inTank Media Baskets

The Marine Planted Tank & Macro Algae Thread

bitts

I've been reading some of this thread. It's way to Long for me to find the answer to my question in reasonable time. Is my stock biocube lighting with a 10k and a 50/50 good enough for a macro tank. I'm looking for grasses and taller branching macros as I plan to add a pair of seahorses. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

It is mush to strung out & I'm actually in the middle of a new write up for the original post, due to this. Unfortunately it may be a little while.

In response to your questions. First I have to assume that you are referencing to PC bulbs. I will state that most people do not give PC the respect they should. I have kept clams & sps with them in the past. their weak point is the life of the bulb. Would other forms be be better, perhaps. yet I would not run out to spend a large amount on upgrading with out first trying with the stock setup.

The important thing to remember with lighting algae is the spectral peaks of the chlorophyll (430 & 460 in the blue with a corresponding peak in the 600s). This is listed in the main post so I will direct you there for that info.

• Like 2

Thanks Bitts. I read the first post on lighting spectrum but in all honesty it's a little over my head. In short will a 10k and actinic work for them? I also have a nanotuners upgrade to add the third bulb will that make a big difference if I run a second 10k as well?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Looking at the "blue scroll" algae on the front page, I'm thinking it may be Distromium.

That sure looks like it, I was convinced it was a species of padina

• 2 months later...

All I can say is wow and thank you. This thread is going to help so much with my system.

Let me add...

Planning on a 36g corner bow with 130W CF lighting (2 x 65) and 28W of NOT5. Not too much, but I think I can grow some stuff, especially with regard to macroalgae. Was also thinking about trying the hardier seagrass, as I'll have a sand bed. From what I've read this is totally possible, but I see that many of you have quite a bit more light. I don't want rampant growth, just visible growth.

Liz

Edited by lljdma06

Hey Liz make sure to check out Seabass's tank thread for his seagrass tank & his seagrass reffrence thread.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WOW is all i can say to the info and amazing tanks!! I never see anyone in my area with macro tanks and no one seems to have any interest in it either so im doing it and im getting my info from here and man im excited even more from seeing all the gnarly setups you guys all have.

• 6 months later...
915newmacro4.jpg

stunning but i dont know the name. photo is from organism post in the trade thread.

organisms blue scroll

P1010009-39.jpg

P1010003-47.jpg

P1010014-34.jpg

organisms red spot

P1010002-52.jpg

The first macro-algae is Padina spp. It is a calcareous brown algae. It requires high light and flow.

The second is Halymenia spp. A beautiful red algae. Growth form can vary with flow and lighting. Needs at least moderate lighting for strong growth and moderate flow to keep the broad mucilaginous thalli free of detritus.

Both make ideal specimens for reef tanks.

Edited by aquaman7
  • 2 months later...