ReefCleaners.org

17g Green Leaf Rimless

divecj5

Just a minor update on the tank. It's been up and running now for a month and looks fantastic...fantastically empty :lol: . While DFason is working away like a worker in a sweat shop on the lighting, I've been moving my T5 fixture over the tank in the morning and moving it back in the afternoon over the 20H. It's a little tedious but I just couldn't stand looking at a dark tank.

Question -

I believe the phosphate issues that I've been dealing with in my 20H is due in large part to the fact that I never added enough "sand stirrers" right off the bat. After a little over a year, I finally added some Nassarius and began stirring the sand bed...releasing all sorts of goodness.

That said, I'd like to do things right this time around so I'm looking for suggestions on a nice diverse clean up crew. Just to test the waters (and because I don't want to buy a NH3, NO2 kit), I dropped a Nassarius snail in the tank yesterday morning and he's now happily cruising the tank, so all must be well.

Here were my thoughts so far -

• ~10 Nassarius
  • ~10 Ceriths
  • Dwarf Fighting Conch (whenever I can find one)

Should I also snag a few hermits? I used to have them in my first tank (55g) and they did do a great job of cleaning up stray food scraps and detritus in the corners. Just wondering which tend to be the best.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

-Adam

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 6

hermits will slowly kill off your snail population. i personally don't care all that much because snails are cheap and hermits eat algaes that I can't get snails to touch.

did you PM John M for the conch? he might have access to other types of sand-sifters as well. ime, you can't beat nass, but they're carnivores so make sure there's enough stray food floating around after feedings.

hermits will slowly kill off your snail population. i personally don't care all that much because snails are cheap and hermits eat algaes that I can't get snails to touch.

Thanks D. That's what I observed when I used to have hermits, but like you said, snails are pretty cheap and as long as there is enough "food scrapes" for the hermits to eat, I think they do a decent job of keeping things clean without a ton of disturbance.

did you PM John M for the conch? he might have access to other types of sand-sifters as well. ime, you can't beat nass, but they're carnivores so make sure there's enough stray food floating around after feedings.

Get a CUC from John at ReefCleaners. He''ll give you a very diverse CUC for an excellent price.

I'm definitely going with an order through ReefCleaners as you just can't beat his prices. I just have to remember that when you order 10, it's really more like 25 ;) I'll shoot him an e-mail later today to see what he thinks might be a diverse group for a decent price.

I also suggest using John - I recently received a shipment from him and all was great. He has some dwarf ceriths that are very, very small and perfect for a 17g. They get in the little nooks and crannies that normal sized snails can't reach. I would suggest those in addition to what you've already listed.

Let me know if you place an order. I need more chaeto and maybe some other macro as well. I'd like to add to your order and we can split shipping. Just let me know...

I also suggest using John - I recently received a shipment from him and all was great. He has some dwarf ceriths that are very, very small and perfect for a 17g. They get in the little nooks and crannies that normal sized snails can't reach. I would suggest those in addition to what you've already listed.

Let me know if you place an order. I need more chaeto and maybe some other macro as well. I'd like to add to your order and we can split shipping. Just let me know...

Thanks for the suggestions Karen. I ordered about 10 dwarf ceriths a while back and you're right, they're perfect for the smaller areas. I just have to remember that if i order 10, it usually ends up being 20 since John is more than generous. That or he doesn't know how to count :)

I'll probably place an order over the next week or so. I'll PM you in a day or two to get the order together. I'm all for saving on shipping.

I have a Juvenile Conch (excellent sand cleaner) and 2 Super Large Tonga Nassarius that I need to rehome if you want them.

I'm switching out to a larger tank and it will be barebottom, so I can't use them there.

I have a Juvenile Conch (excellent sand cleaner) and 2 Super Large Tonga Nassarius that I need to rehome if you want them.

I'm switching out to a larger tank and it will be barebottom, so I can't use them there.

I'm definitely interested Weetie. I'll send you a PM later today so we can work something up. I've been looking for a juvenile/small conch.

-Adam

I'm definitely interested Weetie. I'll send you a PM later today so we can work something up. I've been looking for a juvenile/small conch.

-Adam

Cool, I'd be happy to send them on to a good home. :happy:

Moar pix

Moar moar moar

Don't u know

I'm a photo whoar

At least your honest :) That's the first step, right?

PIX!! we wanna see the turtle :)

I'm going to go on a picture shooting-spree this evening so I'll have something together tomorrow morning. Nothing really much has changed with the tank other than adding 3 Ceriths, 1 Nerite and a couple of Brittle Stars to the tank.

I am going to take Weetie up on her offer of the Juvi Fighting Conch and 3 Tonga Nassarius. Hopefully these, along with what I already have, will help me reach my goal of a spot-free sand bed.

Really chomping at the bit to get my lighting so I can get some life in this bad boy....staring at an empty tank with snails is only cool for so long. At least it's giving the tank a chance to fully cycle and get ready for action.

-Adam

airman_verde04

ADAM!!! WTH is this thing.. did you get a raise at work so you can have two tanks now!! hahaha.. this is super sweet set up.. making me super envious over here as I am tankless for at least 5 years (when the wife finishes grad school, maybe she will get me a tank for Christmas in about 2 years). You going to keep the other tank up as well? sorry if you mentioned this or not, I'm tired and didn't get to read all of your page.

ADAM!!! WTH is this thing.. did you get a raise at work so you can have two tanks now!! hahaha.. this is super sweet set up.. making me super envious over here as I am tankless for at least 5 years (when the wife finishes grad school, maybe she will get me a tank for Christmas in about 2 years). You going to keep the other tank up as well? sorry if you mentioned this or not, I'm tired and didn't get to read all of your page.

Haha...no, no raise at work -_- . I've always wanted a rimless tank and couldn't pass up on the deal I got through Green Leaf. Also, DFason is working on a prototype of his LED lighting so basically all of the reefing "stars" aligned.

Although my wife would like me to keep both tanks up and running, I may eventually move what I want to keep into the 17g, sell what I don't, and keep just one tank. That or I'm going to keep it up and running, remove most of the SPS and get a really nice RBTA for the clowns. Still not sure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I should have some updated shots this afternoon. Things got a little hectic this weekend and I didn't have a whole lot of free time.

I'm also getting a juvenile conch and a couple Tonga Nassarius from Weetie this week. Going to get the clean up crew right from the beginning in this one :happydance:

You're just blind :P

I took some yesterday but just haven't had the time to convert, process, and post. I haven't been posting pictures because honestly the tank is pretty damn boring right now. Just waiting on my lighting and then I can finally start moving coral over and adding some life.

I did move a small Frogspawn frag over from the 20H yesterday but the tentacles were retracted. I had to add some life to the tank ;)

-Adam

Nothing really new happenin' with the tank lately. As I mentioned above, moved a Frogspawn frag into the new tank so it's still getting used to the new place.

To keep you picture-mongering folks appeased....on to the pictures :)

From The Left Looking Right

p935478752-3.jpg

From The Right Looking Left

p825360912-3.jpg

Little Frogspawn (looks like little pom poms right now)

p635571338-3.jpg

Full Tank Shot

p562186702-3.jpg

On another note, I think I am going to cover the back of this tank after all. I never really had any intention of painting it but never could find any other options. Anyone have any suggestions for a material that can/could be used to cover the back now that it's in place? I thought I saw someone suggest window tint but can't find it now.

Also, I'm thinking of trimming the Flame Algae from DHaut and adding a small sprig to this tank. Should give it a nice touch of color and hopefully will grow well.

-Adam

Just google window film or window tint, you'll come up with options.

You can also use vinyl.

Thanks Weetie. For some reason I thought there was a specific tint % that was best. VicSkimmr suggested vinyl as well but thought it would be pretty tough to get rid of bubbles since it's in place. I might take him up on his offer of a small sheet to try.

*scurries off to check Google*

working like a slave! I swear you will have something soon Adam. I had a serious ear infection that has knocked me out for a few days ( looks like my ear swallowed a big mac ).

-Dave

working like a slave! I swear you will have something soon Adam. I had a serious ear infection that has knocked me out for a few days ( looks like my ear swallowed a big mac ).

-Dave

Don't worry Dave. I know you've been busting a hump buddy. As the saying goes, good things come to those who wait. I know it's going to be more than worth it in the end.

Sorry to hear about the ear infection...I had so many when I was younger that I had tubes in both ears when I was 5 and I was one more away from having surgery. It sucks even worse as an adult especially since they don't give you the watermelon flavored Amoxicillin :lol:

Tank looks good. Can't wait to see the lighting Fason comes up with.

How has your filtrations methods worked so far on your setup?

I'm waiting for my 12g long GLA to come back in stock, but I'm looking to utilize the rock, sand, and AC70 fuge mod for my filtration. Along with a minimalistic approach to my aquascape and tank creatures of sorts, so I feel it should suffice.

What type of sand are you using?

AH ####! I can't see your pics at work, lol.

And here you were harassingnme about pictures...haha :lol:

Tank looks good. Can't wait to see the lighting Fason comes up with.

How has your filtrations methods worked so far on your setup?

I'm waiting for my 12g long GLA to come back in stock, but I'm looking to utilize the rock, sand, and AC70 fuge mod for my filtration. Along with a minimalistic approach to my aquascape and tank creatures of sorts, so I feel it should suffice.

What type of sand are you using?

Thanks for stopping by the thread!!

As far as the filtration methods, so far so good although i haven't added any bioload. With these smaller tanks, i really think you can keep the filtration to a minimum. AS LONG as you keep up with water changes, don't go too crazy with feedings, and generally keep an eye on things, you can accomplish a ton

in these small tanks.

What are you going to put into the AC70? Are you using it as a HOB fugue or jus a place for some filter media? I plan on using either an Eheim or Rena XP external canister for holding filter media. With that, careful feeding, a solid clean up crew, and decent flow, the possibilities are wide open.

For sand, I'm using Arag-Alive Fiji Purple. Great grain size in my opinion.

Do you have a thread started yet?

-Adam

Archived