Innovative Marine Aquariums

17g Green Leaf Rimless

divecj5

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 6

fine grit sandpaper, imo.

just make sure you don't try cleaning your glass with sand caught in your nimble.

I wish they made one with something other than Velcro, something that would remove the green coralline algae easily.

I agree....seems like a razor is about the best bet for removing the super-thick and touch green coralline.

PS - Looks like CJerome is still pretty backed up as it says he's not currently accepting anymore orders on his site. I shot him a quick e-mail so we'll see what he says.

interesting - well, if you can't get one from him, you can buy mine. i won't need it with the upgrade.

Sweet D. I'll let you know if I hear back from him over the next few.

Woot! Nice to see another GLA tank, and I love the minimal scape.

Awesome...heading to check out your tank in a little. Glad you like the scape as well.

Tank With Lights

I was just home for lunch and couldn't resist moving my Aquatinics fixture over the tank at least long enough for a quick photo session. Although not completely filled (Fathers Day was hectic), it's cool to see where the shaded spots will be and to start thinking about coral placement.

This is with one ATI Blue + and one ATI Aquablue Spezial.

p894311111-3.jpg

Left-side Rock

p790569102-3.jpg

-Adam

Love the scape. I'm going to do something minimalistic and modern like that too. Nice inspiration.

Thanks man. Can't wait to see what you decide for your next tank and what you create as far as a scape for it. The last couple of tanks I really just dumped the rock in the tank and left it be....this time around I would mess around with it, leave it for a day or two, come back and move something else and repeat.

:lol: I was waiting for someone to find a picture of a turtle that resembles my scape. That one hits it SQUARE on the head. You never disappoint.

Thanks Animal!!

Awesome looking scape. Love the open look it gives.

Thanks and welcome to NR. I've always been a huge fan of open tanks with lots of room for swimming. I've just never successfully been able to accomplish it. ;)

Great looking tank. The 2fishes scraper is great. Gets in just aboot everywhere and cleans well. Good Luck!

Thanks for the feedback on the tank and the scraper as well. I might pick one up with my next order of salt.

-------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, it looks like I may be heading down to the Gulf to help with oil spill response the first part of July. I'm really looking forward to helping but not really looking forward to the 12-14 hour days.

p894311111-3.jpg

Left-side Rock

p790569102-3.jpg

-Adam

+1 - where is the water shots! I like the turtle rock btw :) .

They got buried on the last page :)

Where did you come up with that scape?

Good question. With my previous tanks, I always shot for having a somewhat open scape, but in the end I never took the time to A) break up the rocks and create something I liked and B ) just focused on the coral and fish. After three tanks, I now realize just how much your aquascape impacts the way your tank will turn out. It really ends up impacting flow, no matter how much you have, once you start adding plating and branching SPS. I liken it to the foundation of a house....I don't care if the frame of the house is made out of titanium, if the foundation is shoddy, it will eventually be the limiting factor.

With this tank, I went into it having a fairly good idea of what I wanted to create, what coral I want to focus on, and I think I came pretty close in the end. My overall inspiration came from tanks such as jjjo's rimless branching reef as well as others on here and RC/R2R that replicate bonsai in our tanks. Some other inspiration and goals were -

• Keeping rock to a minimum.
  • Maximizing open space
  • Keeping as much rock off of the sand surface to allow better flow under and around.
  • Creating a more dynamic look with "branches" and a variety of angles and swim throughs

The thing that will be a challenge for me, knowing how I added and added frags with my 20H, is limiting myself in the number and types of coral I add and allowing room for growth. It's amazing how fast some coral grow and how quickly they encroach on one another.

Oh yeah, and if I add any encrusting montis, they will be on their own rock. They quickly can take up some serious real-estate. :)

Sorry for the long-winded reply.

lakshwadeep

Great scaping! For about two months I've been seeding some dry rock, and I now realize that I can only use a fraction of them if I want to keep a similar open appearance.

Great scaping! For about two months I've been seeding some dry rock, and I now realize that I can only use a fraction of them if I want to keep a similar open appearance.

Thanks buddy. In my opinion, dry rock is the way to go. It certainly takes longer to seed and get all of the nice macro and micro fauna but it gives you the piece of mind knowing there won't be any pests or nuisance algae. I've had two tanks become infested to the point of having to tear them down; first being vermitids and the second Neomeris. The only way that I would use live rock would be if I was certain where it was coming from or if it was coming from a previous tank.

I think I have a total of around 8-9 pounds of rock in this tank, if that. I ordered 5 pounds of Fiji from BRS and I still have a couple of larger "boulders" laying around. I set aside some smaller pieces a while back from my old 29.

That's really thought out, it'll turn out amazing for sure!

Thanks Animal. Since I wasn't in a rush to "just get it up and going," I really wanted to take my time this go around.

So far so go....I just forgot how boring it is staring at a lifeless tank though :)

Deleted User 6

My wife doesn't like your scape. I told her I was going to copy you and she said she wanted the tank "lush and colorful." I then tried to explain that you hadn't added corals yet and she didn't seem impressed. I just thought you should these things.

My wife doesn't like your scape. I told her I was going to copy you and she said she wanted the tank "lush and colorful." I then tried to explain that you hadn't added corals yet and she didn't seem impressed. I just thought you should these things.

:lol: :lol: Tell your wife....

bumblebee%20guy.jpg

Actually, I still get similar comments from my wife on occasion, although now they're more along the lines of "so....how long does that bad boy have to sit there before we can add some coral." ;)

Archived