SaltCritters.com

17g Green Leaf Rimless

divecj5

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NaClCrocodile

Dunno about being located in Jacksonville - I'm in Gainesville and I picked up my 33G rimless from their office in town. I love mine - can't wait to get it running. I may have to pick up a new one (smaller) for the dorm.

I'm so glad you're setting this tank up. You are going to love the rimless look w/led lighting. Did you get the stand yet? Need more pics!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see this one up and running for sure! If Dave's friend you're referring to is the one that built my stand I'd definitely recommend him.

I'm sure it's the same guy...he is the one that made Dave's crazy steel stand. Might have him make me something later this year as they really look awesome.

That is a nice clean tank. Good luck with the new set up.

Thanks. It's like a new car, so clean when you first get it that you hate to get it dirty/wet :)

Pic's ? :huh:

Im finishing up my scape this morning and assembling the stand. Hopefully i can grab a bunch of pictures this afternoon.

I'm so glad you're setting this tank up. You are going to love the rimless look w/led lighting. Did you get the stand yet? Need more pics!!!!!!!!!!!!

I picked up the stand last night and just need to assembly it. I'm really excited about the rimless look as well...can't wait to get it going and see it with the LEDs.

Dunno about being located in Jacksonville - I'm in Gainesville and I picked up my 33G rimless from their office in town. I love mine - can't wait to get it running. I may have to pick up a new one (smaller) for the dorm.

You're exactly right....i meant Gainseville instead of Jacksonville. Must be nice to be right around the corner from then. One of their smaller tanks would be an awesome dorm room tank. I wish was into reef keeping in college...i was more into SCUBA and backpacking.

Mission accomplished!!!

...well at least everything is together and 17 gallons is currently mixing away.

First off, I forgot how much fun it is setting up a new tank. It's been almost 2 years since I set up my 20H and it seems like it gets less nerve-wracking and more enjoyable with each tank. Either that or I'm just thinking things through and moving slower with each tank ;)

I have to say, this is the first tank that I've EVER been really happy with the way the scape came out. There are still some things that I want to tweak on the right hand side of the tank but I know exactly what I want so it's just a matter of finding the right rock.

I'll go more into the inspiration behind this tank and how I plan on dividing which species go where (SPS on the left up top, Acans on the bottom, Todds Torch on the the right rock or on the "branch" off the left). I have plenty of time to tinker with the scape while I wait for it to cycle and wait for the lights.

It's hard to see the depth of the scape without any corals attached but it really looks dynamic in person. Hopefully some of that carries through in the pictures.

It should be totally filled tomorrow morning and then let the fun begin :happydance: More pictures once it's filled and settled tomorrow/Monday.

Vortech MP10

p541222208-3.jpg

p805260162-3.jpg

Preparation

p902369910-3.jpg

Clean for the last time....

p845869729-3.jpg

Aquascape Series

p580151718-3.jpg

Left-side Rock - This was built out of 6 different rocks that I epoxied together over the last couple of weeks. And yes, I think it resembles either a Galapogos Tortois or Brontosaurus :lol:

p829474514-3.jpg

p790164011-3.jpg

Plenty of tweaking to do but I was trying to go for minimal rock with the largest dynamic impact. I always dig tanks with loads of open space. I'm SO excited about this tank now :)

-Adam

NaClCrocodile

Nice! I think I may start playing with rock soon. I may have to go with a single structure in the middle though :(. Maybe I'll bet the Green Leaf 12x12x12 cube. I'll have to find the perfect rock though.

Wow - this is gonna be an awesome tank ... I'll enjoy seeing it come together!

I had never heard of 'Green Leaf Aquariums' until I clicked this link ... sure seems though that with all that ADA has done over the past few years to offer contemporary styling and now with rimless tanks from GLA and Mr Aqua and others that simple and clean design is the trend in the hobby.

this is going to be a slick looking setup i think...

Thanks. I hope it turns out slick as well.

awesome! i love that left rock.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm overall really happy with the left rock as well. Took some time to assemble, stare at for a bit, and rearrange before settling and epoxying it all together.

Nice! I think I may start playing with rock soon. I may have to go with a single structure in the middle though :(. Maybe I'll bet the Green Leaf 12x12x12 cube. I'll have to find the perfect rock though.

In a cube tank such as the 12x12x12, I think a really nice single structure would be perfect. If you can't find the perfect rock, you can always create your own like I did. I'm using nothing but Fiji base from BRS and it's always plenty to work with.

I'm loving the scape dive. It's going to look super slick when it's filled up. What's your plan for lighting?

Thanks for the compliment on the scape!! Means a lot considering your tank ;)

For lighting, I am going to be testing/buying one of DFason's prototype LED systems. It will consist of 12 Cree XPs, either 40 or 60 degree optics, and a nice mix of royal blue and white "bulbs." The overall color will edge on more of the blue side as I've always preferred coloration over growth in my coral. Should be complete by the end of this month :)

simple and clean design is the trend in the hobby.

Thanks for following along. I hadn't heard about GLA until I saw someone else get one on here a while ago. The clean, simple, rimless design is definitely the way the hobby appears to be trending. AIO's were definitely HUGE a few years ago and now it seems like the simpler the sexier B)

Now that's an awesome Turtle Scape :happy:

Glad you like it :D

Nice rock work! ------> Is the water wet yet :happydance:

Water was pretty wet this morning and ready for the tank. ;) It's about 3/4 full right now. Might move the t5 fixture over it tonight to see what it looks like.

Thanks nUgZ. My plan for the next week is working on a nice simple structure for the right hand side. Nothing really more than an inch or two high as i want to keep the relief between the height on the left compared to the right.

Can't grab any more pictures tonight but will definitely grab some with my T5s tomorrow. The water is already pretty clear :)

Question - Any suggestions on small yet efficient algae magnets? I've always wanted to pick up a Nimble Nano but I know that it can take a really long time to get them made and shipped. These look interesting but I'm not sure how well they can get into the corners - Nano Mag

I know nothing compared to a good ol' fashioned razor blade but I like to keep my hands out of the tank as much as possible.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Deleted User 6

I like my nimble, and I think he's caught up on production. I just wish it floated. I've been scratching my glass recently somehow, and I think it's my nano. If you get one though, get the super.

I like my nimble, and I think he's caught up on production. I just wish it floated. I've been scratching my glass recently somehow, and I think it's my nano. If you get one though, get the super.

Thanks D. Glad to hear that he is getting caught up....I remember it being months that people were waiting originally. Thanks for the heads up on the super vs. the nano as well. I might just order one and use my mag-float from my 20H for the time being.

Archived