Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

bluebastion

Looks great Med. I feel you on going back to MH. Even though my current tank started on LED's, I have to say there's a lot to be desired using LED's right now. I'm surprised you weren't even satisfied with Radions (since there's more "full-spectrum") compared to my Vertex Illumina's. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go 2xMH and a chiller... crazy as it sounds.

My former tank had better colors, and less issues.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Send him to me!

And love it with the tint gone, so much cleaner.

I think I do too! One of my local reefer buds is going to take the birdsnests. I'm sad :-(

Looks great Med. I feel you on going back to MH. Even though my current tank started on LED's, I have to say there's a lot to be desired using LED's right now. I'm surprised you weren't even satisfied with Radions (since there's more "full-spectrum") compared to my Vertex Illumina's. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go 2xMH and a chiller... crazy as it sounds.

My former tank had better colors, and less issues.

I feel you. A chiller may be in my future. I'm happy with the new fixture now that I'm no longer grumpy over the loss of features and abundance of complexity.

I went ahead and removed the two birdsnests. They are sitting on the sand bed for now. It definitely opened up a LOT of space. I added 3 new SPS frags today. I now have to figure out what I'm going to do for a few areas that were not accessible before. My BSJ has been VERY industrious lately. I'm glad he hasn't been burying any of my frags. I think the sand messes with his face. The texture is a little wrinkly now. It may be because he hasn't been digging for over a year now so his skin isn't accustomed to it anymore.

Where in Texas? I wish there was a fellow reefer within a 100 miles of me. No one down here has ever heard of a reef tank. My friends take a 5 second look and say, "what, no new fish?" and walk away. Their eyes glaze over when I get excited about nitrates or calcium.

Ha ha. I'm from DFW, but I live in LA now.

Funny, I moved from LA eight years ago to Texas!

So..........have you thought of TOTM? or have you won that already?

Funny, I moved from LA eight years ago to Texas!

So..........have you thought of TOTM? or have you won that already?

I like LA but I miss TX. Hopefully one day I'll be TOTM worthy! Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Awesome tank Med! I love all the pillars and variety of corals and colors.

Thanks Scorched_Ice7. I'm starting to like my tank more and more every day!.

There's probably 6 or 7 tanks on here that are spa dominated or mixed reef that I base a lot of my decisions off of....you see what I'm getting at. Keep it up MR ;)

There's probably 6 or 7 tanks on here that are spa dominated or mixed reef that I base a lot of my decisions off of....you see what I'm getting at. Keep it up MR ;)

Same for me and I bet that most of those have been TOTM already........if you see what I'm getting at.......

restart?

i guess . .

not a hardcore tank.

im just filling it with a few large colony softies and a dwarf angel or two.

i guess . .

not a hardcore tank.

im just filling it with a few large colony softies and a dwarf angel or two.

The public demands SPS!

I say sps they say huh? I say color full sticks they say aquarium decorations? I say coral they say you can do that?!

I saw an article on branching goniopora on reefbuilders http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/02/branching-red-goniopora/

I knew I had to have one. Lucky me, my LFS had just received one and fragged half of it for me. Here it is in my last FTS.

2sado8y.jpg

I just checked it out today, and it is SUPER fluffly... way more volume than in that pic. I moved my Vortechs up so it may be extending more that it's not being blasted with flow. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite corals. I'll take a pic when I get the camera out.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

mantisman379

That geissman gives a whitish nice color hue to the tank. I like it but I'm more of an led guy myself. Anything new going with the tank?

That geissman gives a whitish nice color hue to the tank. I like it but I'm more of an led guy myself. Anything new going with the tank?

I love the color. it's not as white as the Radions on natural mode at certain times of the day. I almost panicked with the first arrangement of T5 bulbs... it was way too white. I really want to add some dimmable blue leds for moonlights and the pop they give. Someone needs to make some before I end up DIYing something.

On an awesome note, the corals are already coloring back up. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing new to report other than that. Need to go to my LFS and find a very special awesome colony for a particular area of the tank.

Archived