Innovative Marine Aquariums

Newman's 10 Gallon Piece of Ocean

.Newman.

Sounds like some progress on your end tho :)

Some sunlight was shining into the tank today and these pictures show the type of light I'm after. it really looks so much better in person, but if I can find some light that can replicate this, I will be set, and i'd use it for just about every marine tank I'd build in the future.

some pics:

Left side of tank with sunlight

DSCN2502.jpg

Rhodactis, xenia, angry ric under sun

DSCN2503.jpg

Torch and zoa, play, shroom other stuff

DSCN2504.jpg

Green birdsnest w/ hammer, normal GSP in background(not in sunlight)

DSCN2505.jpg

Torch in sun(and his mini coco worm and vermetid snail buddies)

DSCN2508.jpg

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

terrible news... one of my scallops, the one I took the pics of, perished today for an unknown reason. this morning it wasnt looking well (being only half way open w/o its mantle and tentacles sticking out) and when i returned from school this evening it was already dead, halfway open with mantle fully retracted.

I opened it up after i was sure it was gone, and found two of my fireworms already eating its remains...likely the scallop died first and then they moved in. good sanitarians, the scallop wasnt even smelling bad yet and they were almost half way done already leving nothing but shell behind =/

Kinda devastated, wanted for this scallop thing to work out but I guess not. just got one left now. it seems to be doing well still.

I know the cause of death cannot be starvation because the scallops are getting plenty of food (when they're open you can see their clear gut and its always been loaded with dark food matter leading all the way up to the anus where its eliminated). I'm still wondering if it is the warmer temp that this scallop was unable to take. but he was perfectly fine for about a week with it, always open, happy...the other ones still going...I'm still baffled at what it could be =/

wow everything is growing FAST.. thats awesome dude, amazing tank.. I can't decide between this one and your pico now.. i think im leaning towards this one.. not sure!

hey Wil, thanks for stopping by. I think this one is too cluttered right now, and i have a soft spot for my pico, so i think you know which is my favorite of the two :P

Still its such a shame that my first scallop died...really was looking forward to them both spawning in my tank.

Clowns are alive and well, so is the peppermint shrimp in the fuge. you think things are growing? aside from some of the SPS, I really cannot tell the difference from last month's pictures :lol:

yea definitely... from 2 months ago vs a month ago it seemed like double.. this time u see less of the rock and a lot more color of the corals. i love the setup

Sorry to hear about the scallop. They are tough

Hi AM! Thank you for the link, I posted the FTS.

I thought these scallops are supposed to be tough as in hardy, they are from the Atlantic and gulf waters, they eat detritis for crying outloud and I still manage to kill one -_-

And thanks Wil :)

Ok i did a very big rescape, had to move rocks and corals into a bucket then back for this one. I looks more interesting now.

Did not get stung by the fireworms. Though I need to figure out how to get to my back wall and clean all the crap off of its. its full of coralline, algae, and those white worm tubes. Mag float cant get over there because the AC100 is blocking the other side...cant move that because rockwork is leaning on the intake tube. I have to make some sort of scrubber on a handle type of hing for this. Need my background looking clean :)

Will post pics when the water is all clear tomorrow.

Here is the new year's scape for this tank:

DSCN2534.jpg

DSCN2535.jpg

got the background a little bit with my toothbush (the one i use for cleaning my pico and this tank lol,)

You can even see the scallop well in these pics.

This is going to be the scape i'll be running for the second half of AM's contest :)

whaaaaaaaaaattt!! Looks sick! Dude that looks really good. how'd u move everything without... -- ok i guess the real question is how long did it take you to do that?

Thanks Wil and JBM, will do :)

Like I said I had to move some rock and coral frags into my 5 gal bucket and then back.

It took me a long time, maybe 2 hours. I already knew the scape I wanted to go after, I had to just figure out which of my rocks went where, you know? Then I had to figure out how to not smash all my coral frags while moving everything around.

Thanks AM...but

unfortunately the last scallop died today. it was not looking good this morning and by the time i returned from work this night, it's shell was already open and cleaned out. fireworms work fast...

• 3 weeks later...

Been ok. starting to get busy with college again. On this tank i think an update FTS might be posted at the end of the month as always.

corals growing ok.

• 2 weeks later...

about that... 0_0

Here is the updated FTS as of today. I fragged that top left monti cap and the green birdsnest so they are not happy atm, but things are alive and well. The frags went onto a rock in my pico.

DSCN2668.jpg

Archived