SaltCritters.com

ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Aquanist

Turns out the new must-have pieces were 2 Tunze 6105 streams. Man those bad boys move some serious water. I replaced 2 tunze 6055 and one 6100 with them and ended up having to dial them down a bit as I initially ended up with a sandstorm.

Now it's wait and see how the sand settles in the days to come. Had to arrange a couple of corals to better suite the new flow patterns and to keep one from getting drowned in sand.

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Turns out the new must-have pieces were 2 Tunze 6105 streams. Man those bad boys move some serious water. I replaced 2 tunze 6055 and one 6100 with them and ended up having to dial them down a bit as I initially ended up with a sandstorm.

Now it's wait and see how the sand settles in the days to come. Had to arrange a couple of corals to better suite the new flow patterns and to keep one from getting drowned in sand.

Solid investment.

• 2 weeks later...

Nah. You're forgetting the 3400lph from my Eheim 1262.

Still not 30K though. :unsure: Maybe one koralia nano into overflow? :naughtydance:

Hard to tell, my good sir. It's pretty much a tie between being utterly delighted and overly joyed. Plus it gets the job done. :lol:

So today it happened. :angry:

My beautiful Amblygobius phalaena went carpet surfing. Not that I would have carpet, but you get the general idea behind this useless banter.

For a few months now I've been counting days until this, as the poor bugger really liked his jumps. I mean it leaped to and fro the overflow 5-10 times a day every time banging itself to my light fixture. Oddly enough I never noticed any wounds on it as it really made a serious bang every time. And today I wound it in the hallway 5m from the tank as I got home. :tears:

Then again, now my tank is already noticeably clearer as there's nothing shifting my sandbed into the streams clouding the tank like a snowglobe!

And luckily my supplier is on a trip to this one europeanwide wholesalerright now so I could sneak in my order for replacement.. Should be here on tuesday.. Wholesaler stocklist showed 2pcs, so I hope I get what I ordered. fingerscrossed

If I may make a suggestion... A Tunze Nano (yes I said Nano) wave maker box may do you better than the streams you have now in terms of height of wave as well as power consumption.

I recently did some research on the subject as I am standing up a 120 gallon (452 liter) tank shortly. Based on past experience with the nano-wave box and the Vortech units in a 60 gallon (226 liter), conversations with the USA Tunze rep among others, and actual testing of both at a local LFS I have found that in the tank size you have you can get a wave motion that comes in at close to 2+ inches (5+ cm) with a wave box using substantially less wattage than with the streams.

I have also found that while gross volume of flow does come into play SPS/LPS/et al. actually show more health (polyp extension etc) and growth when a wave motion is in the tank than being blasted by a laminar or turbulent only.

My hypothesis is that because of the dynamics of the motion of the wave is optimal in its delivery of nutrients/O2 as well as the removal of detritus and provides a surge effect that isn't as irritating and overall forceful as a focused laminar flow (yes I know that a wave is a laminar flow) or even a focused laminar flow that is broken up by random turbulence.

Thank you Urchinhead for commenting! And thank you Dotc0m! :D

The nano wavebox is a sound idea, which I might try at some point. I curently only have 2 Tunze 6105 streams in the tank so I no longer have that wave function in use. Instead I have them "crossfiring" in alternate 2,5s pulse mode. This in my experience both moves enough water while still adding confused turbulence in the tank for optimum (close enough at least) nutrient export.

As for the wavebox I know this Finnish guy whose 4000l (roughly 1000gal) tank only has 2 tunze 6200 streams and basic Tunze wavebox. There was a gentle 1 inch wave going in the tank and all the corals swayed away happily. It's all about the right resonance frequency for the tank length.

As for currents and corals I've found that even LPS corals can take a real pounding as long as the current isn't laminar. As for smaller tanks I think it's more of a challenge to divert the streams so as there's loads of flow while it isn't blasting directly on anything. And for wave being laminar flow I'm not quite there with you. While in ocean and natural reef formation the currents and waves can occasionally (or usually) only be going to one direction, aquarium is a whole different case. Wavebox pulse is a relatively small amount of water actually moving anywhere but more an oscillating standing wave with constant backwash. With my Tunze 6100 sen as a "waver" and while other circulation was turned off the water only moved throughout the tank back and forth about +/- 2cm. So while wavebox does add movement it doesn't do anything for circulation (IMO).

And now for pictures!

My lfs got some new stuff in this week and I wenk in today to have a look around. Should have left my wallet home! Nah, should have not gone as they know me well enough to let me buy stuff now and pay next time. :blush:

So I got me one nice young yellow Atrosalarias fuscus I had ordered before and some corals, mainly small ones as I do have some other expenses as well. Wive's are high maintenance! ;)

c53928c1.jpg

06534479.jpg

935c4b5b.jpg

0a7e6bac.jpg

54f7b7ee.jpg

f7f27789.jpg

102bbadc.jpg

That's an aussie Acropora echinata. Pic taken like 15mins after the acclimation so that's why there's no visible polyp extension. It seems to be doing great in my tank.

I simply love this tank. I keep coming back to it again and again. I love all of the open sandbed space. So many people's tanks are just crowded looking. You managed to fit a whole lot of wildlife on two islands and still make it look natural. Keep up the good work!

Thank you! You pretty much stated what I was aiming for with this. I'm glad that my visions of how this tank might/should look comes across to the general audience. Then again I do have the size playing in my pocket as this really doesn't qualify as a nano tank. I'll try to make amends on that with my Project Lazarus in a whole different scale. Here is so many great and inspirational nano tanks to suck influences from I just don't really know what I want to do with it yet.

And having 5 weeks off from work having quality time with my son actually gives me WAY too much time to fiddle around this tank. So in a week or so I'll be adding some brute motor power to this tank. There will be Eheim 1046 and 1048 pumps and 2 reactors (Aqua Medic Carbolit and Two Little Fishies PhosBan)... So maybe I'll finally showcase my sump area as well.. It's been 6months from the last look so..

That's Acropora youngei aka. Bali Green Slimer.

It has a phenomenal growth rate and it's among the easiest SPS to keep (medium to high flow and medium to hight light). Plus it's really bright colored! Mine has grown from a couple of small "match sticks" to this in just under 18 months and I've fragged it down a LOT! And I'm not talking about any Mr.Coral sized tinyass fraglets. :lol:

Archived