SaltCritters.com

Newman's 10 Gallon Piece of Ocean

.Newman.

bad, but i dont really want to lose him....the fuge is uncovered, unlike the main display.

The torch is really bright color (im sure that'll change with my lighting ) so it was either the shrimp with no torch, or the torch with no shrimp in display...I hope that one day, when the torch grows big and strong, I could release the shrimp back and it would no longer be able to just eat the hammer like that. but idk if the shrimp's tastes change with time :P

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ordered a JBJ picotope 9W light. should arrive someday soon. chaeto is alive for now, probably getting by on sunlight from the window.

Attached is a pic of the torch in this tank.

FTS will come towards the end of the month, when the contest FTS will be required.

Not much going on, cyano still present...kinda overwhelming the montiporas a bit, but corals look alive. clowns are alive, pep shrimp is doing fine in the refugium.

my acan tried to eat one of my cerith snails...didnt even expect that it would be possible, so I pulled the snail shell out of the polyp... I think the snil is either very retracted or the coral already digested the insides...But i figured the snail's operculum would cause complications for the polyp in eating the snail anyway so I had to pull the snail.

at least i know my acan is still alive lol.

I kinda went ahead and ordered more stuff x_x

I want some lettuce sea slugs and a bit of xenia in here....I know I normally hate and despise xenia for the way it looks and cuz everyone has it, but i guess it was that time in my reefing career that i would try it out :P

I also wonder how well red bearded sponge would do in a tropical tank.......i would like to have some here if it has the chance of surviving.

thanks!

I think the red bearded might live in my tank since its geographically found all along the east coast, as far down as Florida, and there the water is quite warm. thus i think they can live in warmer water, which was my primary concern. Its just that my invert class found some of that nice red sponge on the jersey shore, and I was thinking of taking a little sample from the lab tanks to my home tank and seeing how it does :)

I really like the bright red-orange color it has.

darn it....

out of the three lettuce slugs that arrived today, only one was alive >_< I was hoping to get these fellows to breed but it looks like that wont be happening now. also the xenia i got doesn't look so hot (I guess the urban legend of xenia not handling shipping well is true). there were two zoas on the xenia frag, i hope they open soon so i can see what they are (might be dragon eyes, but i cant really tell from the outside lmao)

thanks! theres so much more to take pics of, but i got distracted by the lettuce slug incident, so i guess ill take more pics when i post up an FTS at the end of this month.

Xenia ships great if it is attached to a piece of styrofoam and floated. Otherwise it doesn't do very well.

blast it, it was on a frag plug. at least the zoas on that plug looks like theyre alive still...have not opened today though.

blast it, it was on a frag plug. at least the zoas on that plug looks like theyre alive still...have not opened today though.

Ya that sucks. Who did you get it from? If they are in the coral business they should know better than to let it float around in the bag on a frag plug.

Tank is sweet by the way.

thanks. seller offers to replace the xenia and slugs so not everything is lost if the xenia doesnt make it.

and thanks, as soon as the cyano is defeated, i bet the tank will look great :)

OK, I took pics of pretty much everything else in my tank(save two birdsnests and some less impressive corals):

Torch

RSCN2277.jpg

Some variety of Palythoa

RSCN2278.jpg

Green Birdsnest (favorite SPS btw)

RSCN2275.jpg

Busy corner

DSCN2263.jpg

A pic from that spot

RSCN2273.jpg

Zoas

RSCN2276.jpg

More zoas

RSCN2274.jpg

Holywood chalice is doing ok

DSCN2268.jpg

More zoas

DSCN2261.jpg

I think its frogspawn, but was sold as green hammer coral

DSCN2260.jpg

Some monties(Montipora)

DSCN2270.jpg

Another one (all white growth happened since i got it)

DSCN2271.jpg

Acan looks a bit better, good enough to post a picture of it (remember it was bleached in the last FTS)

RSCN2292.jpg

Now all thats left is the current FTS, but i dont have the time to properly take that yet. will do before the end of the month.

dang , i thought i sub'd this thread.. guess not -- amazing dude! This is killing me -- u got so many different frags now -- i gotta see the fts now! when's the actual date for posting the pic for this contest?

what kinda camera are you using? the pics seem to be real nice quality. Im assuming ur taking them at the macro setting for the close up ones? or is that just automatic? great shots

That torch is really nice!

Looks like the acan is coming back :)

That green hammer is a hammer coral, just like how "octospawn" is still really frogspawn, it just has more tips on the end, your hammer just has more tips. Neat! I've never seen one like that!

@will:

Thanks! I have until the end of each month to post the FTS. the FTS is not as good as you think, its jsut a bunch of rags everywhere. in fact these individual coral shots make the tank sound good, when in reality the tank looks very "busy" like the frag hell that it is lol.

Nikon Coolpix 4600, very poor camera IMO, I would prefer the SLR or D60 or D90 of w/e those real nice ones are. I did use macro setting for most of these pics. i think the clearer ones anyway.

@yoshi: thanks, the torch is one of my favorites in this tank!

Yes, but the acan used to be nice and blue, but now the red has taken over most of its tissue =/ i hope its blue zooxanthellae will multiply and make it look blue again (its getting a green tint gradually)

Is it really a hammer? Torch, hammer and frogspawn are in the same family (maybe even same genus?) it looked much more like frogspawn to me, but maybe its is really hammer...its polyp is very large and the tentacles are very long. that whole hammer coral is just one big polyp! The same with the torch i think.

I forgot 3 pics:

DSCN2256.jpg

RSCN2280.jpg

RSCN2279.jpg

Archived