Cultivated Reef

Nanoty's clownfish pron thread

nanoty

You might consider testing out a few DIY larvae snagger ideas on nests that you don't plan to raise. You can still transfer them to a reef for food. Having a working snagger will give you the option of collecting all sorts of spawns possibly from locals who don't want to rear them.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You might consider testing out a few DIY larvae snagger ideas on nests that you don't plan to raise. You can still transfer them to a reef for food. Having a working snagger will give you the option of collecting all sorts of spawns possibly from locals who don't want to rear them.

Good idea.

• 2 weeks later...
How much work/time do you want to put into it? :P

How much time do I want to put or how much do I have to put?

Two different questions, lol.

If I could find a rack like yours I would buy it immediately and save myself the trouble. If I build I would prefer metal and it wouldn't take long to weld it up like I want but gathering material is more difficult and costly. I am not as good at wood building as metal but I could use 2x4s, I just think it is the least efficient way and would take up more room.

As much as I wanted to build some shelves I just can't drag my ass out into my garage when its below freezing IN SE TEXAS DAMNIT!!! Soooo, I've decided to buy a set of shelves I can use. When I get out in this freaking weather tomorrow to do a few things I am going to pick up a set of these.

Got ahold of an Octopus Recirc skimmer that I will be using for the broodstock setup. I will be getting it this weekend as well.

I dunno man... how much weight are you planning to put on it. We use those shelves at work and they are fine for the boxes we put on them but I wouldn't want to put several gallons of water on them.

You can get the kind of shelves Lani has at Lowes - I purchased many sets of those for my work shop storage area - but I got them at Costco - but you know how Costco can be, it's hit and miss if they have stuff like that in stock and never when you actually want it.

Lowes actually sells them by the section and the pieces fit my gorilla racks which is really cool. You can buy just what you need or expand it very easily if you wanted to. I have one 40 foot wall in my shed that is lined with those gorilla racks and they are solid.

These are the ones I got... SOLID

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=g...ed=0CFcQ8wIwAA#

I dunno man... how much weight are you planning to put on it. We use those shelves at work and they are fine for the boxes we put on them but I wouldn't want to put several gallons of water on them.

You can get the kind of shelves Lani has at Lowes - I purchased many sets of those for my work shop storage area - but I got them at Costco - but you know how Costco can be, it's hit and miss if they have stuff like that in stock and never when you actually want it.

Lowes actually sells them by the section and the pieces fit my gorilla racks which is really cool. You can buy just what you need or expand it very easily if you wanted to. I have one 40 foot wall in my shed that is lined with those gorilla racks and they are solid.

Well they say they are rated for 1,000lbs per shelf. I assume that means distributed weight but I didn't figure the ~250lbs of weight I plan on putting would make be over the capacity. I'm not 100% sold on those since I haven't seen them in person and I will decide when I get there tomorrow whether it or something else will work.

Anyways, either way there will be some sort of shelf in my fishroom (laundry room) tomorrow night.

As much as I wanted to build some shelves I just can't drag my ass out into my garage when its below freezing IN SE TEXAS DAMNIT!!!

Oh cry me a river Ty. How cold is it there 50? Its 21 here and I just got out my jacket.

Oh cry me a river Ty. How cold is it there 50? Its 21 here and I just got out my jacket.

Well the last few days at work have been <30deg and we do work outside. One of the remote fire monitors went off on the jetty and within an hour there was at least 3/4" of ice on everything up there. Not to mention the 30mph wind in our face coming off the gulf. Trust me, if I wanted to live in this crap I wouldn't live down here.

lol. Why do you come up here and I'll teach ya how to plow snow. Ice is a beioch. A water main ruptured today and it coated the house in 1+ feet of ice. Funny thing is the owners were like oh well and left for work. I'd had my insurance agent there asap. It was pulling off the gutters and the vinyl siding.

lol. Why do you come up here and I'll teach ya how to plow snow. Ice is a beioch. A water main ruptured today and it coated the house in 1+ feet of ice. Funny thing is the owners were like oh well and left for work. I'd had my insurance agent there asap. It was pulling off the gutters and the vinyl siding.

Damn. Well I lived in Oklahoma for 5 years, I've seen the fun side of ice and snow that falls in feet.

Ok actually breeding question. The tanks I want to use have blue backgrounds and sides and clear glass dividers. I say in Pickles thread that the divider doesn't need to be blacked out. I planned on using the clear unless it became a problem, if so I would add a piece of black acrylic to it.

Question, does one color background seem to have an effect over another? Would black be better over blue for some reason? I may paint the bottom black just to cut down on reflection and make it easier to see when it's dirty. Any thoughts?

my tank is all black. sides, bottom and dividers. i would lie to see if you have some success with no blackened dividers between pairs and see how they do.

my tank is all black. sides, bottom and dividers. i would lie to see if you have some success with no blackened dividers between pairs and see how they do.

Well someone in Pickles thread (have to go back and see) said they use clear dividers and haven't slowed them down. I plan on going with the blue back and sides and painting the bottom black to cut down on reflection and allow me to see detritus better for cleaning. Should the clear dividers become a problem or seem to have a negative effect I will simply cut some thin black acrylic and use clips or magnets to affix them to the glass dividers that are in place now.

On another note, I've cleaned one tank and it looks better than I thought it would. I didn't get to pick up my shelves today but its in the works for tomorrow. I also want to clean another tank and start planning and aquiring parts for the plumbing.

I remember someone saying that as well. Hyper advised against it. I have to agree that it could be a distraction as my females are so protective they fight their own reflections some time. You could go as is and it if is an issue later it wouldn't be hard to slide some black acrylic in against the clear glass.

Somehow I knew you wouldn't get that rack today. I thought you'd at least go check them out though.

I remember someone saying that as well. Hyper advised against it. I have to agree that it could be a distraction as my females are so protective they fight their own reflections some time. You could go as is and it if is an issue later it wouldn't be hard to slide some black acrylic in against the clear glass.

Somehow I knew you wouldn't get that rack today. I thought you'd at least go check them out though.

Blah, blah, blah. The few days off that I do get tend to be packed with honey-dos and other stuff. It just so happened that yesterday was baby shower registering day and we had to go pick up the other kid before I got by. Just got back in from fishing this morning and its on the slate for this afternoon. If not today then tomorrow for sure, I have to go to town anyways and it'll be easy.

I did however get to flush the tank my kid decided to clean with carpet cleaner and it cleaned up better than I thought it would. Need to grab another one out of the shop and get to work tonight. That will give me room for 6 pairs even though I wont need the room. Still I want some extra places for "deals" that might pop up and fish that I might try to pai myself.

LOL - good to hear about the tank... should be fine.

I've learned real fast that you always have to have room for another pair. You just never know.

OMFG, driving all over the damn place looking at racks. Think I decided on the modular one like you suggested despite being double the price.

With I would have just welded one up. Maybe for the growout system....

Archived