Coral Vue Hydros

jbm's 20 long

JBM

mp10... watch videos on youtube on the skimmer and mp10 then decide.. lol, ok thats not fair, but yea mp10 is on my wishlist for sure

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mp10... watch videos on youtube on the skimmer and mp10 then decide.. lol, ok thats not fair, but yea mp10 is on my wishlist for sure

I will have both & more by the end of the year. Its just a matter of which to buy first. Dude wants $85 shipped for the skimmer, think ill take it & in a month or 2 pick up the mp10.

Go for the skimmer first. It is one of the best purchases to make right away, then get the mp10.

I love my remora skimmer on my larger tank. It took a while to break in, but now it really gets some nasty gunk outta my tank.

Wish list for 2011:

hardware

Skimmer- just paid for it

Mp10

Arduino controller or reef keeper

Mesh lid

Better led fixture

Moonlighting

ac110 fuge

Chiller

Auto top off

coral

Lps

Bubble coral

torch

frogspawn

Scollys

brains

Various acan frags

Candy canes

Sps frags

Stylo

Birds nest

Tabling acro

Monti cap

More zoas

Nuclear greens

Keds reds

Armor of gods

Magicians

Etc

And get rid of that god forsaken damsel.

.............is it ok if i copy your wish list? lol... I like that you don't push the idea of a sump.. I really want a sump, but really only because everyone else says its good, lol, to me it just seems like extra work and worry.. I've been looking into arduino controllers, and other controllers for that matter.. .they say they can control things like ph, temp, salinity, ato, etc -- how? like it comes with something to do that? or you have to have the hardware, and it controls the hardware...?

.............is it ok if i copy your wish list? lol... I like that you don't push the idea of a sump.. I really want a sump, but really only because everyone else says its good, lol, to me it just seems like extra work and worry.. I've been looking into arduino controllers, and other controllers for that matter.. .they say they can control things like ph, temp, salinity, ato, etc -- how? like it comes with something to do that? or you have to have the hardware, and it controls the hardware...?

You can copy anything you like. Remember imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

From my experience. A reef controller will only stabilized temp & salinity via ato & heater/ fans. It can monitor all parameters tho via sensors. It can also do cool things like turn your lights & pumps on & off.

I had a sump on my 40 breeder. It wasn't all that earth shattering. Besides I have a 3 year old daughter that likes to touch things. Keeping equipment hanging on the back of the tank stops her from touching it. Further more, my 5g was the experiment that proved to me you don't need fancy equipment to have a successful reef. Had less than$100 in equipment. If I didn't move & upgrade. It would still be running smoothly.

thats pretty sweet -- i didtn't realize about the sensors..

thats the other problem for me as well -- my 2 year old daughter! She was very cautious about the tank when it first started out -- id let her sit on the table and look at the tank. Now she thinks the 'fishies' want her apple juice. Sump on the bottom is just asking for it...

thats pretty sweet -- i didtn't realize about the sensors..

thats the other problem for me as well -- my 2 year old daughter! She was very cautious about the tank when it first started out -- id let her sit on the table and look at the tank. Now she thinks the 'fishies' want her apple juice. Sump on the bottom is just asking for it...

Mine wants to give "nemo" & "buddy" money for food. Its cute but dangerous because corals don't like pennies

Mine wants to give "nemo" & "buddy" money for food. Its cute but dangerous because corals don't like pennies

lol at least they're considerate.. lol

Wish list for 2011:

hardware

Skimmer- just paid for it

Mp10

Arduino controller or reef keeper

Mesh lid

Better led fixture

Moonlighting

ac110 fuge

Chiller

Auto top off

And get rid of that god forsaken damsel.

Glad you bought the skimmer before the MP10. It's a necessity although mine doesn't really pull TOO much out. It does get nasty after about 5-7 days of skimming.

Your arduino will be your top off. Once you have the controller's upfront purchase cost and some relays the only thing you need is a float switch and a small pump. I use the aqua lifter because I like to top off like 50 times a day in very small amounts.

The moonlighting could be accomplished at the same time as your LED fixture and your arduino may keep you from even needing a chiller. LEDs produce almost no heat so unless your tank is in a place without A/C you could do some fancy coding to shut down things in case of an emergency. My controller keeps the tank between 80.0 and 80.1 ALL day long. ALL day long.

You can copy anything you like. Remember imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

From my experience. A reef controller will only stabilized temp & salinity via ato & heater/ fans. It can monitor all parameters tho via sensors. It can also do cool things like turn your lights & pumps on & off.

That's about right. The arduino can handle all your lighting and everything but it's also the easiest to do things like 'turn off your heater, lights, and half the powerheads in the tank if the temp hits 82'. You have such a wide range of control that you just won't have with a reef keeper. I'm not knocking that product because I hear they're fantastic but I really have enjoyed my arduino based system. I have feed modes (had a movie mode and killed it) but that's just the tip of the iceberg. I think you'd really enjoy the arduino and there's a huge sense of accomplishment (at least for me) knowing that I built the system that's been running great for 4 months keeping things in check.

You just need to buy the controller ($40)

RTC (real time clock) $20

Relays @ ~ $7 each if you don't mind using eBay and ordering from China or Korea.

Some wires and resistors and you're in business.

Haha scary and adorable.

That's about right. The arduino can handle all your lighting and everything but it's also the easiest to do things like 'turn off your heater, lights, and half the powerheads in the tank if the temp hits 82'. You have such a wide range of control that you just won't have with a reef keeper. I'm not knocking that product because I hear they're fantastic but I really have enjoyed my arduino based system. I have feed modes (had a movie mode and killed it) but that's just the tip of the iceberg. I think you'd really enjoy the arduino and there's a huge sense of accomplishment (at least for me) knowing that I built the system that's been running great for 4 months keeping things in check.

You just need to buy the controller ($40)

RTC (real time clock) $20

Relays @ ~ $7 each if you don't mind using eBay and ordering from China or Korea.

Some wires and resistors and you're in business.

where did you find the controller for $40? I cant find one online retailer that has the mega 2560 in stock, or for less than $65.

im not scared about building it or it working. I've built quite a few car ecus, stereos, & a few stand alone ems (megasquirt v2 & v3.0) plus my job. besides i did build my fixture :8

i wish i could just find a few pin outs & or wiring schematics. then i would be feel more confident

hi5!

Did everything make it alright?

everything except the gps is doing well.

stupid damsel is harrasing one frag, the other is no glued to a rock & pissed off

oh & i got stuck up this morning

163884_10150128573380739_600630738_7778279_8145913_n.jpg

everything except the gps is doing well.

stupid damsel is harrasing one frag, the other is no glued to a rock & pissed off

that the damsel ur tryin to banish?

Yes the damsel that I'm trying to banish to the toilet. The damsel that I knew I shouldn't have put in there. The damsel that bites me every chance it gets.

I hate it.

:lol: :lol: I hope you catch him on tape -- sounds like it'd make a great video

the only video of it will be it gasping for air in the toilet, right before i flush the dam thing.

or maybe i should make a "will it blend" video. NR decides

Archived