ReefCleaners.org

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol it was a good thing you didn't go max, it wasn't that big

Really? MAX was MINI? what was worth seeing there? Did you pick up any good stuff?

Deleted User 4
Really? MAX was MINI? what was worth seeing there? Did you pick up any good stuff?

lol, well I was ready to buy a new firmly built rimless like one like elos or reef savvy, but they didn't have anything close to it, saw cadlights and do aquamedic there but their tanks aren't that great... there were some very nice pieces of corals/frags but some were pretty overpriced, ages of aquariums were there too as well as vortech

• 2 weeks later...

ughh... I just had the most destructive day in my tank. I was hopped up on medication for a cold and was trying to remove any pieces of bubble algae I could find. I was happy to realize I headed off an outbreak, but the remaining areas were all in hard to reach places.

6zy88m.jpg

The corals in red I completely knocked off their mounts. I stuck them back on, but it will be that much longer before they can encrust their rocks.

The Corals in yellow I accidentally broke parts off of. ughhh. I also broke a substantial piece off of the purple monticap I have around the back of the tank. It doesn't look bad, so I'll just donate the "frag"

I moved an echinata I had onto the acan rock. I awoke this morning to a half eaten acan! what a gross mess coral warfare is. So the acan in teal is half gone. I hope it makes it.

On top of all of this self inflicted destruction... my female clown has started chasing the candy basslets. This has only started happening within the past week. WTF? they've been in the tank together for over a year. She doesn't bother the Helfrichi's, gobies, or the BSJ. The Basslets don't seem to bothered by it, but I'm not happy at all. We all know who's getting the boot if it comes down to it.

My guess is its your fault Med...I know it sounds silly but my clowns are fine....but if I #### up like you did knocking #### over my clowns freak out and bite my helfrich lol. Stay outta the tank man for a week and let em get comfy again ;). All looks good though. Sorry don't wanna sound like an ass....I know you know what your doing haha just figured I'd share my clumsy experiences with you ;p

Clownfish in general are comfortable in a tank setting, so any disturbances to their routine and their home will cause erratic responses.

Med, what is the care requirement for Acan echinatas? I have my Jason fox green rim evil eye on a rock towards the bottom of my tank, so it gets low flow and moderate light. Thanks.

Sorry if I missed it but do you have a pair of clowns? If so your female may be getting ready to lay eggs or may have done so already. My female maroon gets more aggressive towards tankmates when she is about to or has just laid a clutch of eggs. She's a saint at all other times.

I can feel your pain on snapping corals off. It happens to me all the time. Wait until you have some 8-9" colonies to work around. It's becoming harder to get at certain areas of my tank without snapping large branches off. You just have to tell yourself it will grow back soon.

LOL, I have 1/100th the coral you have and still manage to knock off frags when I clean.

I hope its OK as I have your tank as my desktop! Way cool.

If the clown went wacko after you messed things up it must be a female. :)

Sorry about what happen Med! If you need an encha acan piece i can frag you somes. lol

I'll take any monti or corals donations. Just started my tank and trying to look for some pieces.

How do you like your Giesemann light? i was thinking about getting the Giesemann spectra or ATI dimmable like Hype. Decision decision.

My guess is its your fault Med...I know it sounds silly but my clowns are fine....but if I #### up like you did knocking #### over my clowns freak out and bite my helfrich lol. Stay outta the tank man for a week and let em get comfy again ;). All looks good though. Sorry don't wanna sound like an ass....I know you know what your doing haha just figured I'd share my clumsy experiences with you ;p

Ha ha... duly noted

Clownfish in general are comfortable in a tank setting, so any disturbances to their routine and their home will cause erratic responses.

Med, what is the care requirement for Acan echinatas? I have my Jason fox green rim evil eye on a rock towards the bottom of my tank, so it gets low flow and moderate light. Thanks.

My echinatas are getting medium flow and low light. Even though they are higher up in the tank, they are in the shadow of the Halide and mostly receive T5 light. They've grown quite a bit since I first bought them. I recently started feeding them again, so hopefully they grow faster.

Sorry if I missed it but do you have a pair of clowns? If so your female may be getting ready to lay eggs or may have done so already. My female maroon gets more aggressive towards tankmates when she is about to or has just laid a clutch of eggs. She's a saint at all other times.

I can feel your pain on snapping corals off. It happens to me all the time. Wait until you have some 8-9" colonies to work around. It's becoming harder to get at certain areas of my tank without snapping large branches off. You just have to tell yourself it will grow back soon.

I do have a pair. Maybe they are getting ready to spawn. She's been fine forever

LOL, I have 1/100th the coral you have and still manage to knock off frags when I clean.

I hope its OK as I have your tank as my desktop! Way cool.

If the clown went wacko after you messed things up it must be a female. :)

Sprofucci, I am honored that you have my tank as your desktop! It's definitely not worthy! I've never had issues knocking things over before. I really just had a bad day in the tank. I was too clumsy and careless. I noticed the clown was chasing the basslets before I knocked everything off. I hope it's just breeding behavior. The basslets are way faster than she is and are used to darting about. She doesn't get close enough to bite them, but I don't want them stressed out over it.

Sorry about what happen Med! If you need an encha acan piece i can frag you somes. lol

I'll take any monti or corals donations. Just started my tank and trying to look for some pieces.

How do you like your Giesemann light? i was thinking about getting the Giesemann spectra or ATI dimmable like Hype. Decision decision.

The echinata is ok, the acan lord is half gone. I really like the Giesemann. I'm a huge fan of the way Metal Halide looks. I think it is possible to dim the T5's on the fixture I have, I need to check into that.

Haha your short response has made me feel like a Debbie boner..my bad haha

You mean Debbie downer. :lol:

Oh snap

LMAO!!! I am entertained!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry Hype, I've been so busy. Thanks for checking in!

Mostly good things have been happening:

Algae: I'm happy to report I have ZERO pest algae in the tank at this point. I haven't spotted a single bubble in a couple of weeks. My red turf algae no longer needs to be managed by urchins, it's gone. I've had the urchins quarantined for the past 3 weeks in case I needed to use them again, but so far, so good. With zero spottings of Asterinas and no urchins, I now am seeing some coralline growth. If I can get my rocks purple, it will be a happy day.

Fish: My female clown is still chasing the candies, but the candies to seem to be to concerned over it. I witnessed spawning behavior again the other night, but didn't stick around to see if they actually spawned like before. I would like to add one more fish, but I have no idea what. I want something around 3" or less, peaceful, and colorful.

Corals: I've been moving corals around to better fit the scape or get them into areas they like better. I need to pick up a few more dendros. I'd also like to pick up appropriately sized chili and carrot corals. I messed up the tips of my Gorgonians after the dinoflagellate outbreak. I took them out and gave them a FW and peroxide dip to remove the last of the dinos. I'd done this before with great success, but this time I left them in way too long. I lost the tips of both my yellow and red gorgonians in the process, but the rest of their bodies are fine. Lesson learned.

Lighting: Still loving the lights, they are bringing out the colors of the corals more and more. Heat hasn't been an issue yet, but I have to keep my place at 70 degrees to continue using the glass top. I may make a screen for summer use to help keep the heat down. I'm still missing the blue LED's and still looking for a dimmable moonlight solution. I think something in the MH affects my tank differently than the LED's. My BSJ is at home living in the rocks instead of free swimming, but he sticks to the shadows. He will expose his entire body all day long, as long as it isn't in the light. Also, my dendros close up or are partially open during the hours my MH is running. They didn't do this under LEDs, they were open all day and really open at night.

The mishap: Last weekend I did a water change and filled up my ATO bucket. Somehow the tubing from my ATO was pushed down into the water in the sump and I'm guessing through osmosis, ended up dumping around 2 gallons of RO water into the sump before I noticed. The corals looked ok, but it did stress out my new tunicate. I just let the water evaporate throughout the week and performed a regular water change this week. All seems well.

The conundrum: I'm seriously thinking of adding a couple of reactors for GAC and GFO. I currently run Purigen and Chemipure Elite in the filter sock. I'm changing this media so often that other than the cost of the reactors, the media would cost me less in the long run... although I still may use purigen. I'm worried about throwing the tank off balance or making it too clean. I wouldn't want my NPS and filter feeders to suffer from a reduction in the foods they eat stemming from a reduction in nutrients. I'm waiting on this as don't want to inhibit my new coralline growth and I'm assuming that having a coralline will further drive down available nutrients.

Lastly, I'm still debating getting a chiller and a controller.

I need to get out the camera and take some pictures, I know. Currently, I'm super happy with the tank and I'm very happy I made the change in lighting.

d'Espresso

hey buddy! how well do you like your urchin and what type did you get? i am planning to get one that Hype recommend one but wasn't sure. i need it to take care my GHA problems.

definitely need a new update FTS soon! can't wait to see it..

cheers,

david

hey buddy! how well do you like your urchin and what type did you get? i am planning to get one that Hype recommend one but wasn't sure. i need it to take care my GHA problems.

definitely need a new update FTS soon! can't wait to see it..

cheers,

david

Thanks, D! I have 2 Red Tuxedo Urchins and 1 Blue Tuxedo. I don't know how they'll do with hair algae but they kept my red turf algae mowed down very well.

Im glad to hear everything is on the up and up. Look forward to some pics

Aren't you about due for a FTS?

I put one up a few weeks ago. you havent checked in recently ;)

I've been reading, I just haven't posted. There's no way I'm not going to pop in and look at your thread. I was looking for one since you removed the monticap.

I've been reading, I just haven't posted. There's no way I'm not going to pop in and look at your thread. I was looking for one since you removed the monticap.

Oh ok well im planning to have my next update a video one im just planning on adding another frag or two before i shoot it.

Oh ok well im planning to have my next update a video one im just planning on adding another frag or two before i shoot it.

Ok... that's worth waiting for! :P

Holy update! But I'm glad everything sounds well. Can't wait to see what addition you think of to complete the fishy family. A Pygmy wrasse of some sort perhaps?

More pics too please :D

Archived