Pod Your Reef

The Marine Planted Tank & Macro Algae Thread

bitts

What an incredible resource you've got going here. For my 17g, I plan on having the right side of the tank devoted to a select few macros so hopefully I'll have some pictures to post soon.

After years of trying to get rid of every type of macro that ever crops up in my tanks, I'm slowly starting to realize how beneficial and simply amazing they are. It's knowledge and people trying new things that help to quell and squash the "better get rid of that algae" sentiments of the past. Great job!!

One thing that I see missing, which could be incredibly helpful for the macro-noobs (me), are instructions on how to attach the different types of macros, ie. some need to be placed in the substrate, some can be rubber-banded to a rock, etc.

Thanks again for all of the hard work that's gone into this thread. It's quite the resource!!

-Adam

What an incredible resource you've got going here. For my 17g, I plan on having the right side of the tank devoted to a select few macros so hopefully I'll have some pictures to post soon.

After years of trying to get rid of every type of macro that ever crops up in my tanks, I'm slowly starting to realize how beneficial and simply amazing they are. It's knowledge and people trying new things that help to quell and squash the "better get rid of that algae" sentiments of the past. Great job!!

One thing that I see missing, which could be incredibly helpful for the macro-noobs (me), are instructions on how to attach the different types of macros, ie. some need to be placed in the substrate, some can be rubber-banded to a rock, etc.

Thanks again for all of the hard work that's gone into this thread. It's quite the resource!!

-Adam

You'll have one to get you started tomorrow! :)

IMG_5690.jpg

IMG_5672.jpg

Edited by Weetabix7
Hey weets, what is the nem in the last picture, Aiptasia?

No, no, no!!!

It's from an Anemone Hermit Crab.

The Hermit originally inhabiting the shell that the Nem is on died.

It's a really cool Nem.

briansbelle

Just placed an order from reefs2go. Got 1 pom pom crab, 2 porcelains, and 4 sexy shrimp for the 20 long.

Found the damsel a new home, they are coming to get him tonite.

Will post pics as soon as i redo the scape and take pics when they arrive. Decided on not adding a pom pom crab to my 40 since i would never see it lol!

Another topic that might be fun to cover would be a guide to aqua scaping with macros & there selection for that purpose. ScCaes, Weets, Envy any thoughts on this.

Another topic that might be fun to cover would be a guide to aqua scaping with macros & there selection for that purpose. ScCaes, Weets, Envy any thoughts on this.

I think that would certainly be interesting.

Sbcaes and got2envy would probably have some good input.

This is a subject I feel like I'm still learning about myself. :)

animalmaster6
No, no, no!!!

It's from an Anemone Hermit Crab.

The Hermit originally inhabiting the shell that the Nem is on died.

It's a really cool Nem.

I love them. I would like one but I bet that nem would cause havoc in a reef tank as it hikes on a hermit lol.

Just placed an order from reefs2go. Got 1 pom pom crab, 2 porcelains, and 4 sexy shrimp for the 20 long.

Found the damsel a new home, they are coming to get him tonite.

Will post pics as soon as i redo the scape and take pics when they arrive. Decided on not adding a pom pom crab to my 40 since i would never see it lol!

Sweet!

Weets I know what you mean. Its funny how I started this thread. But would have to say that I may be the least knowledgeable one posting in it. :lol:

Hey AM, take a look at the first post again for me. Want to have some else check the modifications, I made to day.

briansbelle

Bitts-as soon as i reaquascape my tank and get my new inverts in, i will take some pics and i dont mind if you link it on the first page ;)

edit: stitch has went to his new home, will my tank be ok till tuesday with no fish? Only a single emerald for now?

Off to rescape :)

Edited by briansbelle

That would be fun! certain macros def need thought before adding and placment in the tank.

I just moved a bunch around and some were attached to the rock :happy:

Racemosa and saw edge caulerpa all over the place...even in between other macros.

I will do away with these 2 macros if I can by starving them out and letting the feather and prolifera grow.

My hands were very tired after I pruned last night....racemosa grows extremely fast.

Bitts-as soon as i reaquascape my tank and get my new inverts in, i will take some pics and i dont mind if you link it on the first page ;)

edit: stitch has went to his new home, will my tank be ok till tuesday with no fish? Only a single emerald for now?

Off to rescape :)

yep the tank will be fine with no fishies for a bit :)

Bye Stitch :happy:

I'm thinking that the planted marine tank aquascaping should be it's own thread linked back to the first post of this thread.

any thoughts?

Oh & Brian make sure to post a link to your thread in the planted tank index for me. thinkin that it will work better to have a place to post everyones fts & link thats linked back to this threads main post. instead of trying to post everyones in the main post. seemed to be a more inclusive way to run the thread, than only post a couple links.

Ok started a dedicated thread for aqua scaping.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=244951

will be linking it into the main post asap.

briansbelle

Sure thing bitts! Where is the thread i need to post in? Im blonde :) lol!

Oh and its belle, brians my other half ;)

let me know where to post my tank, should i post in the members tank area?

Thanks!!

Oh and i rescaped, it looks alot better, cant wait till my little cheerleader and sexies and porcelains get here :)

yep the tank will be fine with no fishies for a bit :)

Bye Stitch :happy:

thanks maria, the tank will have no fish in it ever, can a macro tank survive without fish and only inverts?

I went without fish in my 10g and my macros started to decline...I added 2 fish and with in days they looked 100% better. I def believe that the fish help the macros with the poop and releasing CO2 when they breath.

I would add a couple of small fish...maybe some gobies or a nice wrasse :unsure:

Edited by got2envy

If your only doing small non agresive fish. Maby a green banded goby pair & a helfirck.

Some day I'm going to have to start likeling more fish. I'm sure every ones tired of that combo by now but there cute.

Belle as to were to link. Just click on members tanks in the main post. It will tack you there. Post a fts & a link to your thread. Then I'll add it to the index.

Hey AM youknow how we were talkin about fish that we like but can't have do to their not being reef safe. Wouldn't some be perfect in a setup like these. If so could you maby make that the next thing you add to the livstock section.

Mmm...

Harliquin tirgger fish....

Lemonpeel angel fish....

Orange spotted file fish....

Again I need to like more fish :lol:

animalmaster6
Thanks! What kind of gobies will work with porcelain crabs, pom pom crab, and 4 sexy shrimp?

Thanks again!

Any gobies except the Pink Spotted Shrimp Goby.

Hey AM youknow how we were talkin about fish that we like but can't have do to their not being reef safe. Wouldn't some be perfect in a setup like these. If so could you maby make that the next thing you add to the livstock section.

Mmm...

Harliquin tirgger fish....

Lemonpeel angel fish....

Orange spotted file fish....

Again I need to like more fish :lol:

Sure I'll add more this weekend :happy:

animalmaster6

As long as you have enough pods yes. I recommend getting a few of those pod pouches from Reef Cleaners. When keeping gobies of this genus you can never have to many pods. These guys will perish without them. In a macro environment I think they'll do well.

briansbelle

Thanks again AM! I am going to call reefs2go and add a hectors and rainford to my order and they have pods on sale too buy 500 get 500 free!

Thanks

animalmaster6

No Prob!! Any other questions ask :)

Whoa that's awesome!!! Definetly get two or three of those. Definetly!

I just added a real big section to the Livestock Post on page one. All about Amblygobius. Check it out!