Pod Your Reef

Newman's 10 Gallon Piece of Ocean

.Newman.

haha yes i realize she's going to become female if she is not a female already. both of these clowns are from the same tank of a local Petco, and i made sure i picked a tiny clown to be my male and a larger one to be the female.

thanks for taking a look pismo :)

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought two foods today:

Formula One Flake

and

New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula

Both foods pass with flying colors as both clowns readily accepted them when the pumps are turned off. they still have trouble taking flake when pumps are on though as they must not be used to free-floating flake bits. the pellets they catch regardless of pumps being on or off. This is great news!

Here they are together(as you can see the little clown takes in a LOT more food, probably because he has a normal shape mouth):

goldifhs258.jpg

And some profile shots:

Big clown (she is regaining her black outlines slowly)

goldifhs259.jpg

Little clown (he's the most active)

goldifhs257.jpg

making my ATO system for this tank today. I also moved some things in here from my 3 gal - the big red rhodactis shroom, a little GSP, and three tiny zoa frags that cant really be seen here.

today's FTS:

goldifhs263.jpg

Heyyyyo found your 10g tank. Nice clowns, it looks bigger than a 10 to me. so how are you making your ATO?

thank you :)

it might just be because the clowns are still young.

I will be splicing a float sensor thing into a regular extension chord. then an aqualifter will be plugged into that extension chord, to lift water with airline out of a reservoir such as a 1 gallon poland spring just that i normally use for my 3 gal. this will be the same exact system that i use on my 3 gallon pico ATO.

Normally this is not safe at all, but my float sensor is rated for much more current than the extension chord which makes the setup safer as opposed to being the other way around. if the float sensor was rated for less, then it would burn out quite quickly and would nuke my tank with FW. this already happened to me once on my 3 gal tank when i was setting it up with LR, and i used a tiny cheap float sensor that was too weak to handle the current of the extension cord, burnt out in a few hours and i came back to a tank what was about to overflow. salinity dropped to 1.020 which wasn't that fatal to LR, thank god i caught this in time. no more cheap little float sensors lol.

risk of fire is diminished by using a powerful float sensor, electrical tape to cover the splicing wires, sodering the connection, and elevating these wires so that water cannot trickle down them to the spot of connection and short circuit it.

THAT is how i set up my ATO :) Ghetto but works.

I changed the T5 bulbs from the stock coralife to 1 ATI Blue plus bulb and 1 UVL Indigo sun bulb. corals should like this light more :)

goldifhs265.jpg

How do you like that bulb combo?

You are the first person I know of for sure besides me who has tried it.

There may be others out there, but they haven't posted about it.

i appreciate the suggestion for these bulbs, Weetabix, I do like the blue look of it :)

It isnt even purple, its actually BLUE lol.

things arent looking good in terms of global warming. this tank was at a record high today of 91F when i returned from my 3 day weekend away from the house. I bet yesterday, on the hottest day to date, it was even more than 91F >_<

I need a chiller type of thing...

Jebus at 91 degrees I can smell it from here.. LOL really can't but you know.. on a 10g you could get away with a iceprobe if you can get hold of one.. it would work great on you tank.

my frozen bottles of rO water melt so quickly that they dont even lower the temp 2 degrees and must be replenished like every 20 min which i clearly cant do when im at work or going on vacation for a month lol.

livestock seems alive. and i dare say well.

ill need to get two of those chiller things, one for this tank and the other for my 3 gal. will definitely be worth it as it *may* allow me to upgrade to MH lights sometime down the line..

o wow, iceprobes and other small chillers are way too expensive. i went with two fans blowing on the fuge instead. we will see how much they can lower the temps..

ok now i battling a heater vs the fans. they did a good job at lowering the temp down to around 78F and they would actually keep lowering it so i put in a heater. this is in the night time tho idk how its going to work during the day when temps are hotter and light is on..

The heater will help maintain a stable temp. You will eventually want to put the fan on a timer (to work when you need it most).

i need it all the time lol. indoor temps reach 85F sometimes even at night x_x

but you are very right, in the winter ill probably only need it when the lights come on :)

ok well the fans over the fuge were a bad idea. they increase top-off water consumption by more than 5x with 1/3 of a gallon of top -off gone overnight there is no way this is going to work for a month unless i have like a 20 gal reservoir, if that.

So what i did was i moved the fans directly over my T-5 light to keep the light cool when its on, and a little bit of air escapes from the fans, onto the water as it exists the aquaclear filter through that waterfall. that should help cool it too.

I will update on the day and night temps soon.

last night i got the temp down to around 76F with the heater on.

changed the setup this morning and temps started climbing up to 78F right now.

temp is at 80F now. hope it doesnt go up much more.

my Peppermint shrimp was moved from my 3 gal yesterday night to this tank. it took a few hours for the shrimp to mercilessly slaughter it but now there is no sign of aiptasia in this tank :D

Archived