Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Newman's 10 Gallon Piece of Ocean

.Newman.

haha, this tank is a long way from competing with the others on this site :P But maybe the MH will help it reach closer to the TOTM.

The T5 light will get stored; it was a great light for FW planted, so it will come in handy in the far future if I ever decide to build a planted 10 again. Though on the other hand i do have thoughts about selling it...but that may be too much hassle :P

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last update on some livestock before i make some upgrades (the powerhead and lighting).

Lets start this one off with some out of focus clowns:

DSCN3063.jpg

My Clam is doing ok, it has a white outline on the shell edge, so this means its in fair health. Though the MH upgrade should help greatly with this.

DSCN3072.jpg

Flash shows the green iridescence a little more:

DSCN3049.jpg

Best Macro I can get with this camera:

RSCN3073.jpg

The pale Green Feather Duster:

DSCN3053.jpg

One of the porcelains:

DSCN3038.jpg

Peppermint Shrimp who is behaving well(he has been with me for over a year now):

DSCN3037.jpg

And finally some coral located on the top left of my tank:

DSCN3060.jpg

I can't wait to get the Koralia nano powerhead later this week and next week the MH fixture arrives :D

Dude, this tank is really nice! The most recent FTS you have of your tank, the one where it doesn't look so brown makes your tank look amazing!

Can't believe this is all in a 10G! Great job!

Thanks Zero and AM! i too thought the 10,000Ks i got were too pink (or brown) so i added the ATI Blue+ bulb back on to make some blue. The porcelains are really nice :)

MH lighting arrived today, a few days early. a pain to setup with the mounting legs, but i think i got it (had to do some leg cutting).

Light looks interesting, though it doesnt even look much brighter to the eye than my T5 did. it definitely gets as hot as my PC fixture does (a fixture i used on my picotope before), but the chiller will help.

My favorite part about the light is how it turns on. it starts with a faint white light, then simulates sunrise, finally gets blue, then gets brighter and more white. MH is pretty crazy.

Bulb is a 20,000K stock one that comes with the fishneedit fixture. i chose it because i heard that after it burns for a few weeks, it becomes a crisp white, so i am waiting for that to happen.

I'll post some pictures after animals have been acclimated to the light. I moved some corals around to make room for my clam (I placed it higher on the rocks).

What...no more disco pink? :lol: I'm interested to see how it looks, 'though I'm surprised you are sticking with a 20000K bulb when you want a crisp white. I hope you like how it turns out. fingerscrossed

haha, disco pink got boring fast :P

the 20,000K is just a stock preference. i'll be getting a whiter replacement bulb later ;)

Though even this bulb is supposed to get whiter after a while.

I'll be uploading some early pictures soon.

When the corals have had major time to grow under the MHs, then i expect the pictures will get more interesting :)

New FTS:

DSCN3091.jpg

Some more pics:

DSCN3093.jpg

DSCN3090.jpg

DSCN3094.jpg

And the first vid of this tank. Its very short but shows things well (as well as my camera can show via video lol.) Click on full screen and then escape back to normal view to get the audio working. or you can continue to watch in fullscreen, its up to you.

man i just read this whole thread and you have came a long way man.....this tank looks amazing

i hope my 29 looks this good when i set it up lol.....

my green star polyps wont come out like that. :-(

Do you have any fish in your tank? i think there is a pattern of polyp extension in GSP and fish presence in the tank. that and lighting. its its too bright, the polyps might be way shorter than this.

@Jspires688: thanks, I'll check how that looks with my tank. Its likely that i will go with it.

Right now the stock bulb is just great, there is virtually no difference between this bulb and the ATI Blue+ & 10,000K T5 Bulb combo. they both produce the same light blue tint seen in the photos. The MH bulb starts out real purple like a 20,000K i imagine, but in a few minutes it becomes totally light blue. I like it a lot, mostly because i am not a fan of dark purple tanks.

@bsdryder7: Thanks! I am sure your tank will turn out way better :), I'll check out how your tank is doing right now.

Thank you Seabass.

maxima clam was looking awful today, so i moved it back down to the sand. maybe its too much light up on that rock for it? we'll see what tomorrow brings. i really hope it does better.

it was opening but barely extending its mantle which is a sign that it would likely start gaping soon. some parts of the mantle were also not lying close to the inside of the shell (though i realize the flow was fairly strong up on those rocks). when i moved it down it opened its in-current siphon very wide which is also not a good sign >_< Its just a whole mess right now.

my maxima died last night >_<

These are way more sensitive than i thought. nothing in the tank appeared to be wrong, all corals and sponges are fine. even the sps started to grow really well in the last few days since i've added the MH. clam looked better too, but yesterday it randomly started looking like garbage and overnight it started to gape and died. I'm not attempting another demanding clam like maxima and crocea again(maybe in the far future when i have a much bigger reef). I might get something less demanding like a derasa for my 3 gal thoug

everything was normal parameter wise. 0 everything, good calcium, mag, and alk, and w/e else you can think of. so random :'( It perished so darn fast too, less than 1 day. something must have gone wrong really fast and very close to the clam because everything else was unaffected. no more clams in here until the future derasa outgrows the 3 gal pico.

on a happier note the SPS have shown drastic growth since the MH addition and all of my monti caps that i thought died last month are recoloring back up and are growing fast again! :)

Archived