Coral Vue Hydros

UWWMatt's 25G CADlight

uwwmatt

saltwatercoral

I hope to have a tank that looks as good as yours one day!!! :D I am just now getting some supplies for my tank. I hope to have it started by the end of the month. How does my setup sound UWWMatt? I like to ask the ones that know!

I currently have the new 45 gallon Marineland Cube tank (24x24x18) with the stand. This Saturday I am going to That Fish Place in PA to get the Following:

1- Eshopps RS-100 Reef Sump - 75 to 125 gallons

1- Reef Octopus NWB-110 Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer

2- Marineland Reef Capable LED Lighting System 24 - 36

1- LED Stunner Strip

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope to have a tank that looks as good as yours one day!!! :D I am just now getting some supplies for my tank. I hope to have it started by the end of the month. How does my setup sound UWWMatt? I like to ask the ones that know!

I currently have the new 45 gallon Marineland Cube tank (24x24x18) with the stand. This Saturday I am going to That Fish Place in PA to get the Following:

1- Eshopps RS-100 Reef Sump - 75 to 125 gallons

1- Reef Octopus NWB-110 Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer

2- Marineland Reef Capable LED Lighting System 24 - 36

1- LED Stunner Strip

I like the dimensions of that tank. I am sure it will look pretty sweet once you get it stocked. I have never used any of that equipment you posted, but it looks like you have a good idea of the tools necessary to get your reef up and running.

You may want to check with Evilc66, he is sort of the resident LED expert on here, to make sure those LED lights will be strong enough, and have the right kind of reflectors to adequately light a tank with your dimensions.

Link to his profile http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showuser=30696

You may also want to consider investing in a controller. I use the reefkeeper lite from Digital Aquatics. It has its issues, but overall it is a good product and cheaper than the competition. If money is not an issue check out the Neptune Apex controller.

Do you have a plan for an RO/DI system?

Yes Im def getting a RO/DI unit. I am also thinking about getting a UV sterolizer as well.

I am a bit leery of UV sterilizer on a marine tank as they kill everything, good and bad, in the water column.

saltwatercoral

Thats what iv have been hearing... I think I am going to try without the UV Sterolizer for now... Keep up the great work and keep the Pics coming on your tank!!!

I am thinking about picking up one of these electronic timers as a fail-safe for the ATO I am getting ready to put together. I had wanted to go with one of those mechanical timers, but the ones I am finding are super blocky and take up to much space on my power strip. They also don't seem to allow for smaller blocks of time like 15minutes.

For $25 this gives me 2 separately controllable outlets with four on/off setting per day, plus a manual override on/off button, and leaves my powerstrip free of clutter.

http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-HB800RCH-...753&sr=1-14

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

can i ask how much you paid for the two that you have in your sad bed, I just won one in an ebay auction for $65 including shipping hoping it arrives ok and that it was a reasonable price.

Sounds like a good price depending on the size. For size reference the skeleton on the purple and green brain is larger than a CD, when it is fully expanded it is massive. I have had that for over a year.

IMG_1164.jpg

These are the prices I paid for my coral. Many, like the frogspawn and hammer, have been growing for several years.

Just wanted to say awesome tank it has to be one of the best looking that I have seen . I was curious what sort of maintence schedule you follow as far as water changes and dosing ? Do you run a skimmer ?

squirrelieygrrrl

lol.

that looks alot like my price list for livestock. gotta love cheap frags. my lfs has a $15 shelf, so 90% of whats in my 16 is from there.

Just wanted to say awesome tank it has to be one of the best looking that I have seen . I was curious what sort of maintence schedule you follow as far as water changes and dosing ? Do you run a skimmer ?

Thanks, I try to do 5G water changes weekly. Probably more like every 10 days in reality. I have a two part solution for calcium supplementing that I dose 2x per week. No set schedule. I recently picked up a tunze 9002 skimmer, but haven't really used it lately.

lol.

that looks alot like my price list for livestock. gotta love cheap frags. my lfs has a $15 shelf, so 90% of whats in my 16 is from there.

That's the way to go. I prefer the cheap and easy corals.

While I was figuring out my electricity issue I sort of let things get messy.

before.jpgbefore2.jpg

So today I did a little spring cleaning:

after3.jpgafter5.jpg

after2.jpg

Re-purposed some old dosing cups

after4.jpg

I also finally got around to setting up my ATO. Tsunami ATO with Aqualifter, and digital backup failsafe timer.

ATO3.jpg

ATO1.jpg

My march photo contest submission:

IMG_1858.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi

Exposure: 2

Aperture: f/5.6

Focal Length: 55 mm

ISO Speed: 100

FTS actinics

IMG_18831.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

champ tank is champ material.

Seriously did not know such a good looking reef existed here on NR (but i had my suspicions lol)

I wish i had this in my house, or at least could look at this in real life, it must be infinitely interesting to watch :) Thanks for some more inspiration scape-wise, your scape works very well. did you plan it all out and the coral placement before it got started? I am going to study this tank carefully to see what kind of coral looks good in which spot in the tank :P

Did you start all these corals from tiny frags, or did you buy already large and impressive colonies that we see in these pictures?

champ tank is champ material.

Seriously did not know such a good looking reef existed here on NR (but i had my suspicions lol)

I wish i had this in my house, or at least could look at this in real life, it must be infinitely interesting to watch :) Thanks for some more inspiration scape-wise, your scape works very well. did you plan it all out and the coral placement before it got started? I am going to study this tank carefully to see what kind of coral looks good in which spot in the tank :P

Did you start all these corals from tiny frags, or did you buy already large and impressive colonies that we see in these pictures?

Thanks Newman,

Almost all of these corals were transferred from my old 25G tank (check the link out in my signature), and many of those came from my 14G Biocube before that. Since things have grown out so much I usually have to redo my aquascaping every time I have a new addition. The majority of my corals came from small frags. The button coral was basically dead when I got it, the devils hand was about the size of a quarter, the hammer was only one head, and the frogspawn was about 3 heads. Most of my candy canes were 1 or 2 heads when I got them also.

I do not really plan out the coral placement before hand. I sort of just move things around until I like what it looks like. My options are a bit limited as I have to keep the frogspawn and hammer away from everything else to avoid warfare.

thats great about starting with small coral frags, and still planning or not this thing is pro. could you tutor me in how to make a proper reef scape :lol: ?

• 2 weeks later...
I am planning on finally putting together my ATO. I picked up a pretty nice 5.3G tall square bucket for the reservoir. I think it will look much nicer than the standard round one I used last time.

IMG_0361.jpg

I also picked up a couple new square 5G jugs for RO/DI water. I was tired of using the standard round 5g water jugs that are hard to store. These are sturdy and stackable and fit in my closet. I live in a one bedroom so space comes at a premium.

IMG_0360.jpg

Matt,

Where did you get the square 5 gal jugs? I'm sick of hauling 5 gal buckets to and from the LFS.

Have you considered creating/purchasing a wood furniture box that would match your stand to put your ATO bucket in? A bucket sitting on the ground just detracts from the beautiful aquarium you've created.

Matt,

Where did you get the square 5 gal jugs? I'm sick of hauling 5 gal buckets to and from the LFS.

I got them from U.S. Plastics

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23848

They have a ton of inventory and don't require a minimum. My only caution with these square ones like I purchased is it is difficult to completely empty these things. There always remains like a cup of water that gets stuck in the upper part when you tip it to pour water out. This isn't an issue if you keep them filled, but if you leave it empty for a long period of time with that little bit of water inside it might get nasty.

Have you considered creating/purchasing a wood furniture box that would match your stand to put your ATO bucket in? A bucket sitting on the ground just detracts from the beautiful aquarium you've created.

Hey Yeast,

I have thought about it, but I feel like that would make it too bulky. I currently have it arranged so that a small chair sort of angles up to that side of the tank and hides the bucket. Its not ideal, but it works okay. I will take a picture when I get home later so you can see what I am talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived