SaltCritters.com

Nanoty's clownfish pron thread

nanoty

where did you get the metal stands from? they are pretty nice. how wide are they? i would love something like that that can hold my 2 48" breeding tanks.

They are a piece together rack from Lowes. You buy all the parts separate to assemble them how you want it. They have different sizes from 18" to 30" or so I think, widths from 48" and larger, dont remember. These are the 48" x 24" ones and my 48" tank fits on it but just barely.

I am happy with them and they are sturdier than all the other ones I could find.

Gorilla Racks one of your home improvement stores should have them mine are 8' long. I added a center brace for the 8' span. One day I will post some pics.

What he said. I wish I had room for the 8 footer.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just playin Ty. I completly understand about the time thing. My wife is itching for our 3 kid, and a new house. Kids cool, I HATE moving. Looking good. Those clowns are gonna have some nice looking clutches. If you need me to test any of them..........I'll help you out. :P

Just playin Ty. I completly understand about the time thing. My wife is itching for our 3 kid, and a new house. Kids cool, I HATE moving. Looking good. Those clowns are gonna have some nice looking clutches. If you need me to test any of them..........I'll help you out. :P

Oh yeah I forgot about looking for a house builder as well :mellow:

Here is a very rough sketch of the plans as of now. I suxors with the google sketchup so y'all get a 4th grade paint picture. It's fairly obvious but the blue is the return, and the orange is the drain lines. The majority of it will be hard piped including the horizontal headers for both the drain and the return. The only soft tubing I want to use is the small section between the header for the drain/return and probably a small section between the return pump and the hard return line. Anyways, tell me what you think. I just worked this up real quick and it is not 100% accurate or finished but I'd like to hear some opinions.

broodstock.jpg

Needs fish. The only change I would do is where you have return pump split and it dumps back into the fuge. I would make that return into the LR chamber. That way your gonna up the yield on your skimmer. That is gonna eliminate double skimming water and force it to only skim water that is coming from the display portion of the setup.

I really like the design - Can I get some details on how you would put the return split together? That can't be just a t-valve. (or can it?)

Pickle most of the time you can put a T inline. Then place a ball valve on the side that feeds back into the fuge. That way you can dial the amt into the fuge. Simple enough to make you get fussy with yourself.

Pickle most of the time you can put a T inline. Then place a ball valve on the side that feeds back into the fuge. That way you can dial the amt into the fuge. Simple enough to make you get fussy with yourself.

Perfect, I pictured the T at the split but not the ball valve - now it is clear! Thanks

Needs fish. The only change I would do is where you have return pump split and it dumps back into the fuge. I would make that return into the LR chamber. That way your gonna up the yield on your skimmer. That is gonna eliminate double skimming water and force it to only skim water that is coming from the display portion of the setup.

I thought about that myself after I posted the drawing but I am glad you brought it back up. Also not in the drawing is the plan to keep the LR in the sump raised off the floor to keep detritus from accumulating and another side section for housing chaeto.

Basically exactly what Josh said. Unless I want to get fancy but I rarely do. I am a bit worried now that the Mag bay be too powerful. I guess we will have to wait and see.

looking good buddy, here's a couple pics of those cubes i told you and kim about i got 4 of them they are really nice just a little dirty thats all!!!

cubefront.jpg

cubefront2.jpg

cuberear.jpg

topshotcube.jpg

Sooooo, as you may have guessed I am working on getting this setup done but as usual things move slow in the Bordelon household. I prefer to wait until the clowns are permanently housed to get things started but should I be conditioning them now? It is difficult to keep up with 4 different tanks as far as keeping them up to proper conditions. I would like to keep them as they are until the time comes when they are moved to a permanent home.

Well my Mag24 should be here any day but I also got a line on a Panworld 200 that I think I am going to pick up. Guess I will either be drilling the 40 breeder after all OR I will switch over to a shallow rubbermaid stock tank.

Still need:

Heaters (probably dual Jager)

Lights (probably single T5)

Controller (wife wants an Apex w/wireless game adapter for internet alerts and control) can't argue with logic :)

if you go with the external panworld pump i'll take the mag off your hands ;)

I maaayyy end up using it for a grow out setup but its undetermined. If I decide to ditch it you'll be the first to know.

Well I was thinking about going to a Rubbermaid stock tank as a sump instead of the 40 breeder but I ran into stag. The 50g stock tank I was going to use is 52" long, 4" wider than the rack I have. At first I thought it wouldn't be a big deal with a few inches of overhang on each side but after looking at the stand there are supports on each side that will limit me from being able to hang the tub over the sides.

I really hate to drill this tank (not that I have a problem with drilling, just hate drilling a brand new 40 breeder for a sump lol).

Version 1.2 of the setup. I am thinking about using the return to feed the skimmer. Perhaps it will not work but if it doesn't I have a Mag7 standing by as a skimmer feed pump. I will have to build a stand for the skimmer and position it outside the stand but there is plenty of room for it.

broodstock-1.jpg

you think a 40b will be big enough of a tank for a sump and to hold enough water coming back after the pumps are shut off? i know my 40g sump i have doesnt hold enough water so i bought a used 75g tank and using it for a sump. its a perfect size for a sump and tons of room for backflow.

you think a 40b will be big enough of a tank for a sump and to hold enough water coming back after the pumps are shut off? i know my 40g sump i have doesnt hold enough water so i bought a used 75g tank and using it for a sump. its a perfect size for a sump and tons of room for backflow.

Depends on the water level I run in the breeder and how low the lowest point (overflow or return) on the systems. I will work it so there is enough room. Thanks for the ideas, I appreciate all concerns.

thats what i ran into and i didnt count for all the water the loc line will pull from the tanks. it will easily overflow my sump if i dont watch it. im getting a 75g tank so i wont have that problem anymore.

thats what i ran into and i didnt count for all the water the loc line will pull from the tanks. it will easily overflow my sump if i dont watch it. im getting a 75g tank so i wont have that problem anymore.

I have that problem with my 90g. If I don't watch the sump level very closely and the siphon does not break fast enough on my return it will overflow the sump. It is a poor design but like that when I got it and I never got around to changing it.

I suppose a check valve would remedy the problem although I don't know the amount of flow it would limit and how reliable it is either way. I will do some math and see what I can get aways with. Really wish I could make the rubbermaid tub work, may have to look at some options there. Of course then I will have 2 brand new 40 breeders laying around that I will have to resist the urge to set up.

Ditch the bottom shelf and turn that tub sideways.

Light bulb! Excellent idea. If I remove the whole bottom shelf I might even be able to squeeze a 70g in there as it is right now there isn't enough vertical clearance for anything but the 50g I could gain another 6"

or so of vertical space taking it out. I originally wanted the bottom shelf on there to keep the glass tank off the floor but there isn't a reason if I am using the stock tank.

Crooks you're a fawking genius.

I will have my sump 75g tank sit on the floor of my basement. I dont want to try and heat my basement floor and I cant have the sump on a stand do to height issues. I am going put a piece of 1" insulation then 1/2" plywood down under the tank. This should only raise the tank 1.5" and keep it off the cold concrete.

Archived