Pod Your Reef

The Marine Planted Tank & Macro Algae Thread

bitts

I'm planning on setting up a frag tank that will also have a display fuge. What kind of lights would work best for macro? I have a PC fixture with one actinic bulb and one white that I was planning to use. Should I just take the actinic bulb out and go with two white or should I use one of the reddish freshwater plant bulbs? Any advice would be nice!

Amphiprion1

White bulbs work well enough. The main idea is to provide plenty of PAR, though warmer lamps usually emit more PAR per watt. I'm using a 10000K lamp with good results, but it is a high wattage lamp.

Amphi how deep should I plant halophila roots? My SB is 6" deep. The bottom layer is mud/aragasnow and the top layer is the old sandbed from my NPS tank.

Amphiprion1
Amphi how deep should I plant halophila roots? My SB is 6" deep. The bottom layer is mud/aragasnow and the top layer is the old sandbed from my NPS tank.

I don't have any pics to show it, but my Halophila is growing up the glass and well above the substrate in many places. Just deep enough to keep it from drifting away is more than adequate in this species.

Can any one come up with a good working definition, for the difference between marine vascular plants & macroalgae.

Also I want to add a section on substrate. Any input would be appreciated. Plan to add most of the info I have on sand. But things like planting depth. Mud vs sand. Which substrate for which algae. Would be awesome. Thanks guys.

Amphiprion1
Can any one come up with a good working definition, for the difference between marine vascular plants & macroalgae.

I wish. "Algae" is such a polyphyletic definition and the algae we are familiar with have gotten much, much more complex. Phaeophytes, for example, now are in a completely separate taxon at the kingdom level, being more related to some protozoa. Chlorophytes are actually classified as true plants, but not vascular. I don't even want to take a stab at it, lol.

johnmaloney

hmm...I have that problem too with polyphletic words.. :)

how about - macroalgae encompasses any member of the plant kingdom over 2 inches that looks nice, but is not a true vascular plant like sea grasses or mangroves.

That is pretty much the scientific definition anyway.

right. vascular plants have lignified tissues for conducting water, minerals, and photosynthetic products through the plant. algaes do not.

as far as what we have for 'plants' in the hobby, john's on the money - if it's not a mangrove or a seagrass, then it's an algae.

Amphiprion1
Also I want to add a section on substrate. Any input would be appreciated. Plan to add most of the info I have on sand. But things like planting depth. Mud vs sand. Which substrate for which algae. Would be awesome. Thanks guys.

As far as substrate goes in my tank, about 1/3 of it consisted of new fine sand (Tropic Eden). The other 2/3 came from my established 40g and is mixed grade. I did, however, obtain some "mud" from the bottom of LFS liverock systems and that was well mixed into the top substrate layers. I still occasionally add some when I get the opportunity, but it usually just goes on the top layers. I bet putting some in a pipette and shooting it into the top layers of sand in pockets may also be somewhat effective and would be an excellent biodiversity booster.

Can any one speak to the diffrence between mud formed by detrius, silt, so on from the micro fauna ln a system. Comparied to the mud sold for mud basied systems.

Amphiprion1

Well, usually the live rock mud has a much, much higher organic content, as well as more diversity. The mud from live rock does have some mineral/silt content as well. If you want a mud base to mix in with some dry sand, then the commercial preparations may be a better choice--but they aren't going to have "critters" like the other stuff. If you want the full advantage of the live stuff, along with the biodiversity, go with the LR mud. For some seagrasses, it may be optimal to go with both as a base, though you'll want to mix the live stuff in the upper layers.

Thanks envy.

I'm really happy with the amount of knowledge we have been able to gather so far. I just hope I get time to consoladate it into the first page soon.

Do you think it would be usefull to add were the algae comes from to the algae list as well as flow recomendations.

animalmaster6

Awesome article!

Imo you should do this: Add more member tanks because there are tons and tons more. And add more links to the first post.

briansbelle

my 20 long planted macro tank

i set this tank up about 2 weeks ago with all live rock(mostly from my sump) and macros from my 40 breeder(left some pieces in the 40B so i can grow them in both tanks!!)

i will be picking up a mantis for the tank, a local reefer has one he got as a HH on some live rock, and i am gonna give it a home,figure this would be perfect, lots of hidey spots and lots of room,the species its believed to be is (neogonodactyl ooerii)

all of the macros came from maria(got2envy) except the fern caluerpa.

here is a list of equipment and live stock in the tank:

equip:

k1

100 watt stealth heater-will be replacing with a 50 watt soon

mag float small

aqua minder

30" nova 2x24w T5HO fixture(2x10000k) will be replacing with better bulbs soon(any recommendations?)

30" coralife t5 2x18w(NO) also need better bulbs for this light(1x10000k and 1x actinic)

livestock:

flame algae

red spotted macro

blue ochtodes-grows like crazy!!(little pieces were stuck in my overflow, and its now turned into a bush..lol,will also grow on the glass, i have a little bit growing on the glass in here)

red titan

blade caluerpa

fern caluerpa-from a local reefer

codium

20+lbs of live rock-am going to rearrange it tomorrow before i pick up the mantis on thurs. DEF not sticking my hand in there once its in there

1 blue leg evil hermit, will soon be mantis food

1 emerald crab-more than likely mantis food

and stitch my velvet damsel(read they make good tankmates b/c they are hyper and quick..lol)

enough rambling, here are the pics LOL!!

035.jpg

flash:

030.jpg

red spotted macro,fern caluerpa,blade caluerpa,and blue ochtodes in the back:(flash)

027.jpg

same pic, no flash:

026.jpg

stitch cruisin the tank

032.jpg

thanks for looking!!

briansbelle

Hey great tank.

AM as to links did you mean PDF's or tank threads as links, or both. Maybe something I haven't thought of.

briansbelle

That tank is sweet! I may be switching out the idea of a mantis and going with a goby/ pistol pair for this tank. Just not sure how stitch will react. If he gets too crazy i will put him in a bucket and leave him there for a while then add the goby/shrimp pair then reintroduce stitch and watch him.

Hopefully the goby/shrimp pair will be ok with him bc stitch is cool lol

animalmaster6
AM as to links did you mean PDF's or tank threads as links, or both. Maybe something I haven't thought of.

Yes links and PDF's for information links. Expand those a lot more.

You know how you have the member's tanks section? Add more tank threads because there are a ton more.

Sb- Awesome tank!

Add a marine planted tank index to suplement the members tank section.

Please post your tank thread & FTS.