Coral Vue Hydros

Newman's 10 Gallon Piece of Ocean

.Newman.

its on this site and AM happens to be hosting it. the contest is ending very soon unfortunately. I personally think that it should have been at least one year to see the skill of different reefers and their approach. would have been even more fun if it was longer than a year.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
animalmaster6
its on this site and AM happens to be hosting it. the contest is ending very soon unfortunately. I personally think that it should have been at least one year to see the skill of different reefers and their approach. would have been even more gun if it was longer than a year.

It's still in the planning stage but there will be a part 2 for the contest. Anybody who wants to stay in can. There will be prizes at the end of the original date and people will be crowned winners but we'll see if things change if I add a couple more months with new prizes.

thanks micro! I am finally seeing less cyano on the rocks. will be clearer in the next FTS as to what I'm talking about.

Wil - I'm using a 50W one right now. I think a 100W can fit in it though, if you want to take up most of the AC110 lol. Same design that you see on el fab's guide to the AC refugium.

• 2 weeks later...

woooooooooowwww -- is it just me or did everything double in size? my wife is asking me why our 10g doesnt' look like that.. I told her ur 'cheating' and then mumbled some mumbo jumbo

it actually migrated into my fuge now lol. better in the fuge than on my display rock. though it still needs to get the heck off my sand >:(

WTF the dKH in this tank is only 7-8dKH! I expected it to be more since not only do I dose this tank, I also only change out one gallon weekly? I dose the same amount in my 3 gal and the dKH there is 12-13dKH! is it really all the SPS that I have in this tank thats eating all the minerals that much faster here? cuz I only have one very slow growing SPS in the 3 gal, but tons of growing snails and coralline algae. this 10 gal has lots of snail too though.

Can anyone throw out a guess as to why I'm seeing less of an impact of my dosing on this bigger tank with less water changes than my smaller tank with 90% water changes each week? could it really be the SPS that are behind this?

Just to clarify I am not saying that 7-8dKH is too low for me. i think thats acceptable for a tank IMO, just seems a bit odd.

• 2 weeks later...

hey,

i just got some chaeto -- and just put it in my 10g. I've been reading people saying that you need 6700k light for its growth.. I figured the 10000k screw in I got is enough, but I read other threads where people say if its higher its not good for the chaeto? Whats your thoughts on this?

10,000K is fine. its on the high range of its spectrum. it will still grow.

Ok got some news. Today I got the chance to take some stuff from my bio of inverts course (their SW tanks) home to my tanks. I chose to take some red bearded sponge (that I gathered at Belmar, NJ), some green ulva lettuce macroalgae and some unknown red ulva-like macro(looks like dragons breath). Also I planned on not taking them, but I did take a pair of Atlantic Bay Scallops (Argopecten irradians) after all. Idk how they'll do but they are awesome. I will probably start spot feeding them once a week with some of my zooplan powder. If they live, since they are hemaphrodites they may eventually spawn in my tank.

DOH! that's what i get for taking stuff from a general wild livestock tank - a HH crab >_< If he is a baby green crab like I think he is, my entire tank is doomed.

how i the world I'll get him out idk, he's very small. I need to somehow devise a trap.

I dont know how i have missed this entire thread but this tank looks awesome. I guess i was just watching your 3 gal and totally missed this. nice work.

thanks picodope lol. This is my stab at the larger than pico world of reefs.

Wil, the issue with most crabs like the green crab is that they are extremely good at what they do - surviving and growing by eating everything within reach.

I may have overreacted a little bit, I just caught the little guy with my hand a few min ago and placed him in a 32oz deli container. made a habitat for him in that container. I want to see what he'll grow into. I left my trap in the tank tho in case i have any more of these little crabs or just for the hell of seeing what I can catch in my tank lol. probably nothing more than polychaetes as i expect.

The scallops are neat! Six months ago I purchase 6 virginia cherry stone clams from the local seafood store and threw them into my jelly tank. All six are still alive and thriving. Fun!

Tank looks great BTW.

hey newman, did you follow a specific example of the ac110 mod? there's a few here all very similar, just curious which one u went with-- unless u did ur own thing?

no as i said before I made it after the El Fab model. its in the pico section, in his stickied guide on picos.

thanks rock, I hope they survive in my tank. same with the red bearded sponge.

just realized u messaged back.. my bad.. .20 is going.. slow... its weird...the clowns seemed fine in the 10.. i put them in the 20, and then i felt like the 10 was waay to small for them and that ive already overstocked in the 20...

the only thing holding me back right now is the lighting.. still doing my research.. tough decision for a tight budget!

annnnd i just got an ac110.. gonna figure out how wide i want my baffled section to be and start on it..

Archived