Top Shelf Aquatics

jbm's 20 long

JBM

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I promise I'm not clowning around.

On a serious note, this Guy I got the clowns from lived way the f*ck up north on long island. Literally if I walked 20 feet further north I'd be in the long island sound. Anyway it was way after lights out when I got home. Acclimated the clowns for 35 mins via the drip method & hand scooped them out. The female established dominance in our relationship very quickly by biting me. No blood thankfully, but she got a free piece of flesh.

The male on the other hand. I underestimated his sneaky-ness. Tried to scoop him out. That didn't please him one bit. So he decided to go sky diving/ carpet surfing. Needless to say I got sneaky in the tank & all is well.

Pictures tonight when I get home

Clowns doing very well, they are still bonded after 24 hours. Last night they spent the night apart. Tonight they are sleeping together.

Water is still 10% cloudy. Changed the pantyhose with carbon in it for fresh & a larger dose. Tomorrow i promise a 2g water change & pictures of the tank (even if it looks yucky)

so i had a trick in the box of goodies & managed to get them to eat a very tiny little bit.

this is gonna be difficult. but they ate a small bit of raw table shrimp soaked in garlic xtreme & garlic juice (which also had a sprinkling of spirulina & freeze dried mysis)

anyway water is slowly clearing up, zoas & mushies are still happy.

pics to prove it

150814_10150103401530739_600630738_7366989_586416_n.jpg

162865_10150103401635739_600630738_7366993_7626693_n.jpg

155145_10150103401400739_600630738_7366986_4035794_n.jpg

& yes it's cloudy compaired to my 5g which sometimes i forget is a tank that it's so clear

Looks good Everything does look happy. Glad the clowns ate for ya If their hungry they will eat Right? Or maybe thats just for dogs LOL

hey got a newb question for yea. I notice that you (and everyone else) gets their corals on those plugs, and leaves them on the sand bed, and then later puts them where you'll want them on the scape. so is this a form of acclimation for the corals? how long do you leave them on the sand bed?

btw everything looks amazing!

I try to leave them on the plug indefinitely. Others use the sand bed as acclimation & once there scape & or location is set. Then they transfer.

Personally I'm not 100% happy with the scape, so I don't want to be anchored down to any direction for the rock just yet.

Also my tank looks like sh*t right now. Thanks for the compliments anyway.

yea, it's a crappy lookin tank. it will be crappy for at least another 4-5 months or untill the rock starts to turn colors & i have the necessary funds to fill it out with zoas & various lps

yea, it's a crappy lookin tank. it will be crappy for at least another 4-5 months or untill the rock starts to turn colors & i have the necessary funds to fill it out with zoas & various lps

bruuuutal -- thats how long it takes rock to change colors? my base rock is gonna take forever!!

bruuuutal -- thats how long it takes rock to change colors? my base rock is gonna take forever!!

i dont believe in dosing things, it gets me into trouble & i have nuked an entire tank from dosing. So yea, it can take a long time but i have all the time in the world. Besides i started this tank with nothing live, so it will naturally take more time. Some people dose purple up & have claimed good results but i dont care for the stuff & my bottle of it is atleast 6 years old.

Time is the best teacher, unfortunately it also kills all of it's pupils.

tank is a wee bit clearer, but still not 100%. After i finish up with my midnights I will be going to the lfs for new purigen & phoslock.

the fuge light came in, it's cute. Im sure my cheato is happy to finally have light after being in the dark for almost 2 weeks. I probably wont buy from DR.Fosters again due to there epicly slow shipping. Im going to have the fuge light on 24/7, checking the cheato every few days. If it doesnt work out i will buy a timer & only run it on a reverse light cycle.

Nice start to the tank. I like the custom led's!

I had some trouble leaving my AC50 fuge light running 24/7. It had a bad outbreak of hair algae on the live rock rubble in the fuge and the chaeto turned into a ball of slime. I took it apart and cleaned it today and threw out the chaeto. Luckily I have my cuc on order from reefcleaners along with some chaeto to replace the old slime ball. I plan to run a 12-14 hour cycle on the fuge light this time.

Archived