Innovative Marine Aquariums

17g Green Leaf Rimless

divecj5

blizzardscout2

That is a sharp looking tank. I cant wait to see what it looks like in operation. I will have to look into Green Leaf when I decide to go big.

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't believe you'd consider anything but a Kemp's Ridley, man. Disappointed. They're just about as critically endangered as possible... therefore, they're really just "rare". And as we know, "rare" in this hobby is worth like 100x hipster cred.

I seriously considered the Kemp's but I wasn't sure anyone would be able to care for it if I went out of town. Since it's so rare, do you think I can get one of the cheap and frag it a few times ;)

Sounds like a great plan!

Thanks man. I really can't wait to get some life in this tank. I talked to the owner of our LFS and he said that they can get these fish in pretty regularly. They're a little on the spendy side ($29 each) but I think a group of 2-3 plus some smaller gobies would be pretty cool.

My inspiration for schooling fish, beyond the fact that they look cool, are the times that I've been diving in the Keys. On one wreck dive, everyone else swam off and I just chilled under this ledge watching a massive school (probably several hundred) of small fish swim in and out of the rock. It was hypnotic to say the least.

so are you going with a HOB filter/? obviously your not going with a seperate Sump because the Green Leaf tanks have Tempured bottom glass, which cant be drilled, but im sure you know that.. gonna leave the back clear or blue/black?? any type of glass lid to prevent evap? tune me in on this lighting your getting! come on dude, i need some specs here

You always need details don't you Digg? :P

I have no intention of drilling this tank. My plan for the time being is to use lily pipes to feed a medium sized Eheim canister filter. Instead of using the filter media that comes with it (does anyone use that stuff) I'll more than likely run some RowaPhos and Carbon. I don't have the canister yet so that will be coming down the line. I may eventually run a sump if someone ever comes out with a decent looking nano-sized overflow.

For the lighting, I'm going to be one of DFason's guinea pigs for his new line of LED lighting that he is starting. In total, there will be a total of 12 Cree XPs with more than likely 7-8 royal blues and the rest white so that I get more of a 14k look. We're currently debating whether to go with a single fixture that holds all of the bulbs or having two smaller units, one over each rock island. Dave and I have been talking about this for 8+ months and not only am I excited for him to get his line going, but I'm REALLY excited to be one of his testers.

For the back of the tank, I'm thinking of leaving it clear for the time being. If anything, I will use some black vinyl from VicSkimmr to cover the back, but I'm a little worried about bubbles since the tank is in place now.

This will be open-top for sure. I've never been a big fan of glass tops, especially on rimless tanks. I think it just cuts down the sleek sexiness :naughtydance: Although I've only placed my T5s over the tank a few days since it's been up, there has been very little evaporation so far. The LEDs should run just as cool if not cooler than the T5s so I'm not overly concerned. I think I've gone through a total of 2 gallons of top off in the last 2 weeks for the tank.

I'm 90% Orlando said that the only glass that is tempered is on their tanks that are 36" or longer. Although in their storefront they had their largest one drilled with a closed loop on the bottom. :huh:

Thanks for the information. I'd be really really :scarry: to drill one of these tanks. Then again, I'd be nervous to drill any tank.

That is a sharp looking tank. I cant wait to see what it looks like in operation. I will have to look into Green Leaf when I decide to go big.

Thanks for the compliment!! I can't wait to see it in operation as well. I'm definitely sold on the Green Leaf tanks. Great value, great business ideals, and great products.

Stocking list sounds awesome!!!!!!!!

Thanks Animal.

P.S. - Every time I see your name, I think.....

08_07_23_animal_muppet.jpg

there's a lot of word vomit and little pictures here. what is up adam?

Considering I don't have lighting (yet) for the tank and since I started with dead base rock, nothing really cooking in the tank other than bacteria :) I'm a little bored looking at an empty tank as well :lol:

I should have a mockup of what the lighting will look like (from DFason) this weekend.

animalmaster6

hahaha My avatar is awesome. It was either that or this

223052047_91c52ae0c6.jpg

or this

25021400.JPG

I used the Emperor Tamarin for the Reef-Solutions Forums and the Senegal Bushbaby for the Lionfish Lair Forums

I seriously considered the Kemp's but I wasn't sure anyone would be able to care for it if I went out of town. Since it's so rare, do you think I can get one of the cheap and frag it a few times ;)

Wait... the fact that there's serious discussion of fragging a massively endangered sea turtle is making me laugh way too hard right now... :lol:

Wait... the fact that there's serious discussion of fragging a massively endangered sea turtle is making me laugh way too hard right now... :lol:

Are you drinking anything?

Did you spew any fluids out yer nose?

Nah, finished my drinking several hours ago. Though, nachos did sorta coat my screen... they REALLY hurt when they come out your nostrils...

<Insert comment here slandering the current prevailing political alignment in the US for nonsensical reasons.>

@Animal....love the face on the Emperor Tamarin. :lol:

Nah, finished my drinking several hours ago. Though, nachos did sorta coat my screen... they REALLY hurt when they come out your nostrils...

Nothing like a little nacho/jalapenos to get the ol' olfactory system going ;)

hey guys lets start a political convo on adams thread. it'll be fun and laughing will be had by all.

That sounds like a fantastic idea........ :slap:;)

hey guys lets start a political convo on adams thread. it'll be fun and laughing will be had by all.

Hee Hee

WHAT IS HE TALKING ABOUT!

From Chairman Maobama's immigration speech.

"It was at this time that a young woman named Emma Lazarus, whose own family fled persecution from Europe generations earlier, took up the cause of these new immigrants. Although she was a poet, she spent much of her time advocating for better health care and housing for the newcomers. And inspired by what she saw and heard, she wrote down her thoughts and donated a piece of work to help pay for the construction of a new statue — the Statue of Liberty — which actually was funded in part by small donations from people across America."

entire speech transcript here.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2010/0...ration-speech/

Wasn't the statue of liberty a present from the French?

Nothing like a little nacho/jalapenos to get the ol' olfactory system going ;)

I tell ya... it's the first time they've worked right since I poisoned myself a few months back! And by "right", I mean, "my face is on fire inside right now".

check yer email Adam.

-D

Thanks Dave.

Here are two mockups of the Ryujin light that Dave is working on. I'm sure he'll be talking more about his lighting on one of his threads but here are the general specs:

• The top has two spots for a hanging kit.
    Cooled by two 40mm fans.
    Wires would run through tubing.
    1" in tall and 13-14"

If I give him the exact location of the rock "islands" I have he can customize it even more to their location. I think he was thinking of either a matte grey or matte black for the color.

Bottom

I can't get over how small the height of the units are. Should be pretty damn slick.

Been following this thread for a while just waiting for the lighting. But an idea. Why not make them adjustable? No reason that I can really see to have them fixed at the ends. I'm assuming the two tubes in the middle are just for carrying wires. Why not have a little excess wire and have the tubes go to the ends of the fixture with caps on the end. The two LED spotlights would be able to simply slide accordingly. It would let you be able to customize your lighting just in case. And allow you to play with the distribution and make brighter/darker spots.

Just an idea. I was just thinking if the Ryujin lighting ever gets bigger than just a few customized units the sliding track would be a better for the mass market.

Edit: noticed the fixture is hung from the two LED spotlights. Might as well move the hanging device to the ends of the tube or in the middle. But also the tubes would probably not be able to be a circle to deal with balance issues.

Interested to see how everything turns out Adam. I'm picking up a shallow rimless tank myself so it should be fun to watch them progress.

Archived