ReefCleaners.org

Newman's 10 Gallon Piece of Ocean

.Newman.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@castiel: you mean the porcelain crab? or something regarding my scape? the porcelain is pretty standard. the carapace is dime size and the appendages make up the bulk of her size.

@Pal818: thanks, but dont be sad, yours should recover well and will look the same quality. remember yours arrived from a horrible tank, but they have the potential.

@Squared: never spot feed him any mysis, so idk. he does react when i pour mysis remains into this tank though. i'm sure he would eat mysis if i tried. i'll try next time and let you know. I feed my fish three days a week and when i do, i feed several times in that day. the crab tries to catch w/e pellets and flakes are floating in the water when the clowns eat. also on those days i feed the tank a little Zooplan, and recently I've started feeding Phytoplan too, so the crab filters that out of the water more successfully than the pellet/flake.

And thanks yoshii :)

@castiel: you mean the porcelain crab? or something regarding my scape? the porcelain is pretty standard. the carapace is dime size and the appendages make up the bulk of her size.

I mean your birdsnest - it looks like a giant crab claw now it has grown. This pic makes it look like your porcelain is on top of another giant crab:

DSCN3263.jpg

@Squared: never spot feed him any mysis, so idk. he does react when i pour mysis remains into this tank though. i'm sure he would eat mysis if i tried. i'll try next time and let you know. I feed my fish three days a week and when i do, i feed several times in that day. the crab tries to catch w/e pellets and flakes are floating in the water when the clowns eat. also on those days i feed the tank a little Zooplan, and recently I've started feeding Phytoplan too, so the crab filters that out of the water more successfully than the pellet/flake.

porcelins seem cool but i don't want to add any filter feeder foods to my tank...

looking good BTW :)

I know you've only had the Phytoplan for a short time, but how do you like it so far? I've heard some good things about it, but it doesn't seem as popular as other phytoplankton feeds

I know you've only had the Phytoplan for a short time, but how do you like it so far? I've heard some good things about it, but it doesn't seem as popular as other phytoplankton feeds

its seems good! live phyto is most popular i'd imagine haha?

Everyone else, thanks for checking out this tank!

porcelins seem cool but i don't want to add any filter feeder foods to my tank...

looking good BTW :)

The porcelain does accept mysis btw. tried it today.

surfskate700

thank you Newman for inspiring me to set up my own 10gallon tank. Loved reading, especially all the quality photographs of various corals and their growth. Thanks :)

not sure what is was. it was green and red. smart as hell too. if you bobbed your head at it it would dance with you. lol

i have a sun conure!!! his name is mango! love him to death!

glad you guys like the tank :)

@iswim: nice! They're such awesome birds! a bit loud and intimidating when you first meet them, but once they befriend you they are awesome little guys.

How old is yours? care to share any pics? I might post up a pic of Neo then :P

I'm going away for about 2 weeks, so im going to do a water change the day before i leave and have someone feed the clowns three times a week while i'm gone.

I'll get back to you guys on how the tank did while i was gone.

thanks am.

RIP feather duster worm :(

Idk exactly what happened, but i found him today being eaten by the ricordea that was sitting below the entrance to his tube. the ric was 1/3 the size of the worm, yet it was able to kill it o_o

The worm was pretty much dead when i found him, so i fed his body to the only coral in my tank that could handle the size of the animal (4.5" of worm) - the hammer coral polyp. This was a ridiculous death, the worm could have lived for so much longer if this didn't happen. now i know not to put any corals around the tube of a fanworm...

• 3 weeks later...

during my vacation i decided to sell most of my tanks including this one since i want to move sometime next year. However when i returned i discovered a problem with my plans. the person who was feeding the fish and birds decided to turn off the MH light at some point (looks like the first week of my absence based on the fading of the coral) so the tank ran only on the tiny amount of sunlight it got during the morning. The only problem with the tank is, that it will be tougher to sell the corals the way they are now. I will have to wait on some corals to hopefully recover at least half of the original coloration they had when i left...There were no losses though as far as any animal goes.

Some corals did fine however, and will be ready for sale soon. I will be selling the corals via the classified section of these forums. So if anyone liked something in my tank, be sure to stop by the sale threads once i start selling :)

ThePhilosopher

Looking good. This has to be one of those tanks with more variety when it comes to corals and I'm especially loving the look of everything now that you added some blue lighting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally, after 3+ months of slowly selling livestock, this tank was taken down today. soon some of the remaining equipment like the 70W MH lamp will be sold in the hardware section of the forum.

Archived