Innovative Marine Aquariums

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

lol. the fact that I finally have no pest algae to speak of is telling me I've got my nitrates and phosphates down pretty low. I'm probably fine with my current plan, and I don't want to do anything to throw the tank out of balance. I think I just need new tank toys to play with.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
want!

That is too cool but its $225 and it can only clean one side of your aquarium at a time because it cant turn corners... :huh:

Ha ha... John breathes a sigh of relief.

At least for now.....muahahahah

j/k i love john and everything he does at reefcleaners

At least for now.....muahahahah

j/k i love john and everything he does at reefcleaners

+1

His Large Nerite snail picture on his site is "John The rockstar" from the adventures of Kat's Tank Sitter fame. :lol:

27yqzb9.jpg

z79yc.jpg

24qn94y.jpg

Need to take the side pics when it's dark. There's a light source on either side of the tank.

11mgrjm.jpg

28qsrvm.jpg

This branching goni is fluffy!

1816c1.jpg

Candy cane took off since it's humble beginnings

2mcudk3.jpg

210ghi0.jpg

13yqzp.jpg

311w4sw.jpg

1zmou1f.jpg

ev14hz.jpg

2rqmxjq.jpg

6homzs.jpg

fvab5z.jpg

9bawww.jpg

25k6ji1.jpg

fx845z.jpg

15cmxsg.jpg

2l8bz47.jpg

2lag306.jpg

21nnnsx.jpg

e0ht0.jpg

1zv8n07.jpg

2mg81zb.jpg

34fglxk.jpg

dcnrk.jpg

4u6fja.jpg

fxdtfo.jpg

35n63jm.jpg

Looking good Med.. is that strawberry shortcake I spy? Totally jealous of some of your SPS man, the tank is looking great. Nice work!

As always looking good!

The word magnificent just doesn't describe this tank. Well done.

Looking good Med.. is that strawberry shortcake I spy? Totally jealous of some of your SPS man, the tank is looking great. Nice work!

Yes sir, it's growing like crazy. it looks really pretty top down.

OH

MY

GEE

JUST

WOW!!!

Fantastic looking tank!

Thanks everyone. I need to fly Hype out to work his photography magic! I'm very happy with the tank, but I still have a lot of work to do on the sides. I need some non photosynthetic corals to fill in the dark area in the middle of the large right spire. There are lots of little stories to tell all over the tank... including quite a few corals broken by me not paying attention <_<

Deleted User 4

Wowoww, I think my jaws have just dropped for quite some time now, by just looking at those new pics....

Just freaking amazing ;)

Seriously incredible stuff med. Everything looks so healthy...congrats man. Its about time we see this tank on the homepage ;)

Hey med quick question what are you doing for nutrient export?

And what kind of coral is this?

fd8ztf.jpg

Paleoreef103
Seriously incredible stuff med. Everything looks so healthy...congrats man. Its about time we see this tank on the homepage ;)

fd8ztf.jpg

That's a colonial tunicate! It's gorgeous. What are you feeding it?

Seconded on the homepage part! Wonderful job, guy with the creepiest avatar on nano-reef!

Definitely one of the sexiest tanks ever. I could use all day just drooling over your pictures. Well done, Sir, well done.

Simply stunning! :)

Thank you Paigee!

Wowoww, I think my jaws have just dropped for quite some time now, by just looking at those new pics....

Just freaking amazing ;)

Thanks IIX!

fd8ztf.jpg

Thanks Hype. As I always say, I'm just trying to keep up with you. Currently I'm using a skimmer, purigen, and chemipure elite. I change the purigen (not exhausted) and chempipure (probably exhausted) once a month. I do a 5-10 gallon water change every week. I only feed frozen stuff the night before a water change so I don't have anything rotting in the filter sock. I magfloat the glass daily so as much algae ends up in the filter sock as possible to be exported out with the weekly filter sock change (always change the sock before I turn the pump back on after a water change). In the process of cleaning the glass, I get the magfloat below the sand line which kicks up a bunch of junk. I think it helps feed the corals as well as export nutrients through the filter sock. I run my vortechs in nutrient transport mode which seems to constantly pull stuff up from the sand bed.

Paleoreef is right. It's a colonial tunicate. I knew that was going to catch your eye ;-)

That's a colonial tunicate! It's gorgeous. What are you feeding it?

Seconded on the homepage part! Wonderful job, guy with the creepiest avatar on nano-reef!

I'm feeding it phyto and oysterfeast every other day when I feed the tank. I also feed it cyclopeeze and mysis juice once a week. I've only had it for 3 weeks, but looks as good as when I brought it home. I'm hoping I can keep it long term.

I appreciate you guys thinking I'm home page worthy. I'm hoping it will be truly stunning by the end of the year.

Definitely one of the sexiest tanks ever. I could use all day just drooling over your pictures. Well done, Sir, well done.

Thanks TMG. I still need Hype to come visit so I can get some really amazing shots. Here that Hype? Come take pictures of my tank and I'll take you to Disneyland!

Great pictures! What brand epoxy do you use? Your frag placements look very clean. I have a hard time placing frags with epoxy and making it look natural, it always looks like a clump of clay on the bottom.

Great pictures! What brand epoxy do you use? Your frag placements look very clean. I have a hard time placing frags with epoxy and making it look natural, it always looks like a clump of clay on the bottom.

thank you Confuse! I use the StevieT method for gluing frags. I remove my frag plugs though. For things that will encrust, I use only as much epoxy as necessary to hold so that the coral will end up attached to the rock and not just the epoxy.

I started off positioning everything inline with the juts in the rock for a more natural look, but quickly realized a lot of the coral wouldn't receive light and I'd only be taking pictures of the undersides of the coral. I plucked them all off and started attaching the sps more or less perpendicular to the rock. Not as pretty, but the corals grow into it... especially the tablers.

Archived