Coral Vue Hydros

Newman's 10 Gallon Piece of Ocean

.Newman.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so after that pic was taken, my new bulbs arrived. both were 10,000K. One was UVL Aquasun the other was Ice Cap 10,000K something. and the worst part so far is that my tank is now pink lol. I was expecting white light and got crazy pink. so much for recreating shallow water conditions :lol:

I wish i did not pack so many different types of corals together in 10 gals; in the wild they would not be this compacted in one area, but thanks! It means a lot to me to hear someone say that about this nano.

other than not being native corals to my state, it looks like you cut a chunk of reef and put it in the tank. you would be surprised how packed in corals get in the wild, at least where i live.

I am going to enter one of these pics into the "polyp extension" photo contest this month. wish me luck :)

I have a few frags in this tank that i have made in the past months. The ones i have here are

Hollywood stunner chalice

Orange-red montipora cap

green finger leather

GSP

The monti cap and GSP were made today so it will take a little time for them to be ready.

If anyone wants any of these, just let me know.

In other news i put in 2 female porcelain crabs to complete the tank's stocking list. Also my feather duster is still alive despite going into hiding for a few weeks and shedding its crown. i notices it has regrown a small new crown but this time its much more vivid green. too bad its afraid to come out of its tube lol, a few large sized amphipods have made the top of the tube their home, and refuse to come out to let the worm through. Dont know how it will work out but i hope he pushes them out soon so that he can eat again.

what is the routine/maintenance on a ten, compared to the pico? im toying with the idea of building a 10, and just want to know how much more i will have to do for a larger system.

This tank gets the same weekly water change as the pico (though this one gets only 1 gallon compared to the pico's 2 gals). However the 1 gal is very important each week as opposed to the pico which can probably be fine if i skipped a week and did 2 gals every other week.

During the water change each week i use the old water to rinse out the chemi pure bag and the macroalgaes in the AC110 fuge. It is important to keep them clean of debris and micro algae. I do the same each week in the pico during the water change.

I clean the front glass with the algae magnet every few days. same in the pico.

The fish are fed 3 days a week. during a feeding day i feed multiple times throughout the day to saturation. During this feeding all the other inhabitants take the food as well. I may start to feed a little bit of Zooplan to this tank once a week to compensate for the large demand from my filter feeding animals. OR i might feed a tiny amount of Zooplan every day i feed the clowns.

In the pico I feed the whole tank one day a week with Zooplan and frozen cyclops. I also feed the shrimp and some of the bigger corals once every day with mysis. I do the weekly water change the day after the weekly feeding of the whole tank.

I change and refill the ATO reservoir vessel every 2 weeks or so. its a 1 gal water jug for both the pico and this tank.

This is optional but I also dose both tanks with C Balance 3 days a week. I use a very small amount of both part A and part B. i might extend the dosing to 1 day a week partly because i do not think the tanks need that much support lol. I also dose a few mL of seachem Reef Plus (amino acid/vitamin additive) once every few months.

Overall i do not think it is much more work. it is just like starting another pico

Archived