Coral Vue Hydros

Wilioli's 20L Sanctum

Wilioli

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea i saw that diy.. i was gonna follow that and go with that.. but i also don't want my light to be affected by it... im gonna have to think bout it and see what the price difference is between a glass lid and mesh diy

Got some new frags and a used refractometer! Maybe some of you can help me id the zoas -- poor quality camera pics, my apologies for that.. ill try and get someone else's camera if need be.. but I think its pretty clear to identify....

Milwaukee Refractometer

refractometer.jpg

These are old ones -- the one on the right is a 'gorilla nipple', but the other ones? resemble purple heart zoas.. but not sure..

zoa2frag.jpg

Im pretty sure these are 'Wham'n Watermelon'..?

zoawatermelon.jpg

Yellow Submarine?

zoayellow.jpg

Green Star polyps!

gsp.jpg

Pulsing Xenia! Keeps toppling over.. maybe fishing line to rock?

pulsingxenia.jpg

Glue the frag plug to the rock

which one? all? and why? just curious.. i thought I could just 'leave it' as long as its stable?

which one? all? and why? just curious.. i thought I could just 'leave it' as long as its stable?

all, because it will help with this

Pulsing Xenia! Keeps toppling over..
all, because it will help with this

lol, my bad -- yea the xenia itself is bending down and looks like its falling.. the frag plug sits still and is very stable... you can't tell from the pic, but the 'pom poms' of the xenia are facing you, but the stalk isn't upright -- its like a candy cane.... except a demented one

lol @ demented candy cane; your corals look nice :) I'm sure theyll color up tons and youll be able to ID those zoas better.

lol @ demented candy cane; your corals look nice :) I'm sure theyll color up tons and youll be able to ID those zoas better.

thanks! will they color up more? they came from a tank that had a 250w phoenix 14k lighting with supplemental t5's -- much better than mine.. I was thinking maybe my tank would take out some of the color?

Very nice tank .. It is coming along nicely.

I am starting up a 20L myself and have been looking through every ones threads whom have one to see what they have done for their scape. It is nice to see a fellow Canadian with one of these to get all inspired from.

Also, you said you were looking for a DIY top. I am using egg crate and have cut it fit the space inside the tank. It sits perfectly on the inner rim and is strong enough for my cats to sit on should they try.

Please keep the pics and updates coming. :)

I think your zoas will color up some after a few weeks. It's amazing how some of my corals took 3-4 weeks just to really get used to the light and then another month to start coloring up. I think it looks great though man...glad to see some frags going in there!

Very nice tank .. It is coming along nicely.

I am starting up a 20L myself and have been looking through every ones threads whom have one to see what they have done for their scape. It is nice to see a fellow Canadian with one of these to get all inspired from.

Also, you said you were looking for a DIY top. I am using egg crate and have cut it fit the space inside the tank. It sits perfectly on the inner rim and is strong enough for my cats to sit on should they try.

Please keep the pics and updates coming. :)

thank you for the kind compliments!

I want to use egg crate... The thing is im very ignorant towards any sort of labor/diy work/putting things together.. lol -- I went to home depot and was told i need a jigsaw with a fine blade to cut the eggcrate to size... I have an exacto knife... thats it.. lol..

I was looking at one of those DIY mesh screen things... the tools all come in one box... and the tools are just a spline.. lol.. i already have the exacto knife!

I think your zoas will color up some after a few weeks. It's amazing how some of my corals took 3-4 weeks just to really get used to the light and then another month to start coloring up. I think it looks great though man...glad to see some frags going in there!

Thank you !!

Thats interesting... I had no idea that moving corals from one place to another could 'reset' things like that!! I mean, if they were coming from an established tank, and the move wasn't like overnite or more... -- but this makes things that much better on the 'wait'.. I wanted to get one frag -- but its tough to not get more.. lol... I'm hopin my gsp takes over lol lol

I'm hopin my gsp takes over lol lol

It will haha. Mine is growing so fast it's absurd. It's eventually going to overtake the entire island on the right side, but I won't let it do that. It's somewhat isolated. It's currently creeping all over the surface skimming box in the back.

thank you for the kind compliments!

I want to use egg crate... The thing is im very ignorant towards any sort of labor/diy work/putting things together.. lol -- I went to home depot and was told i need a jigsaw with a fine blade to cut the eggcrate to size... I have an exacto knife... thats it.. lol..

I was looking at one of those DIY mesh screen things... the tools all come in one box... and the tools are just a spline.. lol.. i already have the exacto knife!

Yeah I know what you mean about the whole not familiar with the diy thing, but this hobby has taught me a few tricks about ingenuity.

Well you don't need a jig saw to cut egg crate. If you have a rotary/dremel tool kit that will work. That is all I use. You can pick them up for a decent price at Canadian Tire, Sears or Kijiji for around $20-$100 depending if they are on sale or not. I use mine for a lot of things around the house and it only take a few minutes to cut up the egg crate. It honestly think it is one of those things that all people should have around their homes in case of emergencies whether you are a man or woman.

You could do the cutting with an exacto knife, but that is just a whole lot of work.

The Mesh screening works good too if you don't have an animal that likes to sit on top of the tank.

It will haha. Mine is growing so fast it's absurd. It's eventually going to overtake the entire island on the right side, but I won't let it do that. It's somewhat isolated. It's currently creeping all over the surface skimming box in the back.

I was thinking of MAYBE sticking the frag on the back glass -- let it take over there.. i've heard of people doing that, and it sounds like a fair idea... just to get rid of it if i did ever think it to be a nuisance would be... harder to say the least.... but it just looks so cool! lol

You can pick them up for a decent price at Canadian Tire, Sears or Kijiji for around $20-$100 depending if they are on sale or not.

I didn't even bother checking the price -- didn't realize i could get somethin like that for under 100 bucks... thanks a lot --- done deal

gsp on the back wall looks pretty cool. Just make sure it doesn't creep on on the rocks, and you're all good.

good enuff for me, gsp on the wall it is.. lol lol

I've cut egg crate with scissors and just used a sander to smooth the edges if needed.

How simple is that?

Now if ya need exact cuts to fit inside the rim nice and pretty like ... that's another story.

I still say ... build a canopy. HA

good enuff for me, gsp on the wall it is.. lol lol

I think GSP on the wall looks great. Mine is currently growing up the wall and I believe at some point I'll have to remove the rocks it's on to isolate it back there.

You'll be thankful later on.

I've cut egg crate with scissors and just used a sander to smooth the edges if needed.

How simple is that?

Now if ya need exact cuts to fit inside the rim nice and pretty like ... that's another story.

I still say ... build a canopy. HA

Build a canopy!

Side note: Went to the past few canes home games. Lost to the Panthers Monday night. Are you kidding?

Looks like Mojo's stars are playing consistent and smooth hockey. Hate to say it! I lived in San Jose for the first 3/4 of 2010 so I may be pulling against them. Maybe. :P

Archived