Coral Vue Hydros

17g Green Leaf Rimless

divecj5

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey adam check these out they come in blue and black. I almost used them on my tank before i decided on sunlight.

Your tank looks great even with one frag in it.

Thanks for the link man. They look like a really great option. I might just snag some black and blue paper from work to see what the tank looks like first before taking the plunge with film. It's not that it looks bad now, it's just that the wall behind it is brown so the colors and water clarity just don't pop.

Thanks for the compliment on the tank!! I'm going to try my best to keep it clean, uncluttered, and simple. We'll see how that works in another 6 months :)

And here you were harassingnme about pictures...haha :lol:

Thanks for stopping by the thread!!

As far as the filtration methods, so far so good although i haven't added any bioload. With these smaller tanks, i really think you can keep the filtration to a minimum. AS LONG as you keep up with water changes, don't go too crazy with feedings, and generally keep an eye on things, you can accomplish a ton

in these small tanks.

What are you going to put into the AC70? Are you using it as a HOB fugue or jus a place for some filter media? I plan on using either an Eheim or Rena XP external canister for holding filter media. With that, careful feeding, a solid clean up crew, and decent flow, the possibilities are wide open.

For sand, I'm using Arag-Alive Fiji Purple. Great grain size in my opinion.

Do you have a thread started yet?

-Adam

Hey Adam,

I'm going with the same approach with my GLA 12g long in regards to filtration, but I'm also going to incorporate the AC70 modded as a fuge, withust some chaeto to start.

I do have a thread started, even though I'm still waiting on the tank, but I figured it would be best to start it early while I'm still in the planning stage.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=243383&hl=

I'm going with the same approach with my GLA 12g long in regards to filtration, but I'm also going to incorporate the AC70 modded as a fuge, withust some chaeto to start.

Looks like you're off to a great start. Let me know if you're interested in the AC70 that I have laying around.

-Adam

Thanks man...I'm really looking forward to the fun involved with this project for sure.

I just updated my thread with the response to you in regards to the AC70. PM me with the condition of the unit and some pictures if you have time of course.

Nick's Reef

Looks good adam, can't wait to see it fully stocked. Rocks get boring after awhile, I'm waiting to add corals till I get a skimmer for the 40brd since it will be all sps. Hermit crabs are about the most interesting think to look at right now.

Looks good adam, can't wait to see it fully stocked. Rocks get boring after awhile, I'm waiting to add corals till I get a skimmer for the 40brd since it will be all sps. Hermit crabs are about the most interesting think to look at right now.

Thanks Nick. I'm glad I'm not the only one left staring at snails and bare rock :D I'm looking forward to stocking as well. This time I'm going to focus on a mix of top-notch Euphyllia, Acans, some select Zoas/Palys (if they survive in this tank) and only 2-3 SPS. I went crazy with SPS in my 20H and although I think they are hands-down the most amazing things to keep, cultivate and grow, they do require a fair amount of diligence. I want a tank that is a little more self-sufficient and something doesn't require constant tinkering to keep color and growth at a premium.

I need to check out your thread soon....

-Adam

Notice anything different?

p708249480-3.jpg

p1057269838-3.jpg

I finally made up my mind and decided to test out using window film for the background. I was leaning away from painting the back since A) I really didn't want to permanently alter the tank and B) I wasn't sure how I would really like the black as a background. I've only used blue in the past and I have to say, I'm really happy with the difference. My wife still isn't completely sold on the black (she likes the blue) but hopefully she'll change her tune once there are coral and fish in there. Even though it's just live rock, it sure stands out against it :lol: I'm starting to really get excited about this tank!!

I'm planning on writing up more about what I used and some tips/tricks that I've figured out along the way.

-Adam

Looks great Adam. It will look even better soon :)

As for fish why not try a Flameback Angel or Cherub Angel ( or a pair! ). With nothing really in there you could train it on prepared foods....

-Dave

Looks great Adam. It will look even better soon :)

As for fish why not try a Flameback Angel or Cherub Angel ( or a pair! ). With nothing really in there you could train it on prepared foods....

-Dave

Thanks Dave!! Might have to contemplate getting an Angel again. The only thing is that it would have to be a really small juvi given the size of this tank. I know our LFS was getting some really nice small Angels a while back so I might have to snoop around there again and see what they have.

So many choices or directions to go with the fish....

I think you said they have a QM account. If so ask them to check there stock out and see if they have any small sized. Small with QM is around 1"-1 1/4"

-Dave

andrewguilfoy

you wouldn't be permanently changing the background by painting it, just saying! even the krylon fusion nothing really sticks. I mean it has a durability to it, the krylon fusion is much more adhesive to glass/plastic, but with a clean razor it will all come off like dirt and windex, and without a scratch too.

Looking good though!!

Notice anything different?

p708249480-3.jpg

p1057269838-3.jpg

I finally made up my mind and decided to test out using window film for the background. I was leaning away from painting the back since A) I really didn't want to permanently alter the tank and B) I wasn't sure how I would really like the black as a background. I've only used blue in the past and I have to say, I'm really happy with the difference. My wife still isn't completely sold on the black (she likes the blue) but hopefully she'll change her tune once there are coral and fish in there. Even though it's just live rock, it sure stands out against it :lol: I'm starting to really get excited about this tank!!

I'm planning on writing up more about what I used and some tips/tricks that I've figured out along the way.

-Adam

It looks good adam... much more dramatic. Nice job!

Ooooooh...I like the new background a lot. It's making me want to try the same thing. Where did you get the film?

Thanks. I just bought a roll of Gila Privacy window film from Lowe's. I think a 4 foot roll is about $13 and instead of buying the $7 application kit, just mix 1 tsp Johnson and Johnson No Tears Baby Shampoo with a quart of water in a spray bottle and instead of a squegee, I just wrapped a credit card with a no lint cloth for application. It was SUPER easy to apply and is just as easy to remove and reapply.

It looks good adam... much more dramatic. Nice job!

Thanks. I agree that it's definitely a much more dramatic look. I would have just left it clear in the back but the brown color that our living room is was just throwing off the color. Now it is was right by a window like yours, I would be all over it.

I love the new background!

I think I'll do that for the 125! :)

Do it!!! It would probably be a two person job to place it on the tank but then again, you could just work a small bit at a time and I'm sure it would be easy enough.

I dont mean to hijack but I figure you would like this...

Ryujin teaser...

IMG_5388-1.jpg

:o:happydance:

Um....please hijack away Dave. I'm SO excited now!!

I got a few much needed (well some) additions to the tank. Weetie was nice enough to "rehome" her juvi fighting conch, which is awesome looking, as well as 3 really beefy Tonga Nassarius. I think these are going to do a great job of keeping things nice and clean. At least I hope ;)

Also, since we were already doing overnight shipping for the conch, I asked if she just so happened to have any of her sweet macro that needed to be trimmed. Her last words before sending were "not sure if anything does but I'll dig around for ya." Next thing I know, she tells me that she's sending a "small" piece of Stypopodium Zonale. You can see by the pictures below, it's not exactly a "small" piece, at least not to me.

Thanks again Weetie...you're the best :flower:

Sorry that most of these are a little dark :(

FnF Sunset Acan (moved over from 20H yesterday)

p448670150-3.jpg

Flame Algae (in a lot more flow now)

p77420440-3.jpg

Stypopodium Zonale (should turn a nice yellow/green)

p395281964-3.jpg

The Macro Rock (maybe eventually some mini nems)

p101511145-3.jpg

-Adam

Woo Hoo we're on a roll now!

Rock n' Roll!!

:happydance:

I would have had to cut a leaf in half to send a smaller piece than that, and that just seemed silly, so.....

I'm definitely not complaining :)

I have to say, the macros look pretty cool swaying in the flow. I'll have to grab a video some time soon.

Archived