Cultivated Reef

Nanoty's clownfish pron thread

nanoty

Having the tank on the floor isn't a huge issue since it's tile. I would just rather have it sitting up off the ground if possible. If I use a tub I would actually prefer it on the tile itself.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mag 24 came in today. Thinking about starting plumbing on my next day off and see how I like the Mag. Maybe I can save the Panworld for the broodstock setup a little later. I will have to see how the Mag works out as far as flow and noise is concerned.

Tuesday I will try and get to Lowes and pick up some plumbing parts to start throwing together.

Mag 24 came in today. Thinking about starting plumbing on my next day off and see how I like the Mag. Maybe I can save the Panworld for the broodstock setup a little later. I will have to see how the Mag works out as far as flow and noise is concerned.

Tuesday I will try and get to Lowes and pick up some plumbing parts to start throwing together.

Nice... I'm curious what pump you end up using myself.

I know it will be a while before you ACTUALLY test one of them - but I'm in no hurry. :P

Nice... I'm curious what pump you end up using myself.

I know it will be a while before you ACTUALLY test one of them - but I'm in no hurry. :P

My time is divided with the jeep project I have been working on in the garage. When I can't work outside because of weather or waiting on parts I work on the tanks. With what I have spent on this jeep already I could have bought an army of spawning clown pairs :(

One ton axles, extended wheelbase and 40s don't come cheap, even doing all the fabrication yourself.

Sounds awesome - I'd like to see some pics of that when you finish it.

I'm looking at picking up a project 4x4 of some sort. What I really need is a cheap "horse feed getter" but I figure I should have some fun with it.

I could post some pics of it torn apart but I must warn you about finished pics, my jeep builds are slower than my tank builds.

Different jeep, traded that one for a couple of 4 wheelers about a year and a half ago. Wife is still mad at me for getting rid of it. New one is 4 years newer and is getting a dana 60 front and 14b rear with 4.56 gears and detroit lockers from a 1.25 ton CUCV military truck. Shaved the 14b and added disc brakes, custom long arm 3 and 4 link suspension using Currie Johnny Joints, 12 inches of wheelbase stretch, competition cut rear fenders, tube front fenders, nitrogen shocks, summit fuel cell, 17" H2 wheels wrapped with 40" Goodyear MTRs with Kevlar. Plus a custom DOM full roll cage to protect the family. All the fabrication being done in the garage by yours truly, mostly by myself hence it taking a while.

The new project/victim. Bought it new in 2002.

DSCN0402.jpg

How about this? Its a lot bigger/heavier than I thought it would be. PanWorld 200PS, 1740gph at 0ft of head. Hopefully it will be a good pump, as it looks to be in decent condition. Especially since I paid less than half of retail for it.

2011-03-15_06-40-49_831.jpg

How about this? Its a lot bigger/heavier than I thought it would be. PanWorld 200PS, 1740gph at 0ft of head. Hopefully it will be a good pump, as it looks to be in decent condition. Especially since I paid less than half of retail for it.

2011-03-15_06-40-49_831.jpg

^^^ well if you dont want it ill buy it from you,,,,,, :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

Try to only update when there is something to update lol. Been working on the jeep a lot and I am camping until Tuesday. I've got a few weeks off for vacation and plan on getting a lot of work done on the jeep and as much as I can on the tank setup. We are looking at some house plans for later this year and I am trying to figure out the best way to incorporate a fish room into a new house.

So after looking at and measuring stock tanks today it seems as though there just isn't one that is going to work like I want, at least not in this setup. So that being said it looks like the 40 breeder is back in for sump duty.

Got a few questions for plumbing. The Panworld pump has a 1" inlet/outlet and I will be drilling the 40 breeder under the water line for a bulkhead to attach the pump to. First I am not a hydraulics expert so I am wondering if I should oversize the bulkhead on the sump to make sure there isn't a restriction based on size of the bulkhead itself and any ID lost due to threading. I also want to use a strainer and that is another reason I am thinking about oversizing the hole. Any thoughts? I am ordering the hole saw and bulkheads as soon as I come to a decision.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it looks as though I may be downsizing my setup inititally. I had planned on running two sectioned 30L tanks with a sump but we are looking more seriously at building a house towards the end of this year and I hate to have to disassemble this entire setup just to move it.

The new house is already being drawn up and will include an 8x10 room (the largest I could fit in the space I want it) dedicated to this system with it's own climate control separate from the house. My wife actually has been pushing for it and I see no reason to argue.

I've been working too much (again) and with the wife about to pop (8 months pregnant) and my other project its been slow going as usual. I was wrestling with finding a tub to use as a sump locally and could not find one that would fit the space I had. Now that this system will not be permanent I am looking at setting it up faster and simpler so I can move the existing pairs into one single large system vs taking care of multiple small tanks as I have been.

I'll make sure and keep track of any progress made, despite how slow it moves, but other than purchasing a ridiculous amount of plumbing supplies there hasn't been much headway made lately. I will need to get this done shortly as I see my "free time" shrinking even more as the new baby arrives next month and I start the building process soon.

I am starting to think I am just unhappy unless I have a metric ton of things to deal with at one time. Wish me and my sanity luck for the next few months.

hurry and raise some babies and sell them to hire a nanny. my kids are 16 and 12 and i got snipped.

much more free time for me and the wifey.

We do wish you- and yours- the very best of luck TY. :)

Thanks, I may need it.

Crazy fool.

:P

Yeah yeah

hurry and raise some babies and sell them to hire a nanny. my kids are 16 and 12 and i got snipped.

much more free time for me and the wifey.

Interesting idea....

• 1 month later...

Well my life was waaaaay to uncomplicated so therefore.......

Introducing baby Jessica. Born yesterday at 13:01 weighing 6lbs14oz,mother and baby are doing well.

2011-05-25_18-14-37_332.jpg

Big brother

2011-05-25_19-30-17_794.jpg

Also believe it or not the simplified clownfish setup is ready for water but the with situation at work getting hectic and this new little rug rat I've been distracted. Probably up and running this weekend then I will get some pics.

Archived