lol

If you consider how much water flows through that filter and back into the tank. because of the flow of water, your heat will likely be more evenly distributed rather than in a possible dead spot. the AC110 circulates the tank's water quickly so it's even. Similar concept to the sump setup where people put the heaters into the sump rather than the tank.

If you consider how much water flows through that filter and back into the tank. because of the flow of water, your heat will likely be more evenly distributed rather than in a possible dead spot. the AC110 circulates the tank's water quickly so it's even. Similar concept to the sump setup where people put the heaters into the sump rather than the tank.

yea i figured it would be more evenly distributed cause of the flow -- but the flow is what made me think it wouldnt' have enough time to be heated..? but I guess it'll be the initial 'switch on' period -- after which some sort of equilibrium will be established... got it now, thanks again! where are the pics of this new coral?

to those that come on here and view this page. if u could please help me out with my lighting question

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=256782

thank you

yea i figured it would be more evenly distributed cause of the flow -- but the flow is what made me think it wouldnt' have enough time to be heated..? but I guess it'll be the initial 'switch on' period -- after which some sort of equilibrium will be established... got it now, thanks again! where are the pics of this new coral?

to those that come on here and view this page. if u could please help me out with my lighting question

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=256782

thank you

the black sun coral and the fox coral are my new ones. they are posted in my thread.

tell you what.

tomorrow, i will take 24 readings of temperature in my tank. meaning 24 different spots varrying from water level, mid way & sand, back to front. Then give you the results. Honestly, with a 20g tank & atleast 30x turn over. 1 ounce of water passes directly past the heater 30 times in an hour. Given the fact it's in an aquarium with rock sand & fish, thats inside of a house which is insulated & the ambient temp is 65-70*, everything will be fine.

oh & here is the heater i am using. it's cheaper than what i paid for it in the LFS

http://www.petstew.com/B0002DJUUQ/marinela...eater-150w.html

hahahahah, don't worry about that.. like i said everyone else is doing it -- and so it must be working!! Annndd... I was initially going to get the stealth.. but honestly everything ive read has told me not to get it -- I've heard there are a lot of problems with that heater shattering, and shorting as well. thats the only reason i got the eheim.

Just wanted to say you've got another Canadian following your tank(also from Barrie actually)!! Great looking tank so far, can't wait to see it all finished.

Where do you do your aqarium shopping in barrie? I've liked Big Als with my FW stuff in the past, plus the staff has always been good and helpful to me. I just don't know how good of quality their SW stuff is.

Anyways, great looking tank, it's making me want to get my 20L set up!!

Just wanted to say you've got another Canadian following your tank(also from Barrie actually)!! Great looking tank so far, can't wait to see it all finished.

Where do you do your aqarium shopping in barrie? I've liked Big Als with my FW stuff in the past, plus the staff has always been good and helpful to me. I just don't know how good of quality their SW stuff is.

Anyways, great looking tank, it's making me want to get my 20L set up!!

niice!

are you also apart of the MASB?

Its funny u mention that about bigals -- I've been having negative experiences with them and their staff -- except for lets say 2 of them.

Im actually on a hunt to find something better than bigals and jlaquatics.

So you're starting a new sw tank then? the 20L? get a thread started up here !

niice!

are you also apart of the MASB?

Its funny u mention that about bigals -- I've been having negative experiences with them and their staff -- except for lets say 2 of them.

Im actually on a hunt to find something better than bigals and jlaquatics.

So you're starting a new sw tank then? the 20L? get a thread started up here !

I have no clue what MASB is, so no. I'll google them in a minute.

I've only had problems with a couple, and they were just the ones that I didn't think had tanks, so they didn't really get what I was trying to say. Plus FW is easy, I never had crazy questions to ask like I may have with SW.

I'll get a thread when I actually have the time/money to get it up!! Not til the new year, hopefully in January I'll have it started, fingers crossed.

I have no clue what MASB is, so no. I'll google them in a minute.

I've only had problems with a couple, and they were just the ones that I didn't think had tanks, so they didn't really get what I was trying to say. Plus FW is easy, I never had crazy questions to ask like I may have with SW.

I'll get a thread when I actually have the time/money to get it up!! Not til the new year, hopefully in January I'll have it started, fingers crossed.

I pm'd you bout masb

well let me know when the thread starts, and ill definitely follow.. and if you have any questions, let me know -- im very new, but if i can help i will.

ok so sue me. I got lazy

took 4 readings (well 5 really)

all four corners of the tank are as follows

left front 76.2

left back 76.2

right front 76.3

right back 76.2

BOTTOM

left back 76.1

left front 76.0

right front 76.1

right back 76.1

SO go do it, NOW

oh & i took your pictures of my filter. look for me on face book

longislandboi85@gmail.com

ok so sue me. I got lazy

took 4 readings (well 5 really)

all four corners of the tank are as follows

left front 76.2

left back 76.2

right front 76.3

right back 76.2

BOTTOM

left back 76.1

left front 76.0

right front 76.1

right back 76.1

SO go do it, NOW

oh & i took your pictures of my filter. look for me on face book

longislandboi85@gmail.com

hahahahhaha, dude, i feel horrible.. u really didnt' have to do that.. i told yea i believe you! but thanks, and i wont feel too bad cause u said u were lazy.. i dont have facebook.. lol i deleted that cause it was a mindtrap for me.. now this forum is.. but yea..

AND YOU'LL BE HAPPY (UPDATE FOR ALL AS WELL) -- I BOUGHT AN AC110.. lol.. its so much bigger than I had imagined (thats what she said)

soooo, tryin to see if i can angle my MASSIVE heater in there without having to go buy another heater... it'll compromise the space for chaeto, but i figure thats ok... a lot of ppl put the chemi pure under the chaeto in the same area.. i figure ill put the chemi pure or whatever else where the heater will be.. taking.. up.. space.. lol

edit: cancel that.. there is NO SPACE for my heater.. unless it stretches across horizontally for the WHOLE filter... lol sooo we're just gonna leave a space for a heater for the future.. leave my heater in the tank for now... and get the chaeto in there... look out for INSANE DIY BUILDS FOR THE AC11O MOD AND DIY LIGHT FIXTURE.. EXTREME!!!

These next 'diy masterpieces' are dedicated to JBM, Mojorizn, Newmanology and Markushka.. EXTREEEEMMMEE!!!!! omgomgomg:scarry::haha:

acmodded.jpg

This one's especially for mojorizn... my 'small step' towards diy lighting... Check out the 'retrokit'!!

fugelight.jpg

don't hate -- that light is goin to grow the sh!t outta the chaeto... :haha::scarry:fingerscrossedomgomgomg:ninja:

woah, nice DIY stuff here, love the fuge lamp. was thinking of using one for my AC but figured i could make use of that coralife 12" PC fixture i had lying around.

dont worry I can already see that its very large compared to the filter setup lol! remember I wanted to do the same thing...maybe it'll look awkward but the function is the important part.

yea thats what i was goin for .. the person i got the chaeto from has a 30+gallon sump, and the chaeto in there is growing exponentially from a regular 26w homedepot bulb... Hence the fixture

Archived