Cultivated Reef

jbm's 20 long

JBM

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's a ac70, nothings fishy in there.

what ever this is, it's not effecting the corals as of yet, they are all still wide open & happy.

I should make mention that this is now day 3 of this, did a 2g w/c yesterday. It got a little bit better then got worse today.

u think its a bacterial bloom? i remember when i was first reading up about starting a tank there was a lot of mention of cloudy water during the first month.. differential was bacterial bloom, and the rest having to do with nitrogen cycle alterations -- ur param's being zero i figure maybe bacterial bloom?

Does the water have a yellow tint to it in person? The pic looks yellowish to me, which makes me think you should run some carbon for a few days. Remove the carbon when the water clears.

Not really.

I do have a full unit of chemipure in the filter. I have some regular carbon I can run. Going to do another 2g water change today.

Not quite sure where your going with this

better to just hear everyone else out. .lol.. thought id help the brainstorming.. but if its bacterial bloom.. corals are fine.. everything fine.. then wait it out and all will be ok..

better to just hear everyone else out. .lol.. thought id help the brainstorming.. but if its bacterial bloom.. corals are fine.. everything fine.. then wait it out and all will be ok..

that makes a bit more sense

the sole fish eats, swims actively. no breathing heavy or staying near the bottom. corals are open (when lights are on)

i added some kent marine reef carbon (i've had this jigunda bottle for 6 years) lets see if this does anything.

I agree on the bacterial thing. Happened to me. Lasted about 5 days. I did water changes but it will just get better then worse pretty rapidly. That's a waiting game. Livestock won't mind but you will most likely get a spike in ammonia when they start dying off.

in my 6-7 years of reefing (10 years of sw fish keeping) this has never happened to me, so it's a wee bit new.

i guess i'll just keep doing 1-2g water changes. it cant hurt, but it might be feeding the algae bloom also

Agreed. Looked at the tank before I left the house. Looks like its all cleared up. But then again, its been a up & down, back & forth thing.

I contribute the added days of cloudiness to me doing 1.5-2g water changes

When I left my house at 5am. Tank looked 90% clear. Hopefully this bloom is over.

At any rate, 12 pounds of Caribbean reef rock was ordered from reef cleaners. It should be delivered today. I felt as tho there was not enough rock.

Archived