Cultivated Reef

The Marine Planted Tank & Macro Algae Thread

bitts

Some pictures that you're free to use from my 17g rimless.

Flame Algae

p77420440-3.jpg

Stypopodium Zonale (should turn a nice yellow/green)

p395281964-3.jpg

The Macro Rock (Flame, Frogspawn, Stypopodium Zonale)

p101511145-3.jpg

Just received the Stypopodium from Weetie (thanks again) so it's only been in the tank for about an hour. Should now how it reacts to the flow and lighting soon.

-Adam

:lol: Weets thats the tank that got me into this as well. Pic's are on the first page, but I think the links been missing. thanks for finding it. its hard not to love that tank.
briansbelle

ok think i got i narrowed down to 2 fish for the tank.

A yellow or black clown goby and a firefish. And 1000 pods for the 20 and my 40 breeder.

Will those 2 be ok with my sexies?

Also i plan to order some mesh to make a top out of, i have everything else just need mesh.

What size should i get?

Thanks!!

Edited by briansbelle

I was reading some stuff on which fish likes which algae. When I came across this.

"The leafy macro algae are known for being high in HUFA conten."

Any idea what there talking about.

briansbelle

Not sure bitts.

I do have a question though, posted in my tank thread too.

What makes the tips od some macros turn clear?

Some of my fern and blade caluerpa have half clear leaves. The others look fine.

I was thinking it may be due to the fact that there is only an emerald crab in there for now till weds and my 2 gobies and inverts get here. And i get some poop in there.

Jeremai

mostly to the content of it in the different types of macro. How ever if you can comment as to the others it would be helpful. I'm still googling it so. Having some with a stronger knowledge base speak on it would be good.

Belle I'd day it not getting the proper nutrients or lack of lighting. but Envy or Weets may be ale to weigh in with more experience.

Edited by bitts
briansbelle

Thanks bitts- i would guess lack of nutrients bc i have a 2x24w t5ho nova and a 2 bulb t5 coralife light for a total of 84 watts on a 20 long lol

Jeremai

mostly to the content of it in the different types of macro. How ever if you can comment as to the others it would be helpful. I'm still googling it so. Having some with a stronger knowledge base speak on it would be good.

to be honest, it's interesting but generally not relevant to the discussion here. I've heard the same thing, that leafy macros have higher HUFA contents than branching macros (although a paper or two would be nice), but when it comes to feeding fish, the fish generally 'know' what they need. in that sense, a certain individual fish may prefer one type of algae with a certain nutrient makeup over another because of deficiencies in its diet; in the same way, ulva in one tank may have a slightly different makeup of nutrients than ulva in another tank.

things are more streamlined in the wild, but in captive systems it's more or less a crapshoot, imo.

So far all the papers I'm finding are on hufa in relation to things like rotifiers & of little use. AM's question of what's the best macro to feed made my wonder about the nutrition values of each type. But so far I'm not finding much to be relevant. I'm goning to keep lookin but starting to think your right about there being a large difrince between the findings in actual seawater compared to closed systems.

animalmaster6
AM's question of what's the best macro to feed made my wonder about the nutrition values of each type.

Check my thread. I asked what macros tangs won't eat, not which macros tangs eat. :)

I do have a question though, posted in my tank thread too.

What makes the tips od some macros turn clear?

Some of my fern and blade caluerpa have half clear leaves. The others look fine.

I was thinking it may be due to the fact that there is only an emerald crab in there for now till weds and my 2 gobies and inverts get here. And i get some poop in there.

It could be a lack of nutrients...you can cut the clear part off with scissors...I would dose something like Seachems Reef Plus that has trace elements...once macros start to grow fast and take up nutrients you will need to supplement to keep up or it will start to die back. I have always had my prolifera have some clear leaves but I guess that is just normal as long as it doesn't all have clear leaves.

HTH